The Bond of Brotherhood

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
The Bond of Brotherhood

Brotherhood is a responsibility that we each have as members of the Muslim Ummah. To fufill our obligation, we first need to understand what is required of us.

"...And lower your wing for the believers (be courteous to the fellow-believers)."
[Al-Hijr 15:88]

The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said,
"None of you has Iman (faith) until he desires for his brother (or sister) Muslim that which he desires for himself (or herself)."
[Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim]

He (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) also said,
"The Muslims in their mutual love, kindness and compassion are like the human body where when one of its parts is in agony the entire body feels the pain, both in sleeplessness and fever."
[Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim]

To love for the sake of Allah (Ta'ala)

The Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said,

"On the Day of Judgement, Allah, the Most High, will announce, 'Where are those who love each other for the sake of My pleasure? This day I am going to shelter them in the shade provided by Me. Today there is no shade except My shade."
[Muslim]

"If a person loves his brother, he should inform him of this fact."
[Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidi]

To be merciful and compassionate toward others

Allah (Ta'ala) says,

"Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and those who are with him are severe against the disbelievers, and merciful among themselves..."
[Al-Fath 48:29]

"Do not be envious of other Muslims; do not overbid at auctions against another Muslim; do not have malice against a Muslim; do not go against a Muslim and forsake him; do not make an offering during a pending transaction. O' servants of Allah, be like brothers (or sisters) with each other. A Muslim is the brother (or sister) of another Muslim; do not hurt him (or her), or look down upon him (or her) or bring shame on him (or her). Piety is a matter of heart (The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) repeated this thrice). It is enough evil for a person to look down upon his Muslim brother (or sister). The blood, property and honor of a Muslim is inviolable to a Musilm."
[Muslim]

To keep company with others

"Keep company with a believer only, and let your food be eaten only by the righteous."
[Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidi]

"A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend."
[Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidi]

To help when necessary and cover shortcomings

"One who helps a fellow Muslim in removing his (or her) difficulty in this world, Allah will remove the former's distress on the Day of Judgement. He who helps to remove the hardship of another, will have his difficulties removed by Allah in this world and in the Hereafter. One who covers the shortcomings of another Muslim, will have his faults covered up in this world and the next by Allah. Allah continues to help a servant so long as he goes on helping his own brother (or sister)."
[Muslim]

To encourage to the right

Allah (Ta'ala) says,

"The believers, men and women. are Auliya (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another, they enjoin (on people) Al-Ma'ruf (i.e. Islamio Monotheism and all that Islma orders one to do), and forbids (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden); they offer their prayers perfectly (Iqamat-as-Salat); and give the Zakat and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah will have His mercy upon them. Surely, Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise."
[At-Tauba 9:71]

When the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) instructed,
"Help your (Muslim) brother (or sister) when he commits a wrong and when a wrong is committed against him, someone asked, "O Messenger of Allah, I understand how I can help him if a wrong is committed against him, but how can I help him if he is himself committing a wrong?" At that the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) answered, "Stopping him from committing the wrong is helping him."
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

To fulfill one's minimum duties and beyond

"A Muslim owes six obligations towards another Muslim: when you meet him (or her), salute him (or her) saying 'Assalamu Alaikum; when he (or she) invites you, accept his (or her) invitation; when he (or she) solicits your advice, advise him (or her) sincerely; when he (or she) sneezes and praises Allah, respond with the supplication Yarhamuk Allah (Allah have mercy on you); when he (or she) falls sick, visit him (or her); on his (or her) death, join his (or her funeral)."
[Muslim]

"When a Muslim visits his (or her) Muslim brother (or sister) who is sick, he (or she) certainly gathers the fruits of Paradise until he (or she) returns (from visiting)."
[Muslim]

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

JAzakAllahu khayr brother Abdul Raheem.
:SMILY252: I love you for the sake of Allah :SMILY252:
The Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said,
"On the Day of Judgement, Allah, the Most High, will announce, 'Where are those who love each other for the sake of My pleasure? This day I am going to shelter them in the shade provided by Me. Today there is no shade except My shade."
[Muslim]

[Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidi]

I love all my Muslim brothers and sisters wherever they are in the world :).

Hmm, isnt it nice to have such big family :p

Here i will add a Hadith for us to reflect upon:

The Prophet :saw:(Blessings and Peace be Upon him) is reported to have said:

"Verily, Allah will say to his slave when He will be taking account of him on the Day of Judgement, 'O' son of Adam, I was hungry and you did not feed me.' He will answer: 'How could I feed you? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so who is the son of so and so felt hunger, and you did not feed him. Alas, had you fed him you would have found that (i.e. reward) with Me.' 'O' son of Adam, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink.' He will reply: 'How could I give You drink? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so, the son of so and so felt thirsty and you did not give him drink. Alas, if you had given him, you would have found that (i.e. reward) with me.' 'O' son of Adam, I became sick and you did not visit Me.' He will answer: 'How can I visit You? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so, the son of so and so became sick and you did not visit him. Alas, had you visited him, you would have found Me with him."' (Sahih Muslim
)

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

The word "Brother" in Islam is not restricted to the relationship between real brothers only, it applies to all muslims regardless of age, men or women and location.

Allah's Apostle said
, "A Muslim is a brother of another Muslim, so he should not oppress him, nor should he hand him over to an oppressor. Whoever fulfilled the needs of his brother, Allah will fulfill his needs; whoever brought his (Muslim) brother out of a discomfort, Allah will bring him out of the discomforts of the Day of Resurrection, and whoever screened a Muslim, Allah will screen him on the Day of Resurrection." [Vol 3: #622]

Narrated by Abdullah bin Umar
Transmitted by Sahih Bukhari

Allah's Messenger (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) said
"Do not be angry with each other and do not envy each other and do not turn away from each other, and be slaves of Allah, brothers. It is not halal for a Muslim to shun his brother for more than three nights." [47.14]

Narrated by Anas ibn Malik
Transmitted by Muwatta

"A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim. He neither oppresses him nor humiliates him nor looks down upon him. The piety is here, (and while saying so) he pointed towards his chest thrice. It is a serious evil for a Muslim that he should look down upon his brother Muslim. All things of a Muslim are inviolable for his brother in faith; his blood, his wealth and his honour".

Narrated by AbuHurayrah
Transmitted by Muslim.

"Beware of suspicion. Suspicion is the most untrue speech. Do not spy and do not eavesdrop. Do not compete with each other and do not envy each other and do not hate each other and do not shun each other. Be slaves of Allah, brothers." [47.15]

Narrated by AbuHurayrah
Transmitted by Muwatta

The Prophet (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself." [Vol 1:#12]

Narrated by Anas

Allah's Apostle (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) said, "If a man says to his brother, 'O Kafir (disbeliever)!' Then surely one of them is such (i.e., a Kafir)." [Vol 8:#125.1]

Narrated by AbuHurayrah

[Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidi]

I love all my Muslim brothers and sisters wherever they are in the world :).

Ahabbakal-lathee 'ahbabtanee lahu
May He for Whose sake you love me, love you.

wasalam

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Brotherhood.....continued

Allah's Messenger (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) said, "Every act of kindness is "sadaqah" and kindness includes meeting your brother with a cheerful face and pouring water from bucket into your brother's vessel." [1910]

Narrated by Jabir ibn Abdullah
Ahmad and Tirmidhi transmitted it. (Mishkat)

AbuKhirash heard the Apostle of Allah (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) say: If one keeps apart from his brother for a year, it is like shedding his blood.

Narrated by AbuKhirash as-Sulam
Transmitted by Abu Dawud

Besides the general kind treatment, brotherly love etc. to be extended to fellow Muslims, there are certain specific rights and claims to be fulfilled.

It is related by Abu Hurairah (radiAllahu anhu) that the Prophet (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) said,
"There are claims of a Muslim upon a Muslim: to return his greetings when he greets, to visit him when he falls ill, to attend his funeral, to accept his invitation to a meal and to pray for him, when he sneezes, by saying 'yarhamukallah' (May the mercy of Allah be on you)."

May Allah the Almighty grant us all, the understanding and the guidance to fulfill our rights and duties to one another, in the manner that has been explained to us by the Holy Prophet :saw: and may He create the bond of true and Sincere Unity between us all....Ameen Ya Rabb...

wasalam