Too Ugly to Marry

Kakorot

Julaybib (may Allaah be pleased with him) was hunchbacked and was described as being 'ugly.'

Before Islam, he sought refuge in the company of women because the men used to mock him. He slept under trees and roamed from one discomfort to another. He was barefoot and hungry; he possessed no status, wealth or family. His pillow was his own arm and his mattress was the uneven, rough, ground beneath him. But he always remembered his Lord and constantly recited the Quran.

One day, he met the Prophet :saw2: and asked: 'O Messenger of Allah, would I be able to enter Paradise even though my face is disfigured?' 'Yes,' he replied. 'O Messenger of Allah, why will no one marry me to their daughter?'

Was there any hope for Julaybib to be treated with respect and consideration? Was there any hope for him to find the emotional satisfaction as an individual and as a man? Was there any hope for him to enjoy the relationships which others take for granted? Just as he was aware of the great issue of life and destiny, the Prophet, who is a mercy for all mankind, was also aware of the needs of his most humble companions.

With Julaybib in mind, the Prophet :saw2: approached one of the notables of the Ansar to ask him to marry his daughter to Julaybib. 'To Julaybib?! No! By Allah, Never! We will never marry our daughter to him!,' the man's wife protested.

It was said amongst the Ansar, that there was no bride more eligible than her. The daughter overheard her mother's protest, and said: 'I am satisfied, and submit myself to whatever Allah's Messenger :saw2: deems good for me.' Therefore, the Prophet married her to Julaybib.

Shortly afterwards, Julaybib went on an expedition with the Prophet, and an encounter with some disbelievers ensued. When the battle was over, the Prophet said: 'I have lost a member of my family!.. I have lost Julaybib! Search for him!' Julaybib was found covered in wounds lying next to 7 disbelievers whom he had struck before meeting his end. With tears streaming down his face, the Prophet held Julaybib in his arms, and said: 'Julaybib is a part of me and I am a part of him, he was an orphan and so was I.' The Prophet rested Julaybib's head on his lap. The blessed tears of the Prophet flowed from his gentle eyes onto Julaybib's face. The Prophet repeated several times: 'You are from me and I am from you...' He smiled and then he turned away. When asked why, the Prophet said: 'I cried due to the deep love that I have for our beloved brother, Julaybib. I smiled because I saw him in Paradise, and then I turned away because I saw his wives ('hoors) running towards him so fast that their ankles became uncovered.

sis khadidja

proud to be muslim
:salam2: nice sis! thanks for sharing:shymuslima1:i was always thought by my mother its not what counts on the outside but in its what counts on the inside:hearts:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:
jazakallah khaira sister.........i heard this story b4 but the last part was missing..........it's a very beautiful story!!i felt so sad for this sahabe(radiallahu taa'ala unhu) when i heard this for the first time:(but right now seeing what he got in return i feel dazed:)