The legal ruling on reciting Al-Fatihah for the dead

LoveIslam

ALLAH FORGIVE US
:salam2:
From the Fatwas Delivered by His Eminence Shaikh 'Abdul-'Aziz bin 'Abdullah bin Baz, former General Mufti of Saudi Arabia

Fatwa Subject : The legal ruling on reciting Al-Fatihah for the dead

Fatwa Number : 20

Publishing Date : Sunday 4 Muharram 1426 AH, corresponding 13 February 2005 AD.

Fatwas Source : From the Fatwas Delivered by His Eminence Shaikh 'Abdul-'Aziz bin 'Abdullah bin Baz, former General Mufti of Saudi Arabia

Fatwa Reference : [Islamic Research Magazine - Volume 28 - Page 108

Question:
What is the legal ruling on reciting Al-Fatihah and slaughtering cattle for the dead and giving out money to his people?
Answer : Paying homage to the dead by slaughtering cattle, giving out money and making vows and other acts of worship such as seeking cure from them and calling for their help are all grand polytheism. It is not permissible for any Muslim to do any of these acts, because polytheism is one of the gravest sins and most detestable crimes as Allah said: Verily! Allâh forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners in worship with Him, but He forgives whom he pleases sins other than that (4:48) He also said: Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allâh, then Allâh has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode (5:72) In a third ayah, He said: But if they had joined in worship others with Allâh, all that they used to do would have been of no benefit to them (6:88) There are many ayahs in this regard.

It is obligatory on every Muslim to stick to sincerity of worshipping Allah Alone, whether such acts of worship are slaughtering cattle, making vows, supplication, prayer, fasting, or any other forms of worship. Acts of worship also include paying homage to the dead by making vows and offering food according to the previous ayahs. Besides, Allah also said: Say (O Muhammad :saw: )"Verily, my Salât (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allâh, the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists). "He has no partner. And of this I have been commanded, and I am the first of the Muslims." (6:162-163)

As for reciting Al-Fatihah or other surahs of the Holy Qur'an and dedicating them to the dead, there is no proof that supports such act. It must be abandoned, because it has been recorded that neither the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) nor his Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) did it.

It is permissible to supplicate for the dead Muslims and give out charity on behalf of them by giving out money to the poor and the needy. On doing so, the Muslim seeks to be near to his Lord and asks Him to make the reward for such acts to his father or mother, be they alive or dead. In this context, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: When the son of Adam dies, his deeds come to an end except with three exceptions: a recurrent charity, knowledge from which continues to be reaped and the prayers of a good son for him. Reported by Imam Muslim in the chapter on Wills (1631)

It has been recorded that: A man said to the Prophet (peace be upon him): O Messenger of Allah, my mother has died without leaving a will, and I think that if she talked, she would give out charity. Would she have reward if I gave out charity on behalf of her? The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: Yes. Reported by Al-Bukhari in the chapter on Funerals (1388) and by Imam Muslim in the chapter on Wills (1004)
The same thing applies to Hajj and 'Umrah and paying debts on behalf of the dead. All these acts are a source of benefit as reported in the legal resources.

If the person who directed the questions refers to giving out charity, money and slaughtering animals and offering them to the family of the dead, this is a permissible act if they are poor. It is rather better if the neighbours and the relatives of the dead make food in their houses and gift it to the family of the dead. It has been reported that when the Prophet (peace be upon him) was informed of the death of his cousin Ja'far bin Abi Talib in the Conquest of Mu'tah, he ordered his wives to prepare food for the family of Ja'far and he said: They have been preoccupied (by his death). Reported by Abu Dawud in the chapter on Funerals (3132), At-Tirmidhi (988) and Ibn Majah (1610).

If the family of the dead made food and offered it to people on behalf of the dead, this is a prohibited act. It is the act of the people of the pre-Islamic period. This rule applies whether they performed such act on the day of his death, the fourth or tenth days of his death, or on the anniversary. All such acts are prohibited. It has been reported that Jarir bin 'Abdullah Al-Bujali - one of the Prophet's Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) said: We used to consider sitting with the family of the dead and making (and offering) food after he has been buried as an act of wailing. Reported by Imam Ahmed (2/204) and Ibn Majah in the chapter on Funerals (1612).

If some guests visited the family of the dead during the consolation period, it is permissible for them to make and offer food as a sort of entertaining such guests. It is also permissible for the family of the dead to invite their neighbours or their relatives to have food gifted to them. May Allah grant us prosperity.

http://www.qurancomplex.com/qfatwa/display.asp? f=20&l=eng&ps=source
rember ummah in your :tti_sister:

ctfatimah

alhamdulillah4 d info

bismillahirrahmanirrahim

:salam2:

Islam is a wonderful religion, hardly burden the ummah, only the adat and customs of certain societies make things complex and difficult. :astag:

again tq 4 d info

wassalam

sisaishah