The Naked Champion

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Dhiraar bin Al Azwar: The Naked Champion

It was during the Battle of Ajnadein, that took place North of the Dead Sea, between the Muslims and the Romans. Khalid bin Al Waleed was appointed commander of the Muslim army. The Roman army was under the command of a man named Wardan. Although the strength of the Muslim army, of about 32,000 men, was the largest Muslim force yet assembled for battle, the Roman army was almost three times its size..

The battle began with the action of the Roman archers and slingers. The Roman archers, with their better bows, outranged the Muslim bows and to the slingers the Muslims had no effective counter. The battle began with the Muslims at a disadvantage and several Muslims were killed while many were wounded. This suited the Romans very well; and for some time missiles continued to fly from their bows and slings. The Muslims, unable to do anything to offset this Roman advantage, became impatient to attack with sword and lance, but still Khalid restrained them. Finally the impetuous Dhiraar came to Khalid and said, "Why are we waiting when Allah, the Most High, is on our side? By Allah, our enemies will think that we are afraid of them. Order the attack, and we shall attack with you." Khalid decided to let individual champions go into combat against Roman champions. In this duelling the Muslims would have the advantage, and it would be useful to eliminate as many of the Roman officers as possible, as this would in turn reduce the effectiveness of the Roman army. "You may attack, Dhiraar", he said. And the delighted Dhiraar urged his horse forward. Because of the Roman archers, Dhiraar kept on his coat of mail and helmet, and in his hand carried a shield made of elephant hide, which had once belonged to a Roman. Having gone halfway to the Roman line, he stopped and raising his head, gave his personal battle cry: I am the death of the Pale Ones;
I am the killer of the Romans;
I am a scourge sent upon you;
I am Dhiraar bin Al Azwar! As a few of the Roman champions advanced to answer his challenge, Dhiraar quickly dis-robed; and the Romans knew him at once as the Naked Champion. In the next few minutes, Dhiraar killed several Romans, including two generals, one of whom was the governor of Amman and the other the governor of Tiberius. Then a group of 10 officers emerged from the Roman army and moved towards Dhiraar. At this move, Khalid picked 10 of his stalwarts, and riding up, intercepted and killed the Romans. Now more champions came forward from both sides, some individually, others in groups. Gradually, the duelling increased in extent and intensity, and continued for about two hours, during which the Roman archers and slingers remained inactive. This phase more than restored the balance in favor of the Muslims, for most of the Roman champions were killed in combat. Source: Taken from "The Sword of Allah: Khalid bin Al-Waleed: His Life and Campaigns." by Lieutenant-General A.I. Akram, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. The complete online book can be found at www.swordofallah.com

palestine

Servant of Allah
one question: was dhiraar naked as in naked, or is this a figure of speech? lol. sorry. but the story was very touching. jazakallahu khayran. asalamu alaykum.

Living Soul

Assalamo Alaikum
Masha Allah a very gud example of courage and confidence displayed by Dhiraar in the Battle:SMILY288:. We need such examples in the present day as well.

David Gould

"In the late 3rd century AD, Diocletian established the practice of dividing authority between two emperors, one in the western part of the empire and one in the east, in order to better administer the vast territory. For the next century this practice continued, with occasional periods in which one emperor assumed complete control. However, after the death of Theodosius I in 395, the two halves were permanently divided.[7] The Western Roman Empire collapsed in the late fifth century as its territory was seized by Germanic tribes.[8] The East Roman or Byzantine Empire endured until 1453 with the capture of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks.[9] Therefore, it is difficult to give an exact date when the Roman Empire ceased to exist, but this article will focus on the empire from 27 BC to the permanent division in 395 AD."

I only quote all this as I was brought to believe that the Roman Empire ended in 395 AD and hence has a slight difficulty with a battle between Muslims and a Roman Army. But there i looked it up a Lo there it was the eastern Empire continued as late as 1453 with the capture of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks. living as i do a few miles from the wall in the UK built by Hadrian I was aware that the Roman Legions in Britain were removed in 420 AD and that most 'Romano British' villas were abandomed by 480 when the Viking raids began.

So there I have learn an interesting bit of history from your story of the naked fighter...the Scots were reputed to wear nothing under their Kilts as it made them better fighters. Same principle really. Protecting one's manhood is a serious buisness.

Storm

SiStEr
one question: was dhiraar naked as in naked, or is this a figure of speech? lol. sorry. but the story was very touching. jazakallahu khayran. asalamu alaykum.

Dhiraar was known as the naked companion because he used to fight without his shirt. He felt he could fight better without it.

And as for the story, I love it. I read about it in the biography of Hazrat Khalid. Amazing :D