The story of Ibraheem (peace be upon him) with his father

englishelm11

He used to preach to his father much and forbid him from practicing polytheism, using soft, kind and logical speech: {42. When he said to his father: “O my father! Why do you worship that which hears not, sees not and cannot avail you in anything?”43. “O my father! Verily! There has come to me of knowledge that which came not unto you. So follow me. I will guide you to a Straight Path.”44. “O my father! Worship not Shaitân (Satan). Verily! Shaitân (Satan) has been a rebel against the Most Beneficent (Allâh).”45. “O my father! Verily! I fear lest a torment from the Most Beneficent (Allâh) overtake you.”}[Tafsir Al-Qurtubî] (Maryam:42-45)
Unfortunately, his father’s response was harsh: {He (the father) said: “Do you reject my gods, O Ibrâhim (Abraham)? If you stop not (this), I will indeed stone you. So get away from me safely before I punish you.”{ (Maryam:46)
Abraham’s reply was very polite, compassionate and kind: {47. Ibrâhim (Abraham) said: “Peace be on you! I will ask Forgiveness of my Lord for you. Verily! He is unto me, Ever Most Gracious.” 48. “And I shall turn away from you and from those whom you invoke besides Allâh. And I shall call on my Lord; and I hope that I shall not be unblest in my invocation to my Lord.”}(Maryam:47-48)
Prophet Abraham (pbuh) continued to call his father and his people to Allah and monotheism, and to reject polytheism. His people, however, did not respond to Abraham and his call, and insisted on polytheism. {80. His people disputed with him. He said: “Do you dispute with me concerning Allâh while He has guided me, and I fear not those whom you associate with Allâh in worship. (Nothing can happen to me) except when my Lord (Allâh) wills something. My Lord comprehends in His Knowledge all things. Will you not then remember? 81. And how should I fear those whom you associate in worship with Allâh (though they can neither benefit nor harm)”}(Al-An’âm:80-81)
Again he said to them: {When he said to his father and his people: “What do you worship?”}(Ash-Shu’arâ’:70)
They replied: {71. They said: “We worship idols, and to them we are ever devoted.”}(Ash-Shu’arâ’:70)72
. He said: {“Do they hear you, when you call (on them)?” 73. “Or do they benefit you or do they harm (you)?”}(Ash-Shu’arâ’:72-73)
The response was a stupid one which was not based on any reason or logic, just on pure tradition. They said: {“Nay, but we found our fathers doing so.”}(Ash-Shu’arâ’:74)
He answered them with pure monotheism. using convincing arguments, reason and insight: {75. He said: “Do you observe that which you have been worshipping,76. You and your ancient fathers?77. Verily! They are enemies to me, save the Lord of the ‘Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists);78. Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me;79. And it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink.80. And when I am ill, it is He who cures me; 81. And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life (again); 82. And Who, I hope will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense, (the Day of Resurrection),” 83. “My Lord! Bestow Hukman (religious knowledge, right judgement of the affairs and Prophethood) on me, and join me with the righteous; 84. And grant me an honourable mention in later generations; 85. And make me one of the inheritors of the Paradise of Delight; 86. And forgive my father, verily he is of the erring;”}(Ash-Shu’arâ’:75-86)
Source:ISLAMKINGDOM