MaShaAllah! The Story Behind Hotel 'Uthman ibn 'Affan'(RA)

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
The Story Behind Hotel 'Uthman ibn 'Affan'(RA)- A New Hotel being Built in Medina Al Munuwwarah.

When the early Muslims migrated to Madinah with the Prophet sallallaahu alayhi wasallam, they found the water there difficult to drink as they were accustomed to drinking the relatively sweeter Zamzam water in Makkah (Northerners, think of London water!). So they went to the Prophet sallallaahu alayhi wasallam & told him about their difficulty, They also informed him of a well in the city by the name of Rumah whose water tasted a lot like Zamzam.

The problem however, was that the owner of the well was a Jew & he insisted on charging, even for a handful of water. The Prophet sallallaahu alayhi wasallam had sent an offer for the well, a garden in Paradise in exchange. However, the Jew refused & said he would only accept money.

When ‘Uthman ibn ‘Affan came to learn of the incident, of the Prophet sallallaahu alayhi wasallam's declaration of something better than the well in Paradise for whoever can secure it for the community, he went to the owner & placed an offer to buy the well. But the owner declined, at which point ‘Uthman asked him to either sell him half of it or allow him to rent it : a day for the Muslims & a day for him to sell to whoever he wishes. He agreed.

Subsequently, this resulted in everyone going to drink from the well on ‘Uthman’s day, leaving the owner with no customers! The owner felt the loss & quickly rushed to ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه ) “Ʊ have spoilt my well, now buy it off from me”. ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه )agreed & it was sold for 20 thousand dirhams, which he then assigned as endowment in Allαh Subhana Ta'ala's name (waqf lillah) for all Muslims to drink from.

Later on, one of the Companions came to ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه) offered to buy the well for double its price. ‘Uthman ()رضي الله عنه asked him to raise his offer. P2
He proposed triple the price. ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه ) again, asked him to raise the price until the buyer agreed to pay nine times the original price. With ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه )still not consenting, the Companion, bemused, asked him, “who will offer Ʊ more than me?”. ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه )responded, “Allah. He gave me ten times the one good deed.”

After ‘Uthman (رضي الله عنه )had left the well behind for Muslims as an endowment, date-palms started to grow around it. More recently, the Ottoman Empire attended to those palms & looked after them. When Madinah came into the hands of the Saudi government, it further attended to the date-palms & cultivated more of them until they reached around 1550 in number.

The Government, through the Ministry of Agriculture, would sell the dates in markets & divide the proceeds into two: one half was distributed amongst orphans & the poor, the other half went in a special bank account in ‘Uthman ibn ‘Affan’s (رضي الله عنه. ) name with the Ministry of Endowments oversees.

This carried on until the account had accumulated enough money to buy land in the central area next to the Prophet sallallaahu alyhi wasallam's musjid &, through the bank account, construction of a grand hotel has began!

The building is in its final stages and is to be leased out to one of the major 5 star hotel companies. It is speculated to generate revenue in the region of 50 million riyals per annum, half of which will be distributed to orphans & the poor & the other half will be gathered in the bank account under ‘Uthman ibn ‘Affan (رضي الله عنه )'s name. The land is also officially registered in the local municipality under the name of ‘Uthman ibn ‘Affan.

As they say, business with Allαh Subhana Ta'ala is always profitable.

Time to invest in the aakirah!

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Thank you for sharing this amazing story. I wish I could have lived at this time to know these amazing people.

If any one of you wish you can sponsor a well to provide clean drinking water to Muslims.

I know all the brothers that work at this company, they are the best no profit I know of, they have such a project:
http://www.hidaya.org/environment/clean-drinking-water/