The matter of forgiving others for what they have done....

Aleksandra

Welcome all visitors of this website,
hope none of my posts will be misunderstood, cause I realise I may be annoying someone, than please don't hesitate to express it and plesae forgive..... I have a close friend, who wasn't born in an islamic country, though his father is a born muslim, but just his father, he ( my friend ) didn't take that faith and is someone like me - hanging between that what was given to us during birth - the surrounding of christian religion and in search for the Truth...He told me that he appreciates many things in Islam, but there is one thing he cannot understand - he told me that musilms do not forgive...I didn't ask him what did he mean, but I think he didn't mean daily things....Is there any truth in that? Have you anything like that stated to act this way...?I think he is wronging in thinking that way about forgiving, but than maybe it is the case of his father....
I personally can't forgive some things, at least cannot forget, so maybe it is just a matter of human nature.
I hope not to have assulted anybody, I just want to find the right answer.
I will be thankful for some explanation, if there is any :)

All the best,
Alexandra

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
:bismillah:
"Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" is at the end of many Ayat (Verses) of the Qur'an. Allah forgives, and so we forgive. Your friend is wrong in stating that; Muslims always forgive someone. Even their enemy. Allah says in the Qur'an to "continue attacking the enemy, but if he surrenders forgive him and treat him kindly. For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" (or somethign along those lines, lol).

Muslims always forgive, even the Apostates we forgive. What you saw recently in Afghanistan (with AbdulRahman on trial for converted from Islam) wasn't Islam, that was the Afghan government's version of "Islam".
:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
hope none of my posts will be misunderstood, cause I realise I may be annoying someone

aww... don't worry about this part, we are all asking questions, that's the only way to get answers!

Your friend has been misinformed and as soon as I can, I will show you... God Willing.

Unless my brothers and sisters beat me first! ;) lol.

Until then... good bye.

Akilah

Assalam Alaikum,

As Muslims, (we should all be of the understanding) are taught that if Allah can forgive our sins even if they are sooooooo much and there is a hadith that says:

"Whoever says, 'Subhan Allah wa bihamdihi,' one hundred times a day, will be forgiven all his sins even if they were as much as the foam of the sea," Volume 8, Book 75, Number 414, Narrated Abu Huraira,

so how then can any Muslim say that they have the right not to forgive anyone when Allah is willing to forgive so much? While we cannot come even close to God's mercy, we need to try to be good Muslims as if this is a quality of Allah then surely it is one that Allah/ would like to see in us. As Muslims, we are going to make mistakes, just becuase we have a perfect religion doesn't mean that all Muslims will be perfect, and so for some people it is hard to as is often said "forgive and forget", but Allah knows that for us to forgive others is the best thing, and we are often taught in the Quran and Sunnah that we should have patience (sabr), and forgive others and indure difficulties.

Inshallah, here are some material that will help you in understanding true Islamic principles of forgiveness:

this is a good summary article:
http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/tafakkur/forgive_hate.html

and please also read these items below:

Better and more rewarding is God's reward to those who believe and put their trust in Him: who avoid gross sins and indecencies and, when angered, are willing to forgive... Let evil be rewarded by like evil, but he who forgives and seeks reconciliation shall be rewarded by God. He does not love the wrongdoers.... True constancy lies in forgiveness and patient forbearance.
Qur'an 42.36-43

'Abdullah b. Umar said that Rasulullah saw said : "The muslim is he from whose tongue and hand a Muslim is safe, and the muhajir he who gives up what Allah has prohibited for him ". ( Bukhari, Muslim )

Jabir b. Abdullah said that Rasulullah saw said : "Allah is not merciful to whim who is not merciful to people ". ( Bukhari, Muslim )

Abdullah b. Umar said that Rasulullah saw said :"The Merciful One shows mercy to those who are themselves merciful (to others). So show mercy to whatever is on earth, then He who is in heaven will show mercy to you " ( Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi )

From Abu Hurairah : Rasulullah saw said : "He who does not thank people, does not thank Allah". ( Ahmad, Tirmidhi

From Anas : Rasulullah saw said : "By Him in whose hand is my soul, a servant (of Allah) does not believe (truly) until he likes for his brother what he likes for himself ". ( Bukhari, Muslim )

From Abu Ayyub al-Anshari : Rasulullah saw said : " It is not right for a man to abandon his brother for more than three days". ( Bukhari, Muslim )

Jabir said that Rasulullah saw said : " If one makes excuses to his brother, but he does not excuse him, or accept his apology, he is as sinful as one who takes an unjust tax " ( Baihaqi )

From Abu Hurairah : Rasulullah saw said : " The strong man is not the one who is strong in wrestling, but the one who controls himself in anger " ( Bukhari, Muslim )

From Ibn Umar ra : Rasulullah saw said : "The muslim who meets with people and endures any harm they may do is better than he who does not mix with them and does not endure any harm they may do". ( Tirmidhi )

Ibn Umar ra narrated Rasulullah saw said : "O you who declare Islam with your tongues but whose hearts have not been reached by faith, do not annoy the Muslims nor seek out their faults, for he who seeks out the faults of his brother Muslim will have his faults sought out by Allah, and when Allah seeks out someone's faults, He exposes them, eventhough he should be in the interior of his house." ( Bukhari, Muslim )

Abu Dharr ra said that Rasulullah s.a.w said to him : "Fear God wherever you are; let an evil deed (be) followed by a good deed so that you blot it out; and be well-behaved towards people". ( Ahmad, Tirmidhi )

Abu Hurairah ra said that Rasulullah s.a.w said : "He who truly believes in Allah and the last Day, should speak good or keep silent". ( Bukhari, Muslim )

Al-Nour (The Light)

24:22 Hence, [even if they have been wronged by slander,] let not those of you who have been graced with God’s favour and ease of life ever become remiss in helping [25] [the erring ones among] their near of kin, and the needy, and those who have forsaken the domain of evil for the sake of God, [26] but let them pardon and forbear. [For,] do you not desire that God should forgive you your sins, seeing that God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace? [27]

I posted more hadith than Quran, because to really look at forgiveness in the Quran, I would have to post the whole thing! Islam strongly emphasizes this, so remember always, that Islam is a complete and full religion that has been perfected and from which nothing is lacking. Alhumdulillah!

samiha

---------
Staff member
I’m sorry, I’ve been really meaning to reply to this, but haven’t gotten a chance to do so. :(

But here is the article I wanted to bring into light… I am going to post it on the website as well… it’s short and sweet.

The Muslim is Tolerant and Forgiving
Dr. Muhammad Ali Al-Hashimi

The Ideal Muslim
© 1999 IIPH

If he becomes angry with his brother, the true Muslim restrains his anger and is quick to forgive him, and does not see any shame in doing so. Rather, he sees it as a good deed which will bring him closer to Allah and earn him His love which He bestows only on those who do good:

"…[those] who restrain anger and pardon [all] men – for Allah loves those who do good." (Qur’an, 3:134)

A man may be able to restrain his anger, but resentment may be smoldering in his heart, and may turn into deep-rooted hatred. Open anger and rage are healthier than hidden resentment and malice.

The true Muslim whose soul has been saturated with this religion does not harbor grudges; if he restrains his anger, he then follows that with forgiveness, and thus he will be among those who do good.

Anger is very difficult to restrain, for it is a heavy burden on the heart. But when a person forgives another, this heavy burden is lifted, freeing him, soothing him and bringing peace of mind. These are the feelings of ihsaan (goodness) which the Muslim feels when he forgives his brother.

The true Muslim is forgiving towards his brother, purely for the sake of Allah. He hopes thereby to earn the honor which the Prophet, sallallahu` alayhi wa sallam referred to in the hadith:

"Allah will not increase His servant except in honor. No one humbles himself for the sake of Allah, but Allah will raise his status." (Muslim)

It is a great honor from Allah, which combines with the good characteristics of the tolerant, forgiving Muslim, so that he becomes one of those who do good whom Allah loves, and one of those honored ones whom people love.
Resentment has no place in the heart of the sensitive Muslim who truly understands his religion. He realizes the value of forgiveness and purity of heart, and their importance if he seeks Allah’s forgiveness, as the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, explained:

"There are three sins, whoever dies free of these sins will be forgiven for anything else if Allah wills: associating anything with Allah; practicing magic or witchcraft; and bearing resentment towards his brother." (Reported by al-Bukhari in Adab al-Mufrad)

So clearly the person you have been talking to has been misinformed.

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
salam respected sister in islam

Islam is religion of forgiveness.I admit it is human nature which is some time force us not to this beautiful practice.

If u study the life of Holy Prophet Peace be Upon Him ...His life is full of forgivness.

There is video though it is not directly related but i like the best sentense in it which is ..

''If you are good to those who are good to you then it is no good enought''

[vg]-963537856896103512[/vg]

I would like to post this video by a islamic scholor though it address different topic.

may Allah give all of us passion of forgivness.

Ameen Ameen

Kayote

:salam2:

Masha'Allah wonderful replies.

I cannot add anything on my part but show appreciation for contribution.

:wasalam:

Aleksandra

Hello :)

Thank you all that have given me their answers yet, cause it helped me to "clear" my doubts, I think maybe than my friend's father is not a "good" Muslim in some way, because from what some of you have quoted and written than it is highly important to find this power in onelsef to forgive....
I think my friend due to his father's misconception has some doubts and maybe that is why I think he didn't take Islam, that is not good than ,cause only those things restrain him probably from it and he is living in this unawareness....

Alexandra

Aleksandra

The true Muslim is forgiving towards his brother, purely for the sake of Allah.
So clearly the person you have been talking to has been misinformed.

:) Yes, I think he must have been misinformed, but how did it happen that the one who misinformed him ( probably with the way he acts and behaves ) was his father, who is , as I said born muslim....:)

Thank you for your explanations....