The jealousy of the man for his wife

UmmTaymiyyah

The jealousy of the man for his Wife

(Supporting the rights of the believing women-Umm Salamah As-Salafiyyah)

'Iyyaad and others said that it (jealousy) is taken from the verb to change , as in changing the heart and arousing anger. The reason for it being that is it shares something special, and the most severe type is that which is between husband and wife, and that is with respect the rights between humans.(Al-Haafidh records this in al-Fath,Vol 9, pg.321)

As for the rights of Allaah, al-Khattaabee said that the best explanation of it is the explanation given in the Hadeeth of Abee Hurayrah in which the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said:

''Verily Allaah is jealous and the jealousy of Allaah is that a believer does that which Allaah has forbidden.''

The meaning of jealousy is that a man protects the woman from speaking with men who are not a Mahram for her, gazing at them, adorning herself for them, and unveiling herself in front of them. The meaning is not that you question her in her religion and her honour and spy on her. We have in the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam and his companions a good example, and here are examples of their jealousy:

On the authority of al-Mugheera who reported that Sa'd ibn 'Ibaadah said: ''If I saw a man with my wife I would strike him with the sharp side of the sword.'' So, the prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam was informed of that and said:

''Are you suprised by the jealousy of Sa'd? Because I am more jealous than him and Allaah is more jealous than me.'' (sahih al-Bukhari)

He also narrated on the authority of 'Aa'ishah radhiallaahu anhaa, that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said:

''O nation of Muhammad! No one is more jealous than Allah when He sees His servant or His nation commit adultery.''

On the authority of Asmaa' bint Abee Bakr who said:

Az-Zubayr married me and he did not have any wealth or any possessions, at all except for a cames, which helped him to take water, and his horse. I used to feed and water his horse, fix the bucket for getting water, and make dough, but I was not good at baking bread. So our Ansaaree neighbour girls used to bake bread for me, and they were honourable women. I used to carry the date stones from the land that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam had given az-Zubayr on my head, and this land was about two miles from my house. One day, while I was coming with the date stones on my head, I met the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam who was with some ansaaree men. He called me and then said: ''Eekh! Eekh!'' in order for me ride behind him (on his camel). I felt shy to go with the men and I remembered az-Zubayr's jealousy (as he was one of the most jealous people). The Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam knew that I felt shy, so he moved on. So, I came to az-Zubayr and said: ''I met the Messenger of Allaah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam while I was carrying date stones on my head and he had a group of companions with him, and I remembered your jealousy.'' He said: ''By Allaah, the fact that you carry date stones on your head is much more embarrassing to me thatn you riding with him.'' She continued, until Aboo Bakr sent me a servant to look after the horse, and then it was as if I had been set free.

From the jealousy that we are talking about is that the man prevents the woman from exposing her adornments to men that are not lawful to her such as his brothers and other than them.

On the authority of 'Uqbah ibn 'Aamir that the Messenger of Allaah sallallahu said:
''It is forbidden to you to enter upon (unlawful)women. ''So, a man from the Ansaar said: ''O Messenger of Allaah, can we see our sister-in-laws? '' He said: ''The in-laws are death.''

Al-Imaam An-Nawwawee said concerning the meaning of in-laws: Its meaning here is the close relatives of the husband excluding his fathers and children - because they are Mahrams for his wives, and it isl allowable for them (wives) to be alone with them (his father and his children) And they are not described with death. The meaning is his brother, or his nephew, or his uncle and those like them, from those who are not Mahrams. Most people are tolerant in this, and stay alone with the wife of his brother although he is death, and he is the first person who should be blocked from unlawful women.

Also from the jealousy, that we are talking about is not exposing her to trials. Those trials come with his extended absence from her or by his presenting her with something that Allaah has forbidden like the television and so on. Also, that he does not require her to go out a lot to the mall or hospital