The Quran copied from The Bible accusation

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
I saw this video when I was exploring Islam. It was very good for someone like me who didn't know much about the deen except what christians told me. I am very glad that there are Muslims who can argue these points.
But I wouldn't want the job!

Najmoen

Who says the Qur'an is copied from the Bible????

:salam2:

Now in response to the Christian claim that the Qur'an is copied from the Bible.:astag:

Firstly, The Qur'an is divine revelation, attested to by more than ONE BiILLION Muslims today, originally delivered to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) as an oral recitation in Arabic, then transmitted to his Sagabah (deciples), before converting it to a written document in the language of Arabic during his era. Subsequently it has been handed down from generation to generation as a two fold combination, an oral Qur'an and a written Qur'an.

According to archaelogical discoveries an original Arabic version of the Bible was discovered dated back to the year 1000, meaning that if the Qur'an was copied, it would be identical to the Arabic bible or at least have some similarities, but they are totally different. If the implication is that the content has been copied, I would say both documents may cover common material. Both the Qur'an and the Bibles have the stories of Jonah and the Whale in common, as well as the Exodus of Moses and the story of Joseph as covered in the Old Testament and the Miracle birth of Jesus and that of John the Baptist in the New Testament. However this does not imply copying, but rather information originating from a common source. Because there are remnants of God's revelation still evident in the modern Bibles, as Muslims we acknowledge the common thread, however, and this I must stress, if Qur'an was copied from the Bible as they claim, then the foundation of Christian belief should be easily visible in Qur'an - such as the 'Crucifiction", the "Resurrection", the existence of a "Trinitarian godhead", the "Original sin", and that "Jesus died for the sins of the world" etc... But non of this is in the Qur'an, the most important parts of Christian belief is abscent from Qur'an, the very foundations on which Christianity stands in not in the Qur'an yet Christians claim the Qur'an is copied from the Bible. I don't think so. :SMILY286:

Now let me explain what the Qur'an is! It is an untranslatable document, it may be available in French, Spanish, Portuegese, German, Swahilli etc... non of which is the Qur'an but rather an authors choice of word within his limited understanding of the Arabic original. The Arabic Qur'an is composed of prose, of poetry in the first person (God's Almighty's speech), it is verbal art, with aesthetic evocative qualities and cadences that make grown men cry when heard. It is rythimic with incantatory qualities and totally euphonic and possess vowel harmony. This beauty only exists in the Arabic Quran and when translated into any other language its effect is lost... completely. So.., does that imply when the Qur'an was copied from the Bible (which are second and third persons accounts of events) which have non of these aforementioned qualities, translated into a Qur'an speaking in the first person, containing all these aforementioned qualities, I don't think so.:SMILY286: Besides, because of these said qualities, Qur'an it easy to remember, hence Millions of Muslims have committed some portion of Qur'an to memory with hundreds of thousands of Gufaaz (scholars) situated all over the world, all having committed the whole of the Qur'an to memory. Todate, I have not come across any person that committed the entire Bible to memory besides the fact that the Bible is a work in progress and changes every so often. The Bible has gone through a metamorphasis since its inception and has yet to arrive in its final state.

So my question now is, how it it possible to copy the Qur'an from the Biible and build into this copy the potential to easily commit it to memory when the host does not possess that quality. Because of these amaizing qualities, a chalange has been set by this very Arabic Qur'an daring any human being to produce just one chapter like it, portraying such qualities. Todate, nobody has and in fact never will. When the poetry of the the "world's greatest poets" like Homer, Dante and Shakespear was compared to verses of Qur'an, one sees how insipid and inferior their poems are, and how ridiculously inadequate English is.

Arabic has a very very vast vocabulary and as such has contributed words to numerous other languages. One of the Miracles of the Qur'an is that it is a book of guidance for life of man, an epic of the prophets of old, a historical document of the unseen, a scientific document of nature, an account of creation, a directory for the afterlife, a book of morals, a light beacon to those lost, an incantation for prayer, a hotline to the Creator, a basis for unity and so much more, written in a mere 2000 unique words. Miracle? I would say so! :SMILY288:

F

fabs

That doesn't prove anything. Nobody claims that Mohammed literally copied the Christian Bible but it evidently heavily influenced his teachings. The idea of Jesus being a prophet or at least an important figure comes from the Christians, the importance of Moses from the Jews.
I would suppose that the story of Abraham was widely spoken about all over the Middle-East back then.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Salaam Allaikum

Brother Fabs

Thats What you think , but there are Non Muslims Who Accuse Our Beloved Prophet Muhammed (P.B.U.H). for many things. and this is only one of that thing.

Salaam Allaikum

uzeshan

S.O.A

You Should Know This Man

Encyclopedia Britannica confirms:

"...a mass of detail in the early sources shows that he was an honest and upright man who had gained the respect and loyalty of others who were likewise honest and upright men." (Vol. 12)

George Bernard Shaw said about him:

"He must be called the Savior of Humanity. I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it much needed peace and happiness." (The Genuine Islam, Singapore, Vol. 1, No. 8, 1936)

He was by far the most remarkable man that ever set foot on this earth. He preached a religion, founded a state, built a nation, laid down a moral code, initiated numerous social and political reforms, established a powerful and dynamic society to practice and represent his teachings and completely revolutionized the worlds of human thought and behavior for all times to come

Mahatma Gandhi, speaking on the character of Muhammad (pbuh) says in 'YOUNG INDIA':

"I wanted to know the best of one who holds today undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind... I became more than convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet, the scrupulous regard for his pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the 2nd volume (of the Prophet's biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of the great life."

Thomas Calyle in his 'Heroes and Heroworship', was simply amazed as to "how one man single handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades."

Diwan Chand Sharma wrote,

"Muhammad was the soul of kindness, and his influence was felt and never forgotten by those around him" (D.C. Sharma, The Prophets of the East, Calcutta, 1935, pp. 12)

Edward Gibbon and Simon Ockley, on the profession of ISLAM, write:

"I BELIEVE IN ONE GOD, AND MAHOMET, AN APOSTLE OF GOD' is the simple and invariable profession of Islam. The intellectual image of the Deity has never been degraded by any visible idol; the honor of the Prophet have never transgressed the measure of human virtues; and his living precepts have restrained the gratitude of his disciples within the bounds of reason and religion." (History of the Saracen Empires, London, 1870, p. 54)

Speaking on the aspect of equality before God in Islam, the famous poetess of India, Sarojini Naidu says:

"It was the first religion that preached and practiced democracy; for, in the mosque, when the call for prayer is sounded and worshippers are gathered together, the democracy of Islam is embodied five times a day when the peasant and king kneel side by side and proclaim: 'God Alone is Great'... I have been struck over and over again by this indivisible unity of Islam that makes man instinctively a brother." (S. Naidu, Ideals of Islam, vide Speeches & Writings, Madras, 1918, p. 169)

In the words of Professor Hurgronje:

"the league of nations founded by the prophet of Islam put the principle of international unity and human brotherhood on such universal foundations as to show candle to other nations." He continues, "the fact is that no nation of the world can show a parallel to what Islam has done towards the realization of the idea of the League of Nations."

The world has not hesitated to raise to divinity individuals whose lives and missions have been lost in legend. Historically speaking, none of these legends achieved even a fraction of what Muhammad (pbuh) accomplished. And all his striving was for the sole purpose of uniting mankind for the worship of One God on the codes of moral excellence. Muhammad (pbuh) or his followers never at any time claimed that he was a son of God or the God-incarnate or a man with divinity – but he always was and is even today considered as only a Messenger chosen by God.

Michael H. Hart, in his recently published book on ratings of men who contributed towards the benefit and upliftment of mankind writes:

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular levels." (M.H. Hart, "The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History", New York, 1978, p. 33)

K.S. Ramakrishna Rao, an Indian professor of Philosophy, in his booklet "Muhammad the Prophet of Islam" calls him the "perfect model for human life." Professor Ramakrishna Rao explains his point by saying,

"The personality of Muhammad, it is most difficult to get into the whole truth of it. Only a glimpse of it I can catch. What a dramatic succession of picturesque scenes. There is Muhammad the Prophet. There is Muhammad the Warrior; Muhammad the Businessman; Muhammad the Statesman; Muhammad the Orator; Muhammad the

Reformer; Muhammad the Refuge of Orphans; Muhammad the Protector of Slaves; Muhammad the Emancipator of Women; Muhammad the Judge; Muhammad the Saint. All in all these magnificent roles, in all these departments of human activities, he is alike a hero."

F

fabs

Salaam Allaikum

Brother Fabs

Thats What you think , but there are Non Muslims Who Accuse Our Beloved Prophet Muhammed (P.B.U.H). for many things. and this is only one of that thing.

Salaam Allaikum

I'm not a Muslim.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
I'm not a Muslim.

as a muslim we believe that cristians and jews and alll our brother in humanity to us.. because we believe that all the Humans were from Adam (AS) and i know you are not muslim.

sorry if you are offended if i say brother.

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
That doesn't prove anything. Nobody claims that Mohammed literally copied the Christian Bible but it evidently heavily influenced his teachings. The idea of Jesus being a prophet or at least an important figure comes from the Christians, the importance of Moses from the Jews.
I would suppose that the story of Abraham was widely spoken about all over the Middle-East back then.

Fabs,

The Torah, the New Testament and the Qur'an all contain the word and command of the same God, albeit delivered through different messengers (Moses, Jesus and Muhammad - PBUT - respectively being the key prophets of these religions concerned). So OF COURSE Muhammad (PBUH) was 'influenced' by the Bible, because The Bible is ALSO the word of God, and God transmitted his OWN message to Muhammad!

It is so funny when people try to accuse Muhammad (PBUH) of 'plagarism', because Muhammad (PBUH) simply delivered a message to his people from the one and only God, hence he copied NOBODY. God is criticised for re-using his own message?!?

The meaning of being a Muslim is to have submitted to the final word and law as related by God via Muhammad (PBUH), which is hence recorded in the Qur'an.

If the Jews had correctly followed God's full wishes in the first place, Christianity wouldn't exist, as God would not have needed to deliver his message twice. If Christians had correctly followed God's full wishes in the first place (and the Bible - God's word - had not been tampered with and in parts falsified), Islam would not exist, as God would not needed have to deliver his message three times.

Therefore, to be a Muslim is to 'surrender' to the will of Allah, as Allah intended us (humans in general) to do so many moons ago! And this surrender is to the literal law and word (see the Qur'an) of God, the Qur'an being kept in its original form, and its believers being obedient and unquestioning of the word of God himself, unlike the bible(s) and its adherants to its content.

Therefore, Aldhamduillilah (all praises due to God) for the fact that Islam does exist, for it is proof of God's grace and kindness in allowing us a third chance to finally heed his word and wishes. It is not about "what we are", these are petty squabbles, nor is it about 'who came first' or 'who copied who', because we are discussing GOD'S word here, and the thankful, the enlightened, the knowledgeable and the grateful have accepted - and continue to accept - God's FINAL word in the form of AL-ISLAM, which literally means 'the surrender'.

--

I would like to add that every human being on this planet, regardless of religion, has my respect. However, I just wish that more (ideally all) would come to the realisation about what the right path to submission to God is (i.e. Islam).

Bismillahirahmanirahim,
La ilaha illa-llahu, Muhammad a-rasulullah

Globalpeace

Banned
Qur'an Copy! Hmm...A better one maybe?

Fabs,

But you must give credit to Muhammad (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) though...I mean supposedly he borrowed from the bible heavily but left out all the juicy bits like Incest & stuff!

He also left controversies & stupid scientific facts like using blood as a disinfectant behind!

I mean HOW clever is that for a man who didn't know how to read or write...

I am actually gald that bible wasn't copied completly otherwise I would have had problems reading things like the following to my kids,

GEN 39:12 She caught him by his cloak and said, "Come to bed with me!" But
he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house.

F

fabs

Fabs,

But you must give credit to Muhammad (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) though...I mean supposedly he borrowed from the bible heavily but left out all the juicy bits like Incest & stuff!

He also left controversies & stupid scientific facts like using blood as a disinfectant behind!

I mean HOW clever is that for a man who didn't know how to read or write...

I am actually gald that bible wasn't copied completly otherwise I would have had problems reading things like the following to my kids,

GEN 39:12 She caught him by his cloak and said, "Come to bed with me!" But
he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house.

That's a citation from the story of Joseph if I'm not mistaken.

To me when I read the Koran(I didn't read all of it I'll admit), it seemed similar to a direct dialogue or rather a message supposedly from God sent to Humanity, not a long chronicle such as the Torah and Gospel. So no, it's obvious that Mohammed didn't copy the Bible because the form is completely different.
Are you sure Mohammed didn't know how to read and right? That's the first time I've heard that.
Either way the Koran to my mind is a completely separate work from the Christian Bible.
I have heard this and can suppose that the book in its original language sounds much different than my translation. Here's a question: Does it rhyme?

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure Mohammed didn't know how to read and right? That's the first time I've heard that.

I have heard this and can suppose that the book in its original language sounds much different than my translation. Here's a question: Does it rhyme?

No Fabs, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) didn't know how to read nor write, this is well known!

And yes, it does rhyme!

Listen to one Surah if you want:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3713

Doris

Bismilah,

All the books given to the noble Prophets the likes of Ibrahim-Abraham, Musa-Moses, Isa-Jesus and Muhammad Alayhemu salatu ua salam( Blessings be upon all of them) came from the Creator of the Worlds. Similar stories from the lives of different Prophets are mentioned in both books( Bible, Qur'an) because it is the same revelation, meaning all Prophets called the nations to Tawheed ( God being the only One to be worshiped, without any sons or doughters) and if these stories are said again in the qur'an this means that are true stories said again and again to us to become teachings of life. Secondly, many of these stories in the Bible, were changed and made ugly from the hands of the Priests and Popes to justify thier actions and creeds. and last and not least the persons who have doubts in the Qur'an being made by The Messenger named Muhammad salallahu alayhee ua salam should know that anything made by men can be played around and changed according to any type of desire, byt this is not the case with the Qur'an. This book challenges the mankind with different questions, and attitudes. And yes, when you read the Qur'an it is a complete and serious dialogue between us and Allaah-God.

For further details open books written by muslim scholars and not agnostic professors for religous studies.

Doris-Greece

F

fabs

Bismilah,

All the books given to the noble Prophets the likes of Ibrahim-Abraham, Musa-Moses, Isa-Jesus and Muhammad Alayhemu salatu ua salam( Blessings be upon all of them) came from the Creator of the Worlds. Similar stories from the lives of different Prophets are mentioned in both books( Bible, Qur'an) because it is the same revelation, meaning all Prophets called the nations to Tawheed ( God being the only One to be worshiped, without any sons or doughters) and if these stories are said again in the qur'an this means that are true stories said again and again to us to become teachings of life. Secondly, many of these stories in the Bible, were changed and made ugly from the hands of the Priests and Popes to justify thier actions and creeds. and last and not least the persons who have doubts in the Qur'an being made by The Messenger named Muhammad salallahu alayhee ua salam should know that anything made by men can be played around and changed according to any type of desire, byt this is not the case with the Qur'an. This book challenges the mankind with different questions, and attitudes. And yes, when you read the Qur'an it is a complete and serious dialogue between us and Allaah-God.

For further details open books written by muslim scholars and not agnostic professors for religous studies.

Doris-Greece

I can't disagree with what you've said about the priests and Popes.

Izzu

sister doris, :salam2: i am sure fabs is learning by keeping the discussion alive in different threads on this forum. i just hope and wish that he is really doing this with an open heart.
friend fabs we are not here to force you or anyone about anything. we just want people like you and others to appreciate the truth and beauty of Islam. if Islam is something that anyone wants in his life, the guidance and mercy will have to come from Allah.
There is no compulsion is religion.
Thanks for different questions fabs. It is helping us as well since we come to knw how non-muslims perceive Islam. Respect others so that you will be respected.
:wasalam: