The National Anthem The Islaamic Ruling in Regards to Standing for it

ibnAbdullah87

The Islaamic Ruling in Regards to Standing for the National Anthem
By the Standing Committee for Academic Research and Religious Verdicts
Translated by Maaz Qureshi [1]

[Q]: Is it permissible to stand up out of respect for any national anthem, or any national flag?

[A]: It is not permissible for the Muslim to stand up for any national anthem, nor any national flag out of respect. Rather, this is from the evil innovations which did not exist at the time of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam), nor at the time of the Rightly Guided Caliphs (radiyallaahu ’anhum). And this action negates the obligation of the completeness of Tawheed, and the purity of respect for Allaah alone, and it invites towards Shirk. And in this action is resemblance of the disbelievers, and blind following of them in their despicable customs, and deviating along with them in their extreme attitude towards their leaders and their ceremonies. Indeed the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) prohibited resembling them and emulating them. And the success is with Allaah. And may the Prayers and Peace be upon Muhammad and his Family and his Companions.

THE STANDING COMMITTEE FOR ACADEMIC RESEARCH AND RELIGIOUS VERDICTS:

President: ’Abdul-’Azeez Ibn ’Abdullaah Ibn Baaz

Vice President: ’Adur-Razzaaq ’Afeefee

Member: ’Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan

Member: ’Abdullaah Ibn Qu’ood

Footnotes:

[1] Fataawal-Lajnatud-Daa‘imah (1/2123)

Karima

Asalamuaikum,

You know, in a way, I have always thought this was really against God, to salute the flag. God is not a flag.....no matter which country...

When I would be in the church and a flag was brought in, I felt creepy inside, knowing that the people were about to sing about the flag or salute to it. This was not right......especially in a church.

I know it might sound awkward, but no matter which religion one is, it is not right to pay allegance to any flag.....God needs all the credit for our nations.....not a flag....or song about a country....

Out of respect, I would stand when 'saluting' the flag, with arms down, and not across my heart.....there needs to be respect of all the work the country has had.....for it to be a nation...but not to salute it...in my opinion.