Those who are satisfied with Qur’aan over Sunnah

Shishani

Staff member
The Misguidance of those who are satisfied with the Qur’aan over the Sunnah – Shaykh Al-Albaani

It is unfortunate that there can be found some contemporary tafseer writers and authors that have taken the view of making permissible what has been mentioned in the last two examples [1] , such as the permissibility of eating predatory animals and wearing gold and silk, relying upon the Qur’aan (as proof) only! In fact, there can be found in this present time a group that call themselves the Qur’aaniyoon, who interpret the Qur’aan according to their desires and intellects, without seeking assistance for that in the authentic Sunnah. Rather, the Sunnah, according to them, is subordinate to their desires. So whatever part of it conforms to their desires, they affirm it, and whatever doesn’t conform to their desires, they throw behind their backs (rejecting it).

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم indicated these individuals in an authentic hadeeth, when he said:

“Do not let any one of you sit reclining on his couch, then when something that I have commanded him to do comes to him, he says: ‘I don’t know! Whatever we find in the Book of Allaah, we will follow it.’”

[Reported by At-Tirmidhee]

And in another narration, he صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

“…’whatever we find in it that’s unlawful, we will declare unlawful.’ Indeed, I was sent with the Qur’aan and something equal to it along with it.”

In another report, he صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

“Indeed, whatever the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم forbade is the same as what Allaah forbade.”

Rather, what is unfortunate is that one dignified author wrote a book on the Legislation and Creed of Islaam. He stated in his introduction that he wrote the book but he had no references in it except for the Qur’aan! So this authentic hadeeth provides clear proof that the Islamic Legislation is not based on the Qur’aan only, but rather it is based on the Qur’aan and Sunnah. So whoever takes hold of one in the absence of the other, doesn’t actually take hold of any of them. This is because each one of them commands that the other one be adhered to. This is as Allaah says:

“Whoever obeys the Messenger, has indeed obeyed Allaah.”

[Surah An-Nisaa: 80]

And He says:

“But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.”

[Surah An-Nisaa: 65]

And He says:

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any choice in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, has indeed strayed in a plain error.”

[Surah Al-Ahzaab: 36]

And He says:

“And whatever the Messenger gives you then do it, and whatever he forbids you from, then abstain from it.” [Surah Al-Hashr: 7]

In connection with this ayah, I am amazed at what has been authentically reported from Ibn Mas’ood radhi Allaahu anhu, which is that a woman once came to him and said: “Are you the one who said: ‘May Allaah’s curse be on the woman that puck eyebrows and those who ask for their eyebrows to be plucked and those who tattoo…’ He said: ‘Yes.’ She said: ‘I read the Qur’aan from its front to its back and I did not find in it that which you say!’ He responded: ‘If you had (truly) read it, you would have found it. Did you not read: ‘And whatever the Messenger gives you then take it (i.e. do it), and whatever he forbids you from, then stay away from?’ She said: ‘Of course!’ He صلى الله عليه وسلم said: ‘Then I indeed heard The Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم say: ‘May Allaah’s curse be on the woman that pluck eyebrows and those who ask for their eyebrows to be plucked…’” [Reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

[1] Read The Need for the Sunnah in order to Understand the Qur’aan – Shaykh al Albaani

Posted by AbdurRahman.Org from al-ibaanah eBook: The Status of Sunnah in Islam – Shaik Nasiruddin Albanee