The rights of the father in divorce

MubarekMuslimah

Assalaamu alaikum

Please can someone tell me what are the rights of the father towards access to seeing his child, when a couple divorce?

Say divorce has taken place and the child ( who is still very young, toddler) is living with the mother - what rights does the father have to see the child? is there a minimuim amount of time the mother must allow? or is it just up to the discretion of the couple? and what if the mother does not allow the father to see the child or does not co-operate in that respect? In what circumstances would it be acceptable for her to refuse him to see the child? can she do that at all ever? How should the parents relationship be for the sake of their child? they must be speaking insha'allah right - Islamically, for the sake of the child right? What is appropriate considering they are no linger mahrem to one another?

Any ideas insha'allah? Im doing some searching on this but so far not much luck.

Jazak'allah khairun

Wasalaams

Almeftah

well.. from what i have experienced, and also read in books regarding divorce.

1. no woman can stop a father from seeing his child anytime he wants, anywhere he wants, even if he was Kafir. except, when knowing that the father has a bad influence on the child in any way, or that he's abusive, or if the timing is not suitable for her, like in the middle of the night or the very early morning when they are all asleep..etc.

2. a father can not take his child away from his mother untill he/she reaches puberty.
Note: It is best for boys to live with thier fathers after reaching the age of puberty, and for girls to stay with thier mothers untill they get married.

3. men must help by pay an amount of money for mothers who are nurturing their children.
Note: For a boy, A father must pay for his sons expenses, untill his son gets a job and be able to cover his own expenses. As for a girl, A father must pay for his daughters expenses, untill she gets married, even if she does have a job, unless she tells her father that she doesnt need his money.

thats all i can remember right now.. good luck.

try this:
http://muslim-canada.org/divorce.pdf

hope it answers all ur questions.. :)