Thread for People Unsure if They Want to Revert

Hello. I've been interested in Islam for many months now. I was thinking it would be neat for all the people who are interested in Islam or unsure if they want to convert to share their stories, questions, uncertainties, etc.

First, about me. I've already posted here but I will give you the basic facts. I am an atheist that was raised in a non-practicing Christian household. I had never really been interested in Islam or known much about it. Many months ago my boyfriend of several years cheated on me and we ended up breaking up. Around that time two separate things happened. A lecturer came to the university campus I work at and gave a presentation on Islam. It was interesting but I don't think I left without an interest in being Muslim. However, shortly thereafter I saw a beautiful movie about a young girl in Britain who converts to Islam (I've included a link to the movie below). It really moved me.

Shortly afterwards I was walking through a part of the university campus I don't normally go through and I came across a table put up by the student Muslim association. They were giving out brochures on Islam and free Qurans. I took everything they offered. The Quran they gave out was in English only but I started reading it anyway and have been reading it for several months. Lately I've purchased a Quran with the Arabic script and I've started trying to learn Arabic.

Most recently I have looked up mosques in my area. There are two. One is Sunni and the other is Shia. I've gone once to each to see what they are like.

Anyway, that is my story so far. I am curious to hear from others who are interested in Islam. I am still learning myself, there is a lot to learn!

mikepan68

Sallams,
I converted to Islam many years ago. Try reading a good commentary on the Quran. I suggest "the Message of the Quran" by Muhammad Asad or "The Quran" by Yusuf Ali.
You said you went to a Sunni and Shia Mosque. I am a Sunni, but keep in mind there are moderate Sunnis and ultra-conservative Sunnis. I am a pretty average joe so I was attracted to moderate mainstream Islam. I don't know a lot about Shia Islam.
Do your research and decide for yourself. I have made a lot of bad choices in life, But converting to Islam was the best decision I ever made. Probably the only good decision I ever made. I believe in the God of Love.

Last edited:
Sallams,
I converted to Islam many years ago. Try reading a good commentary on the Quran. I suggest "the Message of the Quran" by Muhammad Asad or "The Quran" by Yusuf Ali.
You said you went to a Sunni and Shia Mosque. I am a Sunni, but keep in mind there are moderate Sunnis and ultra-conservative Sunnis. I am a pretty average joe so I was attracted to moderate mainstream Islam. I don't know a lot about Shia Islam.
Do your research and decide for yourself. I have made a lot of bad choices in life, But converting to Islam was the best decision I ever made. Probably the only good decision I ever made. I believe in the God of Love.

Thank you for you reply Mike! I am happy to hear that converting to Islam has worked out well for you! Yeah, I have to admit that I am interested in moderate Islam. I am not sure that I could do ultra-conservative. I am not sure whether I want to be a Sunni or Shia (I understand people have strong emotions about these things). I would like to think I could just be non-denominational but I'm not sure if that is possible.

May I ask how you came to be interested in Islam.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Hello, Your thread is a good initiative, I hope people will benefit and get their doubts clear Inshallah. I pray to Allah exalted to guide you to truth, to straight path, the path to everlasting success.

I am not sure that I could do ultra-conservative. I am not sure whether I want to be a Sunni or Shia (I understand people have strong emotions about these things). I would like to think I could just be non-denominational but I'm not sure if that is possible.

One thing I want to say is fundamentally speaking their is no Moderate and Ultraconservative Islam. As muslims our aim is to submit our will to Allah, we do what he told us to do and abstain from what he told us to abstain from. People usually use this term "moderate" in the connotation of following the part of islam they like or to follow sharia according to their logic and philosophy, this notion contradicts the very spirit of Islam which is 'to submit'. Allah exalted has sent us something free from doubt upon clear evidences. So if a person is sure of it being truth, it mandates for him/her that he/she should try to act upon it to best of his/her knowledge and capability and be patient with whatever befalls upon him due to it.

I can speak from even my own experience if you do that your heart will be filled with tranquility and life would become easy even if you were to walk upon thorns.

As for acts of some particular people going to extremes not accordance with sharia (due their ignorance, following desires, 'desi'(cultural mix) versions,etc...) then this something not deemed appropriate by sharia itself.

Basically what I mean is when we say moderate it should Sharia that should define moderation not person himself. He/she might find something a bit strange due to living in a different environment, however it all settles down with time.

I don't know how much you got that or if it sounds a bit strange (and ofc my english and communication skills aren't all that good), however just keep learning, you'll see. Best of Luck. :)

----
Edit: but yeah, one can go step by step to not overwhelm himself.

and as for Shia sunni thing, clarity over fundamentals and lil bit comparison should clarify that by Allah's guidance. Once you are ready to take shahada pls create a thread and discuss that.

Last edited:
Hello, Your thread is a good initiative, I hope people will benefit and get their doubts clear Inshallah. I pray to Allah exalted to truth, to straight path, the path to everlasting success.

One thing I want to say is fundamentally speaking their is no Moderate and Ultraconservative Islam. As muslim our aim is to submit our will to Allah, we do what he told us to do and abstain from what he told us to abstain from. People usually use this term moderate in the connotation of following the part of islam they like or to follow sharia according to their logics and philosophy, this notion contradicts the very spirit of Islam which is 'to submit'. Allah exalted has sent us something free from doubt upon clear evidences. So if a person is sure of it being truth, it mandates for him/her that he/she should try to act upon it to best of his/her knowledge and capability and be patient with whatever befalls upon him due to it.

I can speak from even my own experience if you do that your heart will be filled with tranquility and life would become easy even if you were to walk upon thorns.

As for acts of some particular people going to extremes not accordance with sharia (due their ignorance, following desires, 'desi'(cultural mix) versions,etc...) then this something not deemed appropriate by sharia itself.

Basically what I mean is when we say moderate it should Sharia that should define moderation not person himself. He/she might find something a bit strange due to living in a different environment, however it all settles down with time.

I don't know how much you got that or if it sounds a bit strange (and ofc my english and communication skills aren't all that good), however just keep learning, you'll see. Best of Luck. :)

----

and as for Shia sunni thing, clarity over fundamentals and lil bit comparison should clarify that by Allah's guidance. Once you are ready to take shahada pls create a thread and discuss that.

Thank you for the very interesting insight. :)

happilyeverhereafter

Not a perfect Muslim but a striving one! :)
Hi Emily! :) Thanks for sharing with us your journey of how you've become interested in Islam! That BBC clip looks rather interesting, I'll have to take a look at that. As for me, I guess I'm sort of a revert. I was born in a Muslim family but not a practicing one. So as I got older, I was kind of led away from Islam (I started questioning Islam with the very little knowledge I knew about it) and was in an atheist and then agnostic phase. Then everything flipped around and I started receiving a lot of karma (what goes around, comes around). Also, I started reflecting on myself and who I wanted to be. Then that's when I started looking into a few other religions via Youtube...just a little bit. I mostly went more in depth into Islam to learn more about it since I called myself "Muslim" (being that I'm from a Muslim family) and I also wanted to know the answers to a lot of questions I had before. So since then, I have been gaining Islamic knowledge and I love it. It's like I'm addicted to knowledge, haha! Best feeling ever! I think that's just one of the many things I love about Islam- it leaves you thirsty for more knowledge :) Seems like you're the same way.

As you seem interested in Islam, mind if I share some of my favorite Islamic speakers? You can just type these names into Youtube and you'll find some amazing lectures and clips to watch- Nouman Ali Khan, Abdul Nair Janga, Kamal el Mekki, Bilal Philips, Karim Abu Zaid, Abu Mussab Wajdi Akkari, Assim al-Hakeem, Mohammed Salah, OfficialDawahMan, theDeenShowTV, hudatv, QuranWeekly, theMercifulServant. The list can go on and on, haha, as they're all my favorite and I've enjoyed them on Youtube. Hope you will as well or perhaps you already know of these.

And as with what the brother above said, I must say I agree with a lot of it. Masha'Allah, everything said just right! The brother basically summed up everything I was going to say. Basically, we shouldn't really call ourselves 'such and such' Muslim. Islam really shouldn't have all these denominations to begin with. How it came about was really dealing with political issues and when the Shia/Shiite came in. Lots of history to learn behind that! But that's just how these denominations started and then people started referring to themselves as "Sunni" to differentiate from the Shia and so forth.

Just know that as Muslims we should ONLY follow the Quran & the Sunnah/aHadith and if we follow that, then alhamduiliah- we're Muslim. However, we should beware of 2 extremes- liberalism and extremism. These both go against the Quran and the Sunnah as liberalism is being more relaxed and cherry picking what you like in the religion while extremism is taking religion to a different level. But yeah , basically we're followers of the Quran and Sunnah and all we can do is follow it to the best of our ability, insha'Allah. Though I do sometimes say that I'm a conservative Muslim just to clarify and differentiate from those who are liberal or extreme.

Hello, Your thread is a good initiative, I hope people will benefit and get their doubts clear Inshallah. I pray to Allah exalted to truth, to straight path, the path to everlasting success.

One thing I want to say is fundamentally speaking their is no Moderate and Ultraconservative Islam. As muslim our aim is to submit our will to Allah, we do what he told us to do and abstain from what he told us to abstain from. People usually use this term moderate in the connotation of following the part of islam they like or to follow sharia according to their logics and philosophy, this notion contradicts the very spirit of Islam which is 'to submit'. Allah exalted has sent us something free from doubt upon clear evidences. So if a person is sure of it being truth, it mandates for him/her that he/she should try to act upon it to best of his/her knowledge and capability and be patient with whatever befalls upon him due to it.

----

I pray that Allah (awj) guides you on the path to success and pure happiness, sister Emily. Ameen!

mikepan68

Thank you for you reply Mike! I am happy to hear that converting to Islam has worked out well for you! Yeah, I have to admit that I am interested in moderate Islam. I am not sure that I could do ultra-conservative. I am not sure whether I want to be a Sunni or Shia (I understand people have strong emotions about these things). I would like to think I could just be non-denominational but I'm not sure if that is possible.

May I ask how you came to be interested in Islam.
Sallams, Emily,Oddly enough I got a book off a guy who's brother was a Muslim scholar. About the same time I made some friends who were Muslims. I eventually went to a Muslim Mosque and talked to an Imam. I wasn't sure about Sunni and Shia, he told me to do my research and decide for myself. Hamza Yusuf is my favorite scholar/orator.

Hello, Your thread is a good initiative, I hope people will benefit and get their doubts clear Inshallah. I pray to Allah exalted to guide you to truth, to straight path, the path to everlasting success.

One thing I want to say is fundamentally speaking their is no Moderate and Ultraconservative Islam. As muslims our aim is to submit our will to Allah, we do what he told us to do and abstain from what he told us to abstain from. People usually use this term "moderate" in the connotation of following the part of islam they like or to follow sharia according to their logic and philosophy, this notion contradicts the very spirit of Islam which is 'to submit'. Allah exalted has sent us something free from doubt upon clear evidences. So if a person is sure of it being truth, it mandates for him/her that he/she should try to act upon it to best of his/her knowledge and capability and be patient with whatever befalls upon him due to it.

----

Thank you again. I have to admit, as a Western I've always found the sunni/shia antagonism very perplexing! As an American I tend to prefer a non-denominational approach to things. I guess as I learn more I will understand the differences.

I understand what you have said about moderate and ultraconservative Islam. It makes sense, but isn't it also possible that some of it could be from different interpretations of the same thing?

Hi Emily! :) Thanks for sharing with us your journey of how you've become interested in Islam! That BBC clip looks rather interesting, I'll have to take a look at that. As for me, I guess I'm sort of a revert. I was born in a Muslim family but not a practicing one. So as I got older, I was kind of led away from Islam (I started questioning Islam with the very little knowledge I knew about it) and was in an atheist and then agnostic phase. Then everything flipped around and I started receiving a lot of karma (what goes around, comes around). Also, I started reflecting on myself and who I wanted to be. Then that's when I started looking into a few other religions via Youtube...just a little bit. I mostly went more in depth into Islam to learn more about it since I called myself "Muslim" (being that I'm from a Muslim family) and I also wanted to know the answers to a lot of questions I had before. So since then, I have been gaining Islamic knowledge and I love it. It's like I'm addicted to knowledge, haha! Best feeling ever! I think that's just one of the many things I love about Islam- it leaves you thirsty for more knowledge :) Seems like you're the same way.

As you seem interested in Islam, mind if I share some of my favorite Islamic speakers? You can just type these names into Youtube and you'll find some amazing lectures and clips to watch- Nouman Ali Khan, Abdul Nair Janga, Kamal el Mekki, Bilal Philips, Karim Abu Zaid, Abu Mussab Wajdi Akkari, Assim al-Hakeem, Mohammed Salah, OfficialDawahMan, theDeenShowTV, hudatv, QuranWeekly, theMercifulServant. The list can go on and on, haha, as they're all my favorite and I've enjoyed them on Youtube. Hope you will as well or perhaps you already know of these.

And as with what the brother above said, I must say I agree with a lot of it. Masha'Allah, everything said just right! The brother basically summed up everything I was going to say. Basically, we shouldn't really call ourselves 'such and such' Muslim. Islam really shouldn't have all these denominations to begin with. How it came about was really dealing with political issues and when the Shia/Shiite came in. Lots of history to learn behind that! But that's just how these denominations started and then people started referring to themselves as "Sunni" to differentiate from the Shia and so forth.

Just know that as Muslims we should ONLY follow the Quran & the Sunnah/aHadith and if we follow that, then alhamduiliah- we're Muslim. However, we should beware of 2 extremes- liberalism and extremism. These both go against the Quran and the Sunnah as liberalism is being more relaxed and cherry picking what you like in the religion while extremism is taking religion to a different level. But yeah , basically we're followers of the Quran and Sunnah and all we can do is follow it to the best of our ability, insha'Allah. Though I do sometimes say that I'm a conservative Muslim just to clarify and differentiate from those who are liberal or extreme.

I pray that Allah (awj) guides you on the path to success and pure happiness, sister Emily. Ameen!

Hello happilyeverhereafter! It is nice to meet you!

Thank you for sharing the list of scholars. I think I have seen some of those on youtube? It sounds like we have a similar background. Coming from similar backgrounds of no-practicing houses, Muslim in your case, Christian in mine.

Thank you for your perspective on Islam and liberalism and extremism. It was very interesting to read!

Sallams, Emily,Oddly enough I got a book off a guy who's brother was a Muslim scholar. About the same time I made some friends who were Muslims. I eventually went to a Muslim Mosque and talked to an Imam. I wasn't sure about Sunni and Shia, he told me to do my research and decide for myself. Hamza Yusuf is my favorite scholar/orator.

Thank you for your experiences mikepan68. It sounds very similar to mine.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Thank you again. I have to admit, as a Western I've always found the sunni/shia antagonism very perplexing! As an American I tend to prefer a non-denominational approach to things. I guess as I learn more I will understand the differences.

Thats understandable, had it been just a social or cultural difference or a matter where difference can be accepted as people's viewpoints, it would have been obligatory upon every Muslim to dissociate himself from those sects and groups, As Allah exalted says:

And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be guided. [Quran 3:103]

However, scope of this topic is far greater than that. You'll see Inshallah.

I understand what you have said about moderate and ultraconservative Islam. It makes sense, but isn't it also possible that some of it could be from different interpretations of the same thing?

Yes, ofcourse, you'll find many such things in jurisprudence. However as I said,

when we say moderate it should Sharia that should define moderation not person himself.

Very basic example: There isn't particular color of hijab, You don't need to wear a black burqa, any color would do, just it must not be too bright colored or anything that catches attention. Now, some sisters (May Allah subahanahu wata'ala forgive them) have taken this too far with all those rainbow and butterfly pattern 'hijab', with flowers, decorations, etc.. sometimes seeming to catch more attention than women without hijab. Some others limit concept of hijab to just scarf or a head cloth, wearing tight clothes. These types of 'moderations' are wrong.