This Is Embarrassing But...

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2: brothers and sisters..

there's (yet another) something i need help with..

i plan on attending the Juma'a prayers in congergation in our local masjid..starting this upcoming friday..

i looked up the address..i drove there..i know exactly where it's at location wise and everything..

BUT...

i'm feeling extremely nervous and worried...and that's for the following reasons..

1. i have never been there...ever..since i got to the city i live in almost 9 years ago.

2. i have not been to a mosque since i was 5 or 6 years old.

3. i have never prayed in congregation (it's horrible i know..but it wasn't *my* choice).

so i basically don't know anything about the etiquette of prayer in congregation...especially that of the Juma'a prayer...i've never been taught or told about any of it..

and i need major help with that..i tried to look into it myself..but i keep getting the basics of the daily salat..like all the steps and what to say and all that..and these are things i already know..

but congregation prayer..and juma'a prayers..and even being in a mosque..has its etiquette so i need to know before i show up over there and make myself look.....well..............like an idiot..pretty much!

and i'm like so embarrassed by it..that i didn't even have the courage to go ask one of the brothers or sisters in our MSA who pray Juma'a and go to the masjid often..

so i just thought...this is what TTI is for...i gotta make a thread and get my help there...hehe

jazakom allah khair in advance! :hijabi:

:wasalam:

Steve940

Jumu'ah prayer is similar to Fajr prayer. Even though it's during the daytime, the imam reads aloud. It's a 2 rakat prayer like Fajr, with not much difference, but don't forget intention for Jumu'ah prayer.

Before the prayer theres the khutbah or speech, which at the masjid I go to starts at 1:30 PM, but it's good to get there earlier so as it's not crowded.

Jumu'ah prayer takes the place of Dhuhr prayer, so if you pray Jumu'ah, you don' t perform Dhuhr.

I hope this helps, I'm sure that others will post more beneficial information soon Insha'Allah.

:salam2:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Jumu'ah prayer is similar to Fajr prayer. Even though it's during the daytime, the imam reads aloud. It's a 2 rakat prayer like Fajr, with not much difference, but don't forget intention for Jumu'ah prayer.

Before the prayer theres the khutbah or speech, which at the masjid I go to starts at 1:30 PM, but it's good to get there earlier so as it's not crowded.

Jumu'ah prayer takes the place of Dhuhr prayer, so if you pray Jumu'ah, you don' t perform Dhuhr.

I hope this helps, I'm sure that others will post more beneficial information soon Insha'Allah.

:salam2:

that helped a lot brother...baraka allaho feek

being the ignorant that i am..i would've probably prayed juma'a and then went home and prayed dhuhur too :S..thinking that these are two different things

and i didn't know that it's similar to the fajr prayer..i thought it was long...like taraweeh (don't ask why..it was just that way in my head)

wow...i really need help!...hehe

but every little bit of info counts and certainly helps...so again...thank you..and jazaka allah kol khair :hijabi:

wa alaikum assalam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Its very easy
yes as brother already explained to u
Its only 2 rakas prayer and thats it .....

waaleikum salam

MTYKK

Banned
First of all you should be PROUD instead of embarrased.
Your heart is pulling you to Juma, not many things better than that.

Go early, watch people.
Generally most will pray 4 rakat of sunna individually after the Adhan.
(I've seen some Masjid allowing time for sunna right after the Khutba too)
Then sit and wait for the Khutba.
Listen to Khutba attentively in quititude as its a major part of the Juma
Then Follow the congregation (Imam reciting out loud) in the 2 rakat Fard.
Then 4 rakat final sunna individually.
Dua, Dhikr, take it all in :) It's juma.

arabiantxn

The kathib is the person who conducts khutbah and usually this is how he will do it he will choose a topic which has some thing to do with current affairs or some other reverent and discuses the topic islamically in the 1st half of the khutbah and in the 2nd half apply our daily life or talk about how the society is missing it.
Just to give you some other things to keep in mind i
- be aware their will be traffic and parking would not be easy plan your trip accordingly.
- Its considered dis respectful to talk while kuthba is going on
- You might want to save your optional sunnah prayers for after prayers
- The kathib usually is different every Friday this is done to keep things interesting.
- You will enjoy yourself don’t worry
- Possible issues for this Friday – the Palestinian peace summit going on/hajj /us dollar crisis.
-
- Check the time for Friday prayers by calling the masjid or by going to their website its going to be in-between 1.30pm-2.15pm as a norm
-

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
First of all you should be PROUD instead of embarrased.
Your heart is pulling you to Juma, not many things better than that.

Go early, watch people.
Generally most will pray 4 rakat of sunna individually after the Adhan.
(I've seen some Masjid allowing time for sunna right after the Khutba too)
Then sit and wait for the Khutba.
Listen to Khutba attentively in quititude as its a major part of the Juma
Then Follow the congregation (Imam reciting out loud) in the 2 rakat Fard.
Then 4 rakat final sunna individually.
Dua, Dhikr, take it all in :) It's juma.

i think it's a good idea to go a bit early and sit there and watch..
is there 8 total sunna rakat's then?..4 before the 2 fardh..and 4 after it?..or did i misunderstand you?

The kathib is the person who conducts khutbah and usually this is how he will do it he will choose a topic which has some thing to do with current affairs or some other reverent and discuses the topic islamically in the 1st half of the khutbah and in the 2nd half apply our daily life or talk about how the society is missing it.
Just to give you some other things to keep in mind i
- be aware their will be traffic and parking would not be easy plan your trip accordingly.
- Its considered dis respectful to talk while kuthba is going on
- You might want to save your optional sunnah prayers for after prayers
- The kathib usually is different every Friday this is done to keep things interesting.
- You will enjoy yourself don’t worry
- Possible issues for this Friday – the Palestinian peace summit going on/hajj /us dollar crisis.
-
- Check the time for Friday prayers by calling the masjid or by going to their website its going to be in-between 1.30pm-2.15pm as a norm
-

i actually checked the website..our Juma'a is between 1:40-2:10..so it's good to know that they are following the norm..
so as far as i understood..there is a gap of time between the fardh rakat's and the khutbah so we can pray sunnah prayers?

someone told me that when i come into a mosque..the first thing i'm supposed to do is pray two rakat's...is that of the sunnah at all?..do any of you do it?

thank you so much for mentioning these details..many of them i have heard about a lot..but wasn't sure if they are correct or not..but now i know that they are part of the etiquette

jazakom allah khair!

tombstone

Jumah prayers

i think it's a good idea to go a bit early and sit there and watch..
is there 8 total sunna rakat's then?..4 before the 2 fardh..and 4 after it?..or did i misunderstand you?

i actually checked the website..our Juma'a is between 1:40-2:10..so it's good to know that they are following the norm..
so as far as i understood..there is a gap of time between the fardh rakat's and the khutbah so we can pray sunnah prayers?

someone told me that when i come into a mosque..the first thing i'm supposed to do is pray two rakat's...is that of the sunnah at all?..do any of you do it?

thank you so much for mentioning these details..many of them i have heard about a lot..but wasn't sure if they are correct or not..but now i know that they are part of the etiquette

jazakom allah khair!

Assalamu alaikum wrwb,

This is what we pray on friday .

And this is according to the Hanafi madhab.
i dont know how they do it in the other three madhaib( shafii, hanbali, maliki)

since zohar has 4 fardh on regular days. friday i.e., jumah contains the khutbah or friday sermon which is equal to 2 rakahs and the fardh salah has 2 rakahs. so 2+2 makes 4. i have read that missing the sermon is like missing the 2 rakahs and which makes the salaah incomplete and that is why scholars say missing the sermon is like missing the jumah, that is why one should try not to miss the khutbah.
And coming back to the sunnahs.

u have 4 rakahs sunnah b4 the khutbah. remember u shouldnt stand up to pray the sunnahs when the sermon/khutbah has already started. if the khutbah already started and u didnt pray the 4 rakahs wait and u can it pray at the end.
then u have 4 rakahs sunnah after the 2 fardh in congregation.
then u have 2 rakahs sunnah after the 4 sunnah.
then u have 2 nafl which is optional.

so this is the order : 4 sunnah, khutbah, 2 fardh ( in congregation behind imam) 4 sunnah, 2 sunnah, 2 nafl.

ANd u have heard it right we can pray 2 sunnahs when we enter the masjid. this is called tahyatul masjid. it shud be done as soon as u enter the masjid before sitting down.

the above was according to the hanafi madhab.

And as far as women are concerned its not compulsory for u to pray with congregation even the jumah which i hope u know.

Assalamu alaikum wrwb

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

You will notice that women prior to the congregational prayer will move after they perform the individual prayers. The salaam is said after the congregational prayer. You will pray in a different spot after that. And remember people are so immersed in prayer they will not notice you but be glad to see you.