The Salam Deficiency.

abu_tamim

Narrated `Abdullah bin `Amr (RA): A man asked the Prophet (SAW), “Whose Islam is good, or what sort of deeds of Islam are good?” The Prophet (SAW) replied, “To feed others and to greet those who you know and those who you do not know.”
(Bukhari, Book of Beliefs)

On that account, why is it that whenever we go anywhere, we only greet the people we know, without saying a thing to the other Muslims that walk by us? Or if you're in a masjid and people are ‘salaming’ each other, they only go to the people they know, and even if you pass on the salams to them with a ‘how are you?’, they give you an odd look, ignore you and walk away, or say 'are you talking to me?'

“Yes, I’m saying Assalamu alaikum. How are you?” They look at me like they don’t understand Arabic or like they don’t know how to say ‘salam’ or ‘how are you?’ Then they just give me this really odd look and walk away.

I think to myself, “why bother? I did my part.” Then I wonder, “was it my clothes? Were they wrinkly? Did they have a good scent or a bad scent? Was my hair showing or not showing for her not to respond? Perhaps she doesn’t like speaking to people that wear hijabs, or maybe it was because of my Bell’s Palsy. Perhaps she didn't know about my situation or maybe she didn't want ..............

Aroosak

:wasalam:

I guess is not just me then.... I also felt self conscious plenty of times when my salams were not returned or when I received glares instead of smiles. I remember going to the mirror and making sure I looked "islamic" enough to be returned the salaams lol. I also hear this from sisters who do not cover how they feel that covered sisters don't return their salams because they do not wear hijab. I think over the years I've learned to deal with it and just know that by me saying salams I am fulfilling my obligations and I pray Allah the softener of hearts helps us all act kindly with each other especially towards new muslims who have such high expectations of other muslims and sometimes they become disillusioned by the reality.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

Thank you dear brother and may Allah reward you for sharing with us this good remainder and beautiful hadeeth about calling " Saalam" to others Muslims.

Mashallah dear brother, your posts are very informative and Islamic. May Allah reward you for your efforts.

I aslo feel uncomfortable sometimes with calling " Saalam" to others Muslims. It happend many times when I go in masjid and call " Saalam" to other sisters, that they do not respond anything, or even some of them would bow down a head to not call " saalam" or respond it Astagfirullah.

I aslo feel uncomfortable with callling " saalam" to Muslims who are not practising islam so much, because I feel afraid that they will not respond me.And if I call them " saalam" I usually say it quietly.:shymuslima1: because I feel afraid that they may not like answering on islamic greeting as they do not practise Islaam.

But Alhamdukillah I understood that it is obligation for me as Muslimah to call " saalam" to all Muslims does not metter are they going to respond me although I still try to understand it.

May Allah guide us all to the right path and make our hearts soft toward our Muslims brothers and sisters. Ameen ya Rabby

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I have to remember the proper greetings sometimes when greeting brothers at masjid. I'm used to my Western greeting of "Hey how's it going?" instead of "Salaam alakum" or "Walaykum salaam".

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Salam alikom,

Generally when you walk into the masjid (the house of Allah), it is recommended that you say 'salam alikom' to to Allah, the angels and the people in there, so when you go in and just say it aloud, you do get a few replies from the brothers.

If you really want to stop someone in the street and say salam alikom, then start a conversation. So if your living in the west, you can pretend that you're surprised to see a Muslim around or ask where the masjid is etc. Usually if I have time, and I happen to hear some brothers speaking Arabic, I say salam alikom and tell them where I'm from and that I understand what they're saying etc. You can use other skills that you posses to you advantage... I've made so many new Muslims friends this way.

It is good that you're attempting anyway, think of it this way, when you say salam alikom you're getting 10x good deeds, whether someone replies or not, you still get you're good deeds in the scale. So don't be self-conscious about it.

wa salam alikom.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
When you say salam alikom wa rahmatulah, you get 20x good deeds
when you say salam alikom wa rahmatulah wa barakatuh you get 30 good eeds

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
When you say salam alikom wa rahmatulah, you get 20x good deeds
when you say salam alikom wa rahmatulah wa barakatuh you get 30 good eeds

Then multiply with number of salaams you give in a normal day, and multiply that with 30 days, then 12 months, then average number of years a person lives..

for example, you just say assalaamu alaykkum about 10 times a day,

10 deeds * 10 times a day* 30 days * 12 months * may be 60 years = ( need my CalC!!) 2.16 Million deeds.

we should not be little any good deeds, how ever simple it may be.

wassalaamu 'alaykkum wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh everyone,

oh well, the truth about most Muslims today!!! I try really hard to say my salaams to everyone and I actually see it as blessing to see another Muslim! but there are days in which I am disappointed by the glares and the un-returned salaams=( but I always give them the benefit of daubt....you know maybe they didnt hear me, maybe I said so softly, they didnt understand what I said...or maybe they were just upsent minded at the moment. I work at the mall and part of saying "hello or salaam" to others is considered great customer service. Most of the Muslims do say the salaam back alhamdulillaah and they come search for me when they need help=) but some ...well lets just say they are another story!

One thing to remember though is to always give the salaam no matter what happens. I ones read that angels return your salaams if the person does not. I actually picture JEBRIL returning my salaam when someone does not and I get this one BIG smile on my face just thinking about that :shymuslima1: I know its kinda silly, but atleast it will make you and I feel better.

abu_tamim

Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh everyone,

oh well, the truth about most Muslims today!!! I try really hard to say my salaams to everyone and I actually see it as blessing to see another Muslim! but there are days in which I am disappointed by the glares and the un-returned salaams=( but I always give them the benefit of daubt....you know maybe they didnt hear me, maybe I said so softly, they didnt understand what I said...or maybe they were just upsent minded at the moment. I work at the mall and part of saying "hello or salaam" to others is considered great customer service. Most of the Muslims do say the salaam back alhamdulillaah and they come search for me when they need help=) but some ...well lets just say they are another story!

One thing to remember though is to always give the salaam no matter what happens. I ones read that angels return your salaams if the person does not. I actually picture JEBRIL returning my salaam when someone does not and I get this one BIG smile on my face just thinking about that :shymuslima1: I know its kinda silly, but atleast it will make you and I feel better.

:ma: May Allah bless you for your istiqamah.

abu_tamim

:salam2:

Imaam Bukhari in his Al-Adabul-Mufrad narrates from Hazrat Anas that the Holy Prophet(saws) said, "As-salaam is indeed a name from the names of Allah, which Allah has placed upon the Earth, therefore spread salaam amongst yourselves in abundance."

ahmedkaram

Whenever i would be heading somewhere alone by foot i tend to notice everybody on my way more thus i make sure to say :salam2: to the fellow strangers on the street, and honestly i always get the :salam2: back with a smile too. I Did not know some muslims would not give the salam back but over here i can assure you all that whenever i greet a stranger they do greet me back :)

abu_tamim

Whenever i would be heading somewhere alone by foot i tend to notice everybody on my way more thus i make sure to say :salam2: to the fellow strangers on the street, and honestly i always get the :salam2: back with a smile too. I Did not know some muslims would not give the salam back but over here i can assure you all that whenever i greet a stranger they do greet me back :)

May Allah bless them and you.:ma:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

say alhamdulillaah, because it sure is a blessing to have that! may Allaah bless all of you for keeping up with the sunnah of our beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).