The religion is advice

abumah

:wasalam:
:bismillah:
I find that people who have been muslims since birth (im not talking about our fitra) have little or no understanding of why they are tested. A vast majority of them don't make all five prayers, they may even have had girlfriends or boyfriends, listening to music. The women don't observe hijab according to the shari'a and when I try to advise them they say I have been muslim all my life and I can't judge them only Allah can judge them. When has advice ever been judgement? I'll say, maybe if you leave off acts of disobedience then maybe Allah will rectify your condition. I don't see this as being harsh if it is the truth. I am being too difficult on them? I know the difference between right and wrong. And I try to refer my affairs back to Book and the Sunnah.

Submitter

:salam2:

Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree with your generalisation brother, but maybe this is your experience where you live. I do agree though that very often a revert to Islam will become more religiously committed than someone who was raised as a Muslim, but again, I can't generalise and speak for everyone, this is just what I have seen and experienced myself.

But yes, maybe reverts are more religious because they feel like they have been completely reborn? It's like finding a new hobby where you dump your old one for the new one and spend all your time doing the new one. But this could be applied to someone who was raised as a Muslim too; they may well have not been very religious for the first 20 years of their life then suddenly, they begin to become more religiously committed and for them, it would also feel like being reborn, just like a new start.

I take your point. You say people who were raised as Muslims don't know why they are tested... maybe this is because they have had time to forget the fundamentals of Islam if they grew up not practicing? Whereas a revert will have the fundamentals firmly and freshly planted into their minds resulting in a Muslim that comes across as more devoted?

But anyway, true - only Allah can judge them and know truely what is in their heart, but if you are advising them and trying to help them then there is nothing wrong with that. And in fact, it is your duty. Are you a revert yourself brother? Maybe they find it embarressing that they are being taught Islam by a new Muslim when they have been Muslim their whole lives :biggrin:

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

Very true about the generalisation. I see many reverted Muslims, who, after taking the Shahadah, get into a religious frenzy then over time slack off, and lose their Muslim identity entirely.

As always, there's a good and a bad in everything. Some Muslims who were born feel that they know enough about their religion, that they are doing what they feel is right. They think that if Allah had wanted them to be a good Muslim, He would have made them born in a more Muslim family or in order to read the Quran, born in Saudi. Astagfirullah. That is how some, not most, believe. The one I know HATEs being told by someone younger, or more practicing, or more knowledgable what is right. (I'm not the only one) She feels that she is doing what she does, and that she will argue with God, (Astagfirullah) while going to Hell. These kinds of people are soo difficult to deal with, they refuse the truth, beleive they know all, and they test their Lord. Some have their hearts closed. Allah knows best what is trully in their hearts and may He guide them to the Truth.

I don't know what to tell you, but I would encourage you to keep trying unless it affects your worship and your deen, then you should perhaps back off. May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Wassalam.