THE FAST OF THE DAY OF AASHURA

Noor to shine

THE FAST OF THE DAY OF AASHURA (10th Muharram): And the fast of the Day of Aashura, I have sincere hope in Allah that it will atone for the previous year’s sins. (Sahih Muslim)

!0th Muharram will be InshaAllah on Monday 29/1/2007

Kish Mish

Yes InshaAllah ...
Im not 100% why, but I asked my mom we were going to fast on the 10th, and she said no we fast on the 7th,8th and the 9th...rather on 10th we give out food. :S

almouchie

salam
unfortunately it has changed to tuesday here in lebanon
no idea, i can't believe politics is involved in this too
by the way I have a question about 3ashura & thought i might post it here instead of a new thread

few years back , i read about the events that have happened during 3ashura since the days of all the prophets.
i was wondering if someone might know these events
I have tried to review my notes but can't find them

shukran

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam alikom

unfortunately it has changed to tuesday here in lebanon

Sister its better to fast sunday monday and if you think 10th is on tusday in your country then fast it too this way you wont miss the reward of forgving sins of one year past, it wont hurt to fast one or 2 days extra inshallah

The idea is to be on the safe side and make sure one is fasting on the tenth, in case the moon sighting was not accurate and what people think is the ninth is actually the tenth. ( from ISLAM QA)

Im not 100% why, but I asked my mom we were going to fast on the 10th, and she said no we fast on the 7th,8th and the 9th...rather on 10th we give out food

Sister Kish Mish, whats the point of fasting 7th 8th and 9th? and leaving the most imporant day which is 10th which the prophet peace be up on him told us to fast??

You and your family will be missing the reward of fasting the day which will forgive your sin from a year past...so dont miss it sister.

Some people says its on Sunday and some people says its on monday
its better to fast both days this way you wont miss the 10th, and the reward of fasting of Ashura ....

Acutally the prophet peace be up on him told his companion that if he live till next year he will fast the 9th and the 10th..
please read the following..

Question:
How should we fast ‘Aa’shooraa’ this year? Until now, we do not know when the month begins or whether Dhu’l-Hijjah has twenty-nine or thirty days. How can we define when ‘Aa’shooraa’ is and fast it?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
If we do not know whether the month of Dhu’l-Hijjah is complete (30 days) or imcomplete (29 days), and no one tells us when the new moon of Muharram was sighted, then we should follow the basic principle, which is that the month should be completed as thirty days. So Dhu’l-Hijjah is counted as being 30 days long, then we calculate the date of ‘Aashooraa’ on that basis.
If a Muslim wants to be sure that he has fasted on the right day, he should fast two consecutive days at ‘Aashooraa’. So he should calculate when ‘Aa’shooraa’ will be if Dhu’l-Hijjah is twenty-nine days and if it is thirty days, and fast these two days. Thus he will be definite that he has fasted ‘Aashooraa’, and in this case he will have fasted either the ninth and tenth, or the tenth and eleventh, both of which are good. If he wants to be sure of fasting Taasoo’ah (the ninth of Muharram) as well, then he should fast the two days we have spoken of above and the day immediately before them as well. Then he will have fasted the ninth, tenth and eleventh, or the eighth, ninth and tenth. In either case he will have fasted the ninth and tenth for sure.
If someone were to say “My work and other circumstances only allow me to fast one day, so which is the best day for me to fast?” we say to him:
Count Dhu’l-Hijjah as being thirty days and work out the tenth day (of Muharram), then fast on that day.
This is a summary of what I heard our shaykh, ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), say when I asked him about this matter.
If we receive news from a trustworthy Muslim that he has seen the new moon of Muharram, we should act in accordance with that. Fasting at any time in Muharram is Sunnah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best fasting after the month of Ramadaan is fasting in the month of Muharram.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1163)
And Allaah knows best.

As for fasting the 9th and 10th

Recommendation to fast Taasoo’a’ (means 9th) with ‘Ashoora’ (means 10th)

Question:
I want to fast ‘Ashoora’ this year, but some people told me that the Sunnah is to fast the day before as well (Taasoo’a’). Is there any report that this was the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted on the day of ‘Ashoora and told the people to fast, they said, “O Messenger of Allaah, this is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Next year, if Allaah wills, we will fast on the ninth day.” But by the time the following year came, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had passed away.

Narrated by Muslim, 1916.

Al-Shaafa’i and his companions, Ahmad, Ishaaq and others said: It is mustahabb [recommended] to fast both the ninth and the tenth, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted the tenth and intended to fast the ninth.

Based on this, there are different ways of fasting ‘Ashoora’, the least of which is to fast the tenth only, but it is better to fast the ninth as well. The more one fasts in Muharram, the better.

If one were to ask, what is the wisdom behind fasting the ninth as well as the tenth? The answer is:

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The scholars among our companions and others said that there are several reasons for recommending fasting on the ninth day (Tasoo’a’):

1 – The intention behind it is to be different from the Jews who limit their fasting to the tenth day. This was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas.

2 – The intention was to join the fast of ‘Ashoora’ to another day, just as it is not allowed to fast on a Friday on its own [but it is allowed if one fasts the day before or the day after as well].

3 – The idea is to be on the safe side and make sure one is fasting on the tenth, in case the moon sighting was not accurate and what people think is the ninth is actually the tenth.

The strongest of these reasons is in order to be different from the People of the Book. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade resembling the People of the Book in many ahaadeeth. For example, he said concerning ‘Ashoora’: “If I live until next year I will certainly fast the ninth.” Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, part 6.

Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, commenting on the hadeeth “If I live until next year I will certainly fast the ninth”:

His concern to fast the ninth may be understood as meaning that he would not limit himself to that, rather that he would add it to the tenth, either to be on the safe side, or to be different from the Jews and Christians, which is more likely to be correct; this is what may be understood from some of the reports narrated by Muslim.”

From Fath al-Baari, 4/245.

Islam Q&A

wa jazaakom Allah Khyran

salaam alikom

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam alikom Again :)
during 3ashura since the days of all the prophets. i was wondering if someone might know these events I have tried to review my notes but can't find them

you talking about this event?

The virtue of fasting ‘Ashoora’

Question:
I heard that fasting the day of ‘Ashoora’ expiates for the past year, is this true?
Does it expiate for everything, even major sins? What is the reason for venerating this day?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Fasting the day of ‘Ashoora’ does expiate for the past year, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting the day of ‘Arafah I hope Allaah will expiate thereby for the year before it and the year after it, and fasting the day of ‘Ashoora’ I hope Allaah will expiate thereby for the year that came before it.” Narrated by Muslim, 1162. This is by the bounty that Allaah bestows upon us, whereby fasting one day expiates for the sins of a whole year. And Allaah is the Owner of great bounty.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to be very keen to make sure he fasted on the day of ‘Ashoora’ because of its great status. It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I never saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) so keen to make sure he fasted any day and preferring it over another except this day, the day of ‘Ashoora’, and this month – meaning Ramadaan. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1867.

What is meant by being keen to make sure he fasted it is so as to earn its reward.

Secondly:

With regard to the reason why the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted on the day of ‘Ashoora’ and urged the people to do likewise is mentioned in the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1865) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Madeenah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashoora’. He said, “What is this?” They said, “This is a good day, this is the day when Allaah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy and Moosa fasted on this day.” He said, “We have closer to Moosa than you.” So he fasted on this day and told the people to fast.

The words “this is a good day” – according to a version narrated by Muslim, “This is a great day when Allaah saved Moosa and his people and drowned Pharaoh and his people.”

The words “so Moosa fasted on this day” – Muslim added in his report: “In gratitude to Allaah, so that is we fast on this day.”

According to another version narrated by al-Bukhaari, “So we fast it out of respect for it.”

The words “and told the people to fast” – according to another version narrated by al-Bukhaari, “He said to his companions, ‘You are closer to Moosa than them, so fast this day.”

Thirdly:

The expiation of sins that is achieved by fasting ‘Ashoora’ refers to minor sins; with regard to major sins, they need separate repentance.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Fasting the day of ‘Arafaah expiates for all minor sins, in othr words this brings forgiveness for all sins except for major sins.

Then he said:

Fasting the day of ‘Arafaah is an expiation for two years, and the day of ‘Ashoora is an expiation for one year, and if a person’s Ameen coincides with the Ameen of the angels, his previous sins will be forgiven… Each of the things mentioned may bring expiation. If he does something that expiates for minor sins he will be expiated, and if there are no minor or major sins, it will be recorded for him as good deeds and he will rise in status thereby… If there is one or more major sins and no minor sins, we hope that it will reduce his major sins. Al-Majmoo’ Sharh al-Muhadhdhab, part 6.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The expiation of purification, prayer, and fasting Ramadaan, ‘Arafah and ‘Ashoora’ applies to minor sins only. Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, part 5.

Islam Q&A

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
Fasting on Sunday 'Aashooraa'

The virtues of fasting 'Aashooraa'
Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) so keen to fast any day and give it priority over any other than this day, the day of 'Aashooraa', and this month, meaning Ramadaan." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 1867).

The meaning of his being keen was that he intended to fast on that day in the hope of earning the reward for doing so.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "For fasting the day of 'Aashooraa'(10th Muharram), I hope that Allaah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before." (Reported by Muslim, 1976). This is from the bounty of Allaah towards us: for fasting one day He gives us expiation for the sins of a whole year. And Allaah is the Owner of Great Bounty.

It is mustahabb (encouraged) to fast Taasoo'aa' with 'Aashooraa'

'Abd-Allaah ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: "When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted on 'Aashooraa'(10th Muharram) and commanded the Muslims to fast as well, they said, 'O Messenger of Allaah, it is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.' The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, 'If I live to see the next year, in sha Allaah, we will fast on the ninth day(9th Muharram) too.' But it so happened that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) passed away before the next year came." (Reported by Muslim, 1916).

hambaAllah

In Singapore

:bismillah:
:salam2: bros n sis

The 10th of muharram falls on monday but :inshallah::salah: :tti_sister: i will try to fast 3 days in a row 9th/10th/11th.....its saturday 27 jan/8th muharram here time 0945am

:wasalam: :hijabi:

Noor to shine

:salam2: brothers and sisters :
it is better to fast 9th and 10th of Muharram ...i.e. on Sunday and Monday ....as the prophet :saw2: instructed... I pray to Allah swt to accept our fasting and forgive all our sins. Amen

:tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister:

Hannah123

One Truth
:salam2:
I am definitely planning on fasting the three days: 9,10,and 11. I read somewhere that it is good to fast all three. Being new to Islam i haven't much experience fasting except for during the 10 days before Hajj and some of Ramadan, so i'm very excited. Insha'Allaah i will succeed.

almouchie

salam
actually i am not talking about fasting on 3ashura
but rather the 10 events that have happened on this day since all the prophets.
I remember a story about a khulam sinking in the water , a story of one of the prophets, i dont remember the other stories
hope i didnt confuse anyone

bemuslim

DO NOT FOEGET TO FAST TOMMORROW MONDAY JUNUARY 29

DEAR SISTERAS BROTHERS

PLEASE DO U BEST TO FAST TOMMORROW TO PLEASE ALLAH AND TO EARSE ONE YEAR OF PREVIOUS SINS.THOSE WHO CAN NOT JUST FEED THE FASTING PERSONS