Tunisian Food

mint

Salem Alekom,

As a wifey to a tunisian man, a woman has got to learn no?

So here are three EASY recipes for those interested :)

Bismelleh,

TUNISIAN SALAD
This salad is amazing on a hot day.

Ingredients:

One lemon
Oliver Oil
Salt and Pepper
One big english cucumber or a few small ones
Two tomatoes
One medium onion

Very Easy, chop the cucumber/onion/tomatoes in cubes.

Dress with olive oil and lemon juice salt and pepper

Put it in the refrigirator so on a hot day its cold and refreshing!

(p.s. results may vary lol)

TUNISIAN BRIK

Brik is something we eat during the Holy Month of Ramadan. Little heavy but amazing.

Ingredients:

Brik sheets (kinda like a thin thin rice paper almost)
Eggs
Salt and Pepper
A big bouquet of parsley
Onion
4 or five patatoes

you can add tuna if you like

Peel and boil patatoes until soft.
Remove water, mash patatoes with fork and add one bouquet of chopped parsley and chopped oignon. Mix so the heat from the patatoes wilts everything down.

Once done put in a large bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.
Add eggs to mixture one at a time. You are look for a consistency thicker then an omelet. (Kinda pasty). This is the time to add tuna if you like.

The brik sheets are round so fold in the sides to make a square, spoon egg mixture in the center about two table spoons (the ones you eat). Remember the more you put the longer it takes to fry.

Fold the square in half so it makes a triangle. Deep fry. You can poke it with a fork to let air out and the oil get in to cook the inside.

It is cooked when your fork comes out clean.

This is served usually with lemon slices and very hot :)

TUNISIAN MECHOUIA

This is like a salsa now I use a thing made to crush tomatoes (my grand mother makes her own tomato sauce ) but for this purpose we will use a mini chopper or blender.

Ingredients:

two large green bell peppers
two long peppers (the spicy ones dont know how to say it )
(you can also add banana peppers or chili peppers depending how hot you like your food)
two large tomatoes
one large clove of garlic
(you can add tuna)
olive oil
salt and pepper

You need to grill or bake all of the veggies.
So until peppers are soft, until the garlic clove (leave skin on ) is mushy. The tomatoes are usually done first.

On a large sheet peel all the skins off the peppers and garlic clove.

Put all the veggies ina blender and pulse. Not too long just make sure everything is cubbed. Add salt and pepper

Serve on a flat plate under a large spoon full of oil. Garnish ontop with tuna.

If people are interested i have a a few more , just pm me :)

Boomerang

Thanks for the recipes sister.
Most of the ingredients of the TUNISIAN MECHOUIA I have growing in my garden (tomatoes garlic, peppers), so made the dish last night after work. I didnt use a blender, but used a mortar and pestle and served it with some crisp unlevened bread straight from an open fire. (which is where I cooked the vegies aswell.) Very nice! My son was very fond of it aswell.
I was reluctant to used canned tuna as I have reservations about the way the fish are caught. I know alot of other fish get thrown back to the sea, in states that have them dying slowly, when caught by tuna boats. So I omitted the fish. It was nice enough without it.

Im wondering if there is any way to make brik sheets from scratch. I cant seem to find any in the area I live in. Home made food, just has something different to it, so I would love to give it a go, if its possible.

I'm sure noone else would mind some more recipes if you are willing to share.

Thanks for the post.

Salaam alaykum