this particular word

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
i wonder.

/wo/how it came into use as /wo/man?
and are there any other names if /wo/...is applied as above ?

and see Oman ...and if i write owman..in arabic similar عمان

strive-may-i

:salam2:
A very good question. That takes us to roots of english culture

Some debate that gender inequality was prevalent in Europe. Okay some still will point out, even to this day... There were funny restrictions on woman, in europe, in middle ages.

"Womyn" is one of a number of alternative spellings of the word "women" used by some feminist writers.[1] There are many alternative spellings, including "wimmin", "womban", "wom!n". Writers who use alternative spellings see them as an expression of female independence and a repudiation of traditions that define females by reference to a male norm.[2]
Background
In Old English sources, the word "man" was gender-neutral, with a meaning similar to the modern English usage of "one" as an indefinite pronoun. The words wer and wyf were used to specify a man or woman where necessary, respectively. Combining them into wer-man or wyf-man expressed the concept of "any man" or "any woman." Over time, in the context of a patriarchal social and legal system, wer-man was simplified to man while wyf-man developed into woman.[3][4] Feminists have suggested that the less prejudicial usage of the Old English sources reflects more egalitarian notions of gender at the time.[2]

Notes:
1 D. Hatton. "Womyn and the 'L': A Study of the Relationship between Communication Apprehension, Gender, and Bulletin Boards" (abstract), Education Resources Information Center, 1995.
2 a b Neeru Tandon (2008) Feminism: A Paradigm Shift
3 Spender, Dale. Man-Made Language.
4 Miller, Casey, and Kate Swift. The Handbook of Non-Sexist Language.

strive-may-i

Mother, Mama, Ummi, Amma, Maa...

And if incase you are wondering about how the word sounds similar... Yes its interesting indeed.... Woman / Oman :D

The word "Mother", has sounds similar in most languages( yes a bit of Etymology :) )
The most-common word found worldwide is related to word mother. Below is mother words in different languages
-- UMMI - أمي(arabic)
-- Ammi - (Urdu)
-- MAATHE, MAATRU, MAA (Sanskrit.)
-- MATER (Latin )
-- MUTTER, MAMA (German )
-- MAMINKA, MATKA, MAMKA (Slovak )
-- MADRE (Spanish)
-- ME, ME DE (Vietnamese)
-- MODOR (Old English )
-- MOM ( Modern English)
-- matʹ (Russian)
-- Mǔ (Chinese)
-- MAMMA (Swedish)
-- MA (Afrikaans)

Linguists say its derived from the sound a child makes while breast-feeding, or the first word usually child utter da, mm. It is also related to creation, some say.

The word mama, mamma, amma exists in these languages also:
Slovak, Russian, Lithuanian, Albanian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Swahili, Turkish, Hawaiian (also MAKUAHINE), Hopi (Arizona), Chickasaw (from English apparently)(originally Eastern, then Oklahoman), Chinook (Oregon), Creek (SE USA, Oklahoma), Koasati (Texas, Louisiana), Indian Languages - Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Hindi etc​

And wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_and_papa

strive-may-i

I dont know.. maybe its from womb-man lol

okay on a lighter note, that set my wondering now ....

So a barbaric English Male (the Vikings you know), goes on a hunting mission...
He spots another Male ------ "He Man!"
They greet each other ----- "Hey Man!"
They encounter a wild beast "Oh Man!"
And They spot a lady -- "Wow Man!!!"

:)
And then they created Son of God, Spiderman, He-man, Superman, X-Men .... And, it goes on!!!

They spared none :p

YMYuke

Really interesting to read thanks strive-may-i

And then they created Son of God, Spiderman, He-man, Superman, X-Men .... And, it goes on!!!

hahaha

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

And how boring would the world be without us. Adam, he longed for her. He had been given knowledge, he was given everything, but how he longed for her, out of his rib...

and how silly are we.. how intelligent we are...we can be infuriating..we just want to have fun..we laugh...we try not to be amused...we try cover our mouths...we turn away our faces...but we lighten the world..

when a married man leaves his home..you can tell a woman put him together to go out there and shine...

so this particular word is a synonym for sunshine

inquizator

HILARIOUS~!!!!!!!!!!
LOL............LITERALLY IN TEARS

YMYuke

Assalaam walaikum,

And how boring would the world be without us. Adam, he longed for her. He had been given knowledge, he was given everything, but how he longed for her, out of his rib...

and how silly are we.. how intelligent we are...we can be infuriating..we just want to have fun..we laugh...we try not to be amused...we try cover our mouths...we turn away our faces...but we lighten the world..

when a married man leaves his home..you can tell a woman put him together to go out there and shine...

True.. True.. Alhamdulilah

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
True.. True.. Alhamdulilah

Assalaam walaikum,

HILARIOUS~!!!!!!!!!!
LOL............LITERALLY IN TEARS

:
And They spot a lady -:- "Wow Man!!!"

:SMILY303: