The Kufr of Harry Potter books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAllahKnowsBestx

:salam2:

This might come as a "shock" to some of us, but it's actually very creepy and evil on so many levels. Astagfirullah. :(

"An important lecture on the topic of Magic, more specifically how it has found its way in to Muslim homes by way of books, video games and other media, usually under the guise of fiction and educational benefit. The evil characteristics of magic are outlined with examples from the Qur'aan and the Sunnah in addition to an analysis of the Harry Potter phenomena (a magic-laden fiction) which has grasped the attention span of children around the world with remarkable ability"..

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
assalamu alaikum,

I havent listened to lecture insha'Allah will do so.....but I just wanted to say I HATE HARRY POTTER!!! I cant stand the books or movies for that matter.

Thanks for sharing,

xAllahKnowsBestx

assalamu alaikum,

I havent listened to lecture insha'Allah will do so.....but I just wanted to say I HATE HARRY POTTER!!! I cant stand the books or movies for that matter.

Thanks for sharing,

Walaykum assalam.

Masha'Allah, same here! Well at least I've never been a huge fan of it alhamdulillah. Stopped with the first two movies and first book a long time ago.

Astrugglingsoul

:salam2: sister
i haven't seen the videos yet but i just can't really fathom what is wrong with reading a book
don't we all know the harry potter is totally imaginary character and every thing on it is just human imagination?
what is next? the kufr of fairy tales?

abdul-aziz

i haven't seen the videos yet but i just can't really fathom what is wrong with reading a book
don't we all know the harry potter is totally imaginary character and every thing on it is just human imagination?

you have to be carefull; I remember a sheik was asked about fictional readings. The reply was why would you teach your children a lie. They will get used to telling a lie. This is one among other issues.

:wasalam:

xAllahKnowsBestx

Walaykum assalam brother.

Yeah, that's what I thought initially, but I don't think the brother in the video is overreacting at all.. Harry Potter, is full of magic and Pagan stuff. And magic is some serious stuff that could doom a person to hell. I guess it affects children the most. You know how HP fan kids can get obsessed over spells and witchcraft, astagfirullah.

Astrugglingsoul

you have to be carefull; I remember a sheik was asked about fictional readings. The reply was why would you teach your children a lie. They will get used to telling a lie. This is one among other issues.

:salam2: brother
first i am sorry that actually i couldn't control myself. but the thing is i am not a child and harry potter is not only read by children. i have never met any person who read harry potter and became addicted to magic. i mean it is just a book man. i don't know, i gotta admit my Iman is not as strong as some of yours and i still read fictions.

Astrugglingsoul

Walaykum assalam brother.

Yeah, that's what I thought initially, but I don't think the brother in the video is overreacting at all.. Harry Potter, is full of magic and Pagan stuff. And magic is some serious stuff that could doom a person to hell. I guess it affects children the most. You know how HP fan kids can get obsessed over spells and witchcraft, astagfirullah.

:salam2: again sister
it is totally up to you to decide which book your children gonna read but as a grown up person i think HP hardly affects any adults. sister another thing is this is where islamophobia starts, maybe i am terribly wrong with this comment but i am just wondering what will be the non muslims reaction when they hear this

xAllahKnowsBestx

:salam2: again sister
it is totally up to you to decide which book your children gonna read but as a grown up person i think HP hardly affects any adults. sister another thing is this is where islamophobia starts, maybe i am terribly wrong with this comment but i am just wondering what will be the non muslims reaction when they hear this

Walaykum assalam!

About the non Muslims' reactions, well.. Weren't the Christian the first ones to denounce Harry Potter? Many non Muslims hate us already regardless of whether we believe in this stuff or not, lol. I guess it's upto you though, if it affects adults or not, witnessing magic as the speaker said, is bad as well. From the smallest magic trick/illusion performed to it being disguised in books like Harry Potter.

Well, that's just what I think. Forgive me if I said anything wrong here though. :)

abdul-aziz

first i am sorry that actually i couldn't control myself. but the thing is i am not a child and harry potter is not only read by children. i have never met any person who read harry potter and became addicted to magic. i mean it is just a book man. i don't know, i gotta admit my Iman is not as strong as some of yours and i still read fictions.

I am sorry you feel that way, however; my post was not to indicate you are a child in any sense. It was just a kinda reminder to what I have come across. Furthermore, you can do what ever you would like there is no problem with that. Nor am I telling you not to do something as well. so relax.

Now you have in the past posted a video as a reminder. I would like to share with you a video as well with the same speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcTvKVaAIc

about 7:00 minute mark till 9:30 minute mark he discusses the approach to this issue.

everybody reflects their thoughts differently through out life. Doesn't mean they are wrong or right. Just that is the way they view things.

wa Allah ya'lam

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Alhamdulillah!I never liked Harry Potter,all the kids around me would go crazy about him,I never understood what the big deal was.Also I have heard somewhere(I am not sure if it's right,please correct me if I am wrong),that reading fiction or teaching fiction is not allowed because fiction are false tales and teaching kids about them or watching them is like teaching or watching a lie.Also it occupies ones free time,Deviating him/her from Allah's remembrance occupying them with the stories.

:jazaak: for sharing.

Astrugglingsoul

I am sorry you feel that way, however; my post was not to indicate you are a child in any sense. It was just a kinda reminder to what I have come across. Furthermore, you can do what ever you would like there is no problem with that. Nor am I telling you not to do something as well. so relax.

Now you have in the past posted a video as a reminder. I would like to share with you a video as well with the same speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcTvKVaAIc

about 7:00 minute mark till 9:30 minute mark he discusses the approach to this issue.

everybody reflects their thoughts differently through out life. Doesn't mean they are wrong or right. Just that is the way they view things.

wa Allah ya'lam

aha i see you know my weakness then. yes i am a huge fan of brother nouman ali khan. but brother did you see the beginning of the video though? he actually said when we are gonna bring up an issue, it is an issue of priority. my question is this topic a major priority though?and i have never mentioned about movie though. i only talked about books. from minute 7 to 9 he actually talked about how bad the movies are and i already know what pg 13 movies are like. you actually brought up the topic of reading fictions. now in one of my previous reply i already said you are gonna always decide which book your children gonna read. but brother i go to school and i am obliged to read some books in my english class. am i gonna tell them guess what there are lot of things that islam doesn't support, so i am not gonna read it? brother i understand the point. in islam there is no room for magic and stuffs and HP have affects on kids. but i personally don't see the point of not reading fictions actually.

strive-may-i

Ummah who can retell true stories .. need of hour

Its a tough one.. There are kids and elders who tend to like fiction, and they have their reasons. ( there also are, out there, who prefer real stories). So kids in school, (and you know kids like stories), could be influenced. Imagination has a good side and bad side. The stories like in Harry potter etc is imagination together with magical fantasy, a heady mix which could when not careful
- occupy the mind (as pointed out in another post)
- instill a habit of reading one fiction series after another
- give comfort in the make believe world of fiction,
- develop thoughts that are celebrated in the fiction stories
- seed desire or pursue practices which are Evil and
And thus, slowly stop/prevent/impede one from his duty/ Obligation to Allah

So kids can be infulenced [even elders are], you would have to gently make them aware, when to stop. Convey, why a grounding on real is better than fiction. Some might say, a fiction does convey message, we can easily pull enough stories from Quran, Shariah and daily life, based on real people and real incidents, and they make better stories/lessons for any hour of day!

Agreed, Muslims do have better alternatives to Harry Potter/ Twilight series etc. What we need is more Ummah, who can narrate true stories from quran, hadees, real life from memory, with punch. Unless that happens, going boo boo on marketed books will not help the cause..

Point to consider: The title 'kufr of harry potter books', can make some uncomfortable too and few others might use it drive home a negative image.

Precious Star

I am amazed that this is even a thread.

Fiction is a form of creativity, an art form, which in itself is a gift from Allah. It encourages children and adults to engage their minds and imagination. As adults, these children will need imagination to problem solve in the real world. they will need imagination and creativity to tackle work issues and to help keep their own hopes and dreams alive.

Didn't anyone read Cinderella? I read it a hundred times but never once thought a prince would come and scoop me away from my parents. I loved a story called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, about a flying car....but I never dreamed that I would ever own such a thing. Oh! I remember when I was really sick one summer and in bed, and my dad bought me a book called English Fairy Tales, which I loved and which I still have to this day.

My love of reading lead to me completing my BA in English Literature.

And according to some of you, my entire life has been one long stream of haram, including the 4 years I spent on my BA which was basically studying and appreciating different works of fiction.

I think if your kids take Hary Potter seriously and they delve into magic rather than reality, then YOU have failed as a parent.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Wasalaam,

Everyone needs to sit down and rest a minute before speaking. People are judging "Cookie Monster" quite harshly when all she is, is concerned for the Muslim youth. :)

I think thats very noble. And she has a point about many evangelical Christians saying Harry Potter is a positive representation of magic when it goes against God in every Abrahamic religion.

BUT...I grew up on fairytales and tales of magic. My parents were very stern in 1) not letting me read it too early so that I understood that magic is NOT real. 2) making sure i didnt have any friends who thought magic was real.

In the end, Harry Potter and fantasy books or movies will not corrupt young Muslims. But their parents not taking the time to explain reality and a fake fantasy world will.

I will update when I have time to watch all of those videos.
But I do need to run and do some grocery shopping for my mother.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We all know Harry Potter sucks. My sons read the first book and said boring. End of subject. I told them the English are boring. Besides, the movie ads were a little on the homosexual side for my tastes.

Some fiction is good; most sucks. The publishing industry is a joke. But, it never hurts to read. Until I had children I read a book a day. I just got dizzy from all my readings.

Dante, Tolstoy, Dickens, Zola, Fitzgerald, Mann, Hesse, etc. etc. are great reads. Solzhenitsyn is excellent. All say the same thing: To thine God be True.
I believe all read the Quran.

Status
Not open for further replies.