The Descent of AlMasih Jesus, Son of Mary

The Descend of AlMasih Jesus, Son of Mary

• Hadrat Abu Huraira reports that the Prophet (PBUH) of God said: "I swear by Him Who hath power over my life, the son of Mary shall descend among ye as a Just ruler. He will break the cross and kill the swine;[see footnote 5] and he will put an end to war." (Bukhari, Kitab Ahadith al-Anbiya; Bab: Nuzul 'Isa Ibn Maryam; Muslim, Bab: Bayan Nuzul 'Isa; Tirmidhi, Abwab-al-Fitan; Bab Fi Nuzul 'Isa; Musnad Ahmad, Marwiyat Abu Huraira)

In another tradition the word jizya has been substituted for harb, "war", i.e., he will abolish the jizya on non-believers. [see footnote 6]

• Another tradition reported by Hadrat Abu Huraira says, "The Doomsday shall not be established before the descent of Jesus, son of Mary," and these words are followed by the text as given in the tradition above. (Bukhari, Kitab-ul-Muzalim: Bab: Kasr-ul- Salib Ibn Majah, Kitab-ul-Fitan al-Dajjal.)

• Hadrat Abu Huraira reports that the Apsotle (PBUH) of Allah observed: "What will you be like when the son of Mary shall descend among ye and a person among ye will discharge the office of Imam (leader in Prayers)."[see footnote 7] (Bukhari, Kitab Ahadith Anbiya, Bab: Nuzul Isa; Muslim, Nuzul Isa; Musnad Ahmad, Marwiyat Abu Huraira)

• Hadrat Abu Huraira reports the Apostle (PBUH) of Allah having said: "Christ, son of Mary, will then kill the swine and remove the Cross. A congregation for prayer will be held for him. He will distribute such an enormous quantity of goods that none will be left in need of anything. He will abolish taxes. He will encamp at Rauha (a place situated at a distance of 35 miles from Medina) and from there, set out to perform Hajj or Umrah or both." (The reporter is in doubt as to which of these two had been mentioned by the Holy Prophet (PBUH). (Musnad Ahmad, Silsila Marwiyat Abi Huraira; Muslim, Kitab-ul-Hajj; Bab Jawaz-ul- Tamatttu fil-Hajj wa-al-Qir'an)

• Hadrat Abu Huraira relates that the Prophet (PBUH) of God after mentioning the exile of Dajjal said: "The Muslims will be preparing for war with Dajjal and they will be falling in line in preparation for offering Prayers and the Takbir will have been said for Prayers when in the meantime AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam), son of Mary, will descend and lead Muslims in Prayer. The enemy of God, Dajjal, on seeing him will start melting like salt in water. If AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) would leave Dajjal alone, he would melt and die anyway, but God will cause Dajjal to be slain at the hand of AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) and AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will display his spear strained with the blood of Dajjal to the Muslims." (Mishkat, Kitab-ul-Fitan, Bab: al-Malahim, quoted by Muslim)

• Hadrat Abu Huraira reports that the Apostle (PBUH) of Allah affirmed: "No Prophet shall come during the period between me and Jesus ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam). And Jesus shall descend. Recognize him when you see him; he is a man of medium height and of a ruddy, fair complexion. He will be dressed in two pieces of yellow garment. The hair of his head will appear as if water is trickling out of them, though his hair would not be wet. He will fight for the cause of Islam. He will break the Cross into pieces. He will slay the swine. He will abolish the Jizya on non-believers. In his time God will put an end to all other faiths except the religion of Islam. And AlMasih will kill Dajjal. He will live on this earth for a period of forty years and at the end of this period he will pass away. The Muslims will offer the funeral prayers of Christ ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam). (Abu Dawud, Kitab-ul-Malahim, Bab: Khuruj-ul-Dajjal; Musnad Ahmad, Marwiyat Abu Huraira)

• Hadrat Jabir bin Abdullah reports that he heard the Prophet ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) as saying: "Then AlMasih, son of Mary, will descend. The leader of the Muslims will say to him, "Come, lead us in Prayer," but he will reply, "No be thou your own leaders in prayer."[see footnote 8] He will say this out of respect for the dignity that God has bestowed on the people of Islam." (Muslim, Bayan Nuzul Isa ibn Maryam; Musnad Ahmad, Basilsila Marwiyat Jabir bin Abdullah)

• In connection with the episode of Ibn Sayyad, Jabir bin Abdullah relates that Umar bin Khattab (Radhiyallahu 'anhu) submitted: "O Apostle of God, allow me to slay him. In reply the Prophet of God observed, "If indeed this man is he (referring to Dajjal), then he shall be slain by AlMasih, son of Mary. You shall not slay him. But if this man is not he (Dajjal), then you have no right to kill an individual from amongst those with whom we have guaranteed protection (Dhimmies)." (Mishkat, Kitab-ul-Fitan, Bab: Qissa Ibn Sayyad, quoted by Shara al-Sunnah al-Baghawi).

• Jabir b. Abdullah relates that while narrating the episode of Dajjal, the Holy Prophet (PBUH) observed: "At that time AlMasih, son of Mary, will suddenly descend among the Muslims. A congregation will be assembled for prayer and he shall be asked: " O Spirit of God, come forward and lead (us in Prayer)." But he will say, 'No, your own Imam shall step forward and act as the leader.' Thus when the Muslims will have offered the morning Prayer, they will set out to do battle against Dajjal. When that liar will look on AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam), he will start melting like salt in water. AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) shall advance towards him and slay him. And it will come to pass that every stone will cry out: 'Spirit of Allah, this Jew is hiding behind me.' Not a single follower of Dajjal will escape slaughter." (Musnad Ahmad, Basissila Riwayat Jabir b. Abdullah)

• Hadrat an-Nawas b. Sam'an (while relating the story of Dajjal) reports: "Meantime when Dajjal will be engaged in perpetrating such deeds, God shall send AlMasih, son of Mary. AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will descend near the white tower in the eastern quarter of Damascus, wearing two pieces of yellow garment and resting his hands upon the arms of two angels. When he will bend his head, it would seem that drops of water would fall down from his head and when he will raise his head it would seem as if pearls would be trickling in the form of drops. Any infidel who will be within reach of the air of his breath, and the air of his breath will reach as far as his eye would see - will not escape death. Later the son of Mary will pursue Dajjal and will overtake him at the gate of Lydda [see footnote 9] and put him to death." (Muslim, Dhikr Dajjal; Abu Dawud, Kitab ul-Malahim, Bab: Khuruj; Dajjal; Tirmidhi, Abwab-ul-Fitan; Bab: Fi Fitna al-Dajjal; Ibn Majah, Kitab ul-Fitna, Bab: Fitna al-Dajjal)

• Abdullah b. Amr b. al-As says that the Apostle of God (PBUH) observed: "Dajjal will arise in my people and will survive for forty (here the reporter is not certain whether the Prophet mentioned forty days or forty months or forty years). Then God shall send AlMasih, son of Mary, unto the world. He will resemble in appearance with 'Urwa b. Masud (a companion of the Prophet). Christ will pursue Dajjal and put him to death. Following this for a period of seven years the state of the world will be such that a quarrel between two individuals will be unknown." (Muslim, Dhikr-ul-Dajjal)

• Hudhaifa b. Usaid al-Ghifari reports that "once the Holy Prophet (Shalallahu 'alaihi wa Salaam) visited us when we were sitting in company and talking to each other. The holy Prophet(Shalallahu 'alaihi wa Salaam) enquired: "What are you talking about?" The people said,"we were talking about the doomsday." The holy Prophet(Shalallahu 'alaihi wa Salaam) observed :"Doomsday shall not be established before the appearance of ten signs. He then enumarated those signs as:
• Smoke
• Dajjal
• Daabbatul fil ardhi (Al Jassasah)
• Rising of the sun in the West
• The descent of Christ son of Mary (PBUH) • Appearance of Yajuj and Majuj
• Formation of three huge cavities or landslide on the earth, one in the east,
• Second in the west,
• and third in the Arabian Isles,
• Finally, a huge conflagration which will arise in Yemen and drive people towards the plain of Doom."
(Muslim, Kitab ul-Fitan wa Ashtrat-us Sa'h:Abu Dawud, Kitab ul- Malahim, bab: Amarat ul-Sa'h).

• It is reported by Thauban, the freed slave of the Holy Prophet that the holy Prophet (PBUH) observed: "God will grant protection from Hell-fire to two groups from among the people of my Ummah. One group consists of those who will invade India; the other group will consist of those who will align themselves with AlMasih, son of Mary(PBUH)." (Nasa'i,Kitab ul-jihad;Musnad ahmad, Bisilsila Riwayat Thauban)

• Mujamme b. jaria Ansari reports: "I heard the Holy Prophet(PBUH) as saying: AlMasih, son of Mary will slay Dajjal at the gate of Lod(Lydda)." (Musnad Ahmad , Tirmidhi, Abwab-ul-Fitan).

• Abu Umama al-Bahli(mentioning Dajjal in the course of a long tradition) reports "Exactly when the Imam of the Muslims will step forward to lead the morning prayers, AlMasih son of Mary(PBUH) will descend among them. The Imam will retreat to make room for AlMasih to lead the prayers. But AlMasih patting the Imam in the middle of his shoulders will say "Nay thou shall act as leader, for this congregation has assembled to follow you in prayer." Hence the Imam will lead the prayers. When the prayer is over AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will command, `Open the Gate.' The gate shall be thrown open.

Dajjal will be present outside the gate with a host of seventy thousand Jewish troops. As soon as Dajjal catches the sight of AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam), he will say to him," I shall strike you with such force that you will not survive the blow." AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will pursue and overtake him at the Eastern gate of Lod(Lydda). God will cause the jews to be defeated. Earth shall be filled with muslims as a vessel is filled to the brim with water-the entire world shall recite the same Kalima and worship shall be offered to none else except God Almighty." (Ibn Majah,Kitab-ul-Fitan ; Bab : Fitan Dajjal)

• `Uthman b. Abi al-`As reports that he heard the Prophet of God (PBUH) as saying: "And AlMasih son of Mary will descend at the time of morniing prayer. The leader of the muslims will say to him, "O spirit of God, Be thou our leader in prayer." He will answer "The people of this Ummah are leaders unto each other." At this, the leader of the muslims shall step forward and lead the prayers. When the prayer is over, AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will take hold of his weapon and advance towards Dajjal. Dajjal, on seeing Christ shall start melting like lead. AlMasih ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will slay him with his weapon. The companions of Dajjal will be defeated. They will flee away, but will not find a hiding place anywhere. Even the trees of Gharqad will cry out,"O pious, this Jews is hiding behind me," and the stones will say, "O pious, this unbeliever has taken cover behind me." (Musnad Ahmad, Tabarani, Hakim)

• Samura b. Jundub (in a long tradition) ascribes this saying to the Holy Prophet (PBUH): "Then at morning time AlMasih, son of Mary, shall descend among the Muslims. And Allah shall cause Dajjal and his hosts to suffer a most crushing defeat. Even the walls and roots of the trees will cry out, "O pious, this infidel is hiding behind me. Come and strike him to death." (Musnad Ahmad, Hakim)

• A tradition related to 'Imarn b. Husain says that the Prophet of God ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) observed: "There will always be a group of people among my followers who will keep firm faith in right and they shall overwhelm their opponents till God issues a decree and AlMasih son of Mary ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) descends upon earth." (Musnad Ahmad)

• With reference to the episode of Dajjal, 'Aisha Radhiyallahu 'anha (may Allah be pleased with her) reports that "'Iisa ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will descend and slay Dajjal. After 'Iisa (PBUH) shall rule over the earth as a just leader and a benevolent sovereign for a period of forty years." (Musnad Ahmad)

• Safina, the freed slave of the Apostle of God ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) reports (in connection with the episode of Dajjal) that "'Iisa ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) will descend and God shall put an end to the life of Dajjal near the slope of Afiq"[see footnote 10]. (Musnad Ahmad)

• Hadrat Hudaifa b. Yama relates (with reference to Dajjal), "When the Muslims will fall in lines to offer prayers, AlMasih son of Mary ('alaihi Shalawatu wa Salaam) shall descend from heaven before their eyes. He will lead the prayers. When the prayers are over he will say to the people: "Clear the way bewteen me and this enemy of God." God will give victory to the Muslims over the hosts of Dajjal. The Muslims will inflict dire punishment upon the enemy. Even the trees and stones will cry out, "O Abdullah, O Abdul Rahman, O Muslim, come, here is a Jew behind me, kill him." In this way God will cause the Jews to be annihilated and Muslims shall be the victors. They will break the Cross, slaughter the swine and abolish Jizya (levied on non-Muslims)." (Mustadrak Hakim - A brief version of this tradition has been recorded in Muslim. Hafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath-ul-Bari Vol. VI, p. 450 declares this tradition to be authentic.)

The above are twenty-one traditions which have been transmitted on the authority of fourteen companions of the Holy Prophet and have been recorded with correct references in the most authoritative books on Hadith. In addition to these, there are numerous other traditions relating to the same subject, but we have not reproduced them here for the sake of brevity. We have taken as example only those traditions which are sound and authentic as regards chain of transmission.

The implication of "breaking the Cross" and "killing of the swine" is that Christianity will become defunct as a religion. The whole edifice of the Christian religion is based on the belief that God crucified His only son (i.e. Hadrat Isa (PBUH) on the Cross and caused him to suffer this 'accursed' death so that he might thus expiate for the sins of man. Among the followers of God's Prophets, the Christians are unique in having rejected the entire Shariah of God and retaining this belief only.

The swine has been declared unlawful by all the Prophets, but the Christians have gone as far as to make it lawful. Hence when Jesus(PBUH) will proclaim on his appearance, "I am not the son of God; I did not die on the Cross, nor did I expiate for the sins of anyone," the whole basis of Christian belief will be demolished. Similarly, the second distinctive charactertistic of Christianity will vanish when Jesus(PBUH) will say: "I never declared the swine lawful for my followers nor did I proclaim them free from the restraints of Divine Law."

In other words this expression means that differences between the followers of various religions will vanish and the whole mankind will join the brotherhood of Islam. Consequently, there shall no longer be any war or cause for imposing religious tax on anyone. This interpretation is supported by Tradition No. 5 and 15 quoted hereafter.

The implication is that Jesus(PBUH) will not act as the leader of Prayers. He will offer Prayers behind the already existing Imam of Muslims.

The implication of this observation of Christ (PBUH) is that "Someone from amongst you should act as your leader."

Please note that Lod (modern Lydda) is situated at a distance of few miles from Tel Aviv, the capital of the State of Israel in Palestine. The Jews have built a large air-base at this place.

Afiq known as Fiq in modern times is a city in Syria, situated on the borderline between Syria and Israel. There is a lake called Tibriya a few miles toward the west of the city. This lake is the source of river Jordan. Towards the southwest of this lake, there is a path between the mountains which descends two thousand feet to the point in the lake of Tibriya where the river rises. This mountainous path is called the slope of Afiq.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Abu Juwairiya

Its interesting to see Imam Mahdi is mentioned in the above text several times, by description and not by name. He is given the title of 'leader of the Muslims', 'your own Imam', 'The Imam of the Muslims' and 'The Imam'.

Another lesser known feature is the reference to the conquest of India with the words, "God will grant protection from Hell-fire to two groups from among the people of my Ummah. One group consists of those who will invade India." The other group being those in the army of the Messiah.