Thinking of taking the shahada, but I have 2 questions

Asalam Alaikum! I am an American girl who would like to take the shahada, but I have two problems holding me back. I would appreciate any guidance from the Muslims here and citations of verses from the Quran or any relevant Tafsir or Fatwas.

My first question is about having a dog in the house. I have a dog for medical purposes, and he must be in my house in order to serve his purpose. Is this permissible? Would I be able to make my prayers at home?

My second question is more serious, and I hope not to upset anyone by it. Unfortunately, my mother is abusive, and in the last year I had to break contact with her in order to protect my self. I have read what the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said about jinnah being at the feet of mothers, and how important pleasing my mother is, but how can I do this? I am happy to make dua for her and in sha allah things will change and it will be safe for me to have contact with her again, but until that time what should I do?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

1. If keeping the dog is a necessity due to your health issues, then Muslims scholars have stated that it is allowed.
Can blind and disabled people keep a dog that is trained to help them?

2. You mentioned your mother is abusive and you have to protect yourself, so do what you can until you feel it is safe for you to do more. I do not know your situation, contact can be initiated and maintained without physically meeting her, i.e. over the phone and you can build up from that in sha Allah.

You are welcome and we are happy to help you here, and in sha Allah you will make Shahada and become our sister in Islam!

assalamu alaykum

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Welcome to the site, and I hope you can become our sister in Islam soon.

Brother Mabsoot answered your questions already, but I just wanted to add that maybe it would be a good idea to have a tiny space in your house where the dog doesn't go, and you can pray in that area. Of course, this only applies if you can leave off not having the dog nearby. If you need him for some purpose, then I'm sure Islam is permissable enough to people's needs.

AbuKhalid

These 2 issues should not hold you back. In terms of priority, #1 is belief

Then, you will find the answer for your problems inshaAllah through seeking Islamic knowledge ... little by little.

Dont let uneducated muslims convince you that you have to meet your mother or you have to get rid of the dog etc ...

a_stranger

You are most welcome dear , Islam was revealed to save humans from any harm now and then ...........the first step in Islam is to have faith in our creator Allah most glorified , pray to him ...thank him and worship him .Things will be more clear step by step.

Alhamdulilah! Thank you all so much for your responses. I was so nervous and I am so relieved by such kind, thoughtful responses. I have another question, do I need to say the shahada with an imam or can I just say it by my self?

Abdul-Halim265

Salam alaykum! I'm a soon-to-be Muslim myself, and I have much learning to do. If your dog is necessary (e.g. if you need it for a job or a living) then it's permissible. There are also ways of keeping in contact with your mother (even if you don't see her in person). All the best! :)

Last edited:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Worshipping Allah alone, believing in the message of Islam and accepting the Prophet Muhammad :saw: as the final messenger, are the most important thing. This is what makes a person Muslim. - In the case of the original poster, she is allowed to keep her dog because of her situation. So it is no problem at all.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum SISTER!!!

Oh mashallah wa alhamdulillah I'm soooo happy!!! Allahu Akbar! May Allah always keep you on the straight path and may the tawheed be always in your heart!

Jazakillahu khayran and a biiiig hug!

Ummah123

Walaykum Assalam,

You already got the answer to your questions, but i just want to say one thing. Please don't let such minor issues stop you from converting to Islam. #1 belief is the most important thing. Pleasing your mother, or having a dog in your house, what does that have to do with your belief? these are only actions and even if you commit sins, at least when you become a muslim your minor sins are forgiven and you can repent. You don't have to be perfect when you become a muslim, even born-muslims need to constantly improve themselves.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Allahu Akbar (Allah is the Greatest)!

Welcome BACK to the Religion Brother Abdul-Halim and Sister Hardshipandease.

May Allah SWT always increase you in Iman and make you the best Muslims and best Mumeens.

It is such great blessing from Allah SWT to be guided to Islam the way you to have found it. You guys are so lucky and blessed, mashallah (Allah wished it). I am so happy for you two, please feel free to ask us any questions or let me know if I can help you out at all with anything.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
wa alaikomassalam warahmatollah
Allaho Akbar!
May Allah make it easy for you and keep you and us all steadfast on this path.Ameen

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Mashallah wa alhamdulillah very happy to hear about brother Abdul-Halim! May the shahada stick to your heart and be in your intentions, words and actions!

Jazakhum Allahu khayran!