Turks protest Islamic-rooted government

IbnAlAawam

BENJAMIN HARVEY, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 53 minutes ago

ISTANBUL, Turkey - Some 700,000 Turks waving the red national flag flooded central Istanbul on Sunday to demand the resignation of the government, saying the Islamic roots of Turkey's leaders threatened to destroy the country's modern foundations.

Like the protesters — who gathered for the second large anti-government demonstration in two weeks — Turkey's powerful secular military has accused Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan of tolerating radical Islamic circles.

"They want to drag Turkey to the dark ages," said 63-year-old Ahmet Yurdakul, a retired government employee who attended the protest.

More than 300,000 people took part in a similar rally in Ankara two weeks ago. Police, who said Sunday's demonstrators numbered around 700,000, cordoned off the area and conducted body searches at several entry points.

Sunday's demonstration was organized more than a week ago, but it came a day after Erdogan's government rejected the military's warning about the disputed presidential election and called it interference that is unacceptable in a democracy.

The ruling party candidate, Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul, failed to win a first-round victory Friday in a parliamentary presidential vote marked by tensions between secularists and the pro-Islamic government. Most opposition legislators boycotted the vote and challenged its validity in the Constitutional Court.

The military said Friday night that it was gravely concerned and indicated it was willing to become more openly involved in the process — a statement some interpreted as an ultimatum to the government to rein in officials who promote Islamic initiatives.

Sunday's crowd chanted that the presidential palace was "closed to imams."

Some said Parliament Speaker Bulent Arinc was an enemy of the secular system, because he said the next president should be "pious."

In the 1920s, with the Ottoman Empire in ruins, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk imposed Western laws, replaced Arabic script with the Latin alphabet, banned Islamic dress and granted women the right to vote.

The ruling party, however, has supported religious schools and tried to lift the ban on Islamic head scarves in public offices and schools. Secularists are also uncomfortable with the idea of Gul's wife, Hayrunisa, being in the presidential palace because she wears the traditional Muslim head scarf.

"We don't want a covered woman in Ataturk's presidential palace," said Ayse Bari, a 67-year-old housewife. "We want civilized, modern people there."

The military, one of the most respected institutions in Turkey, regards itself as the guardian of the secular system and has staged three coups since 1960.

"Neither Sharia, nor coup but fully democratic Turkey," read a banner carried by a demonstrator on Sunday.

____

Associated Press Writer Selcan Hacaoglu in Ankara contributed to this report.

Salam

LOL Turkey is not fully democratic and never was.

Turkey is at a standstill since 30 years. There is no progress society
and scientific innovations. I think there never was a patend done by
Turkey.
There are Islamic countries that are wayyy over Turkey.

Turkey is also not secular. Thats a lie. Turkey is too nationalistic to be
secular.

Also Turkey will never be able to keep up with Europe or the rest of the
World.

Im just honest

Peace

unalsnake

i am from turkey leader of this protests are kafeer she said salah/namaz is lie Creation lie and she said i hate mohammad

korgan

Slave of Rahman
Salam

LOL Turkey is not fully democratic and never was.

Turkey is at a standstill since 30 years. There is no progress society
and scientific innovations. I think there never was a patend done by
Turkey.
There are Islamic countries that are wayyy over Turkey.

Turkey is also not secular. Thats a lie. Turkey is too nationalistic to be
secular.

Also Turkey will never be able to keep up with Europe or the rest of the
World.

Im just honest

Peace

Assalamun Aleykum

İ am from turkey. i live that u watch.
protesters is not majority of people. majority of people dont think like protesters. and the goverment grow stronger after this protest. because people who are dont think to vote for goverment, decided to vote for goverment. and probably now goverment will take %50 vote. because majority of peole angry.

i dont know, is there a lot of islamic country over turkey, but i know that Turkey isnt standstill since 30 years.

make dua for us!

As salamun aleykum

unalsnake

Assalamun Aleykum

protesters is not majority of people. majority of people dont think like protesters. and the goverment grow stronger after this protest. because people who are dont think to vote for goverment, decided to vote for goverment. and probably now goverment will take %50 vote. because majority of peole angry.

i dont know, is there a lot of islamic country over turkey, but i know that Turkey isnt standstill since 30 years.

make dua for us!

As salamun aleykum

yes brother telling true many many people will vote goverment. i dont want to vote them but i will vote them now because this kafeers(some of them)fighting islam they are enemy of islam

apocalypse77

lol turkey is one of the craziest country ive eer seen..who says an islamic government is so backwards?just look at malaysia as an example

tabaria

When where the turks great? It was under Islamic rule. These people need to look at their own history. Look at the flag they carry, that big cresent doesn't mean secular. They almost worship the guy that made turkey officially secular, not the old rulers who actually made it great, like Suleiman, or mehmet.

I ask what has any muslim country gained under secular role?

And what secular traditions? they started off as nomads 600 years ago and because of Islam founded an empire and a home. Once again these people need to learn their own history.

unalsnake

yes when we turks are taking flag of ottoman we was great. Fatih Yavuz Suleiman are best leaders in ottoman history but after ataturk our worths gone some ataturk lovers enemy of islam for example this protest leaders

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Al Hamdolillah - A Bliss from God

Alhamdolillah, Brothers and sisters you should thank God for this!!!

Secularists know for sure that the Islamic party will score high if not win over the whole thing, this is why they undemocratically protest against elections before/while they take place.

They know and are afraid of the fact that true democracy will make Islamic leaders reach the stage, like in Palestine; u know that after the elections in Palestine, many western politicians claimed democracy was not fit for the Middle East!

How HYPOCRITIC! If they claim they are so democratic, why then they reject the foreseen results of the very democratic elections.

Alhamdolillah, democracy backfired against them and only gave and will continue to give reversed results, because Allah said:

They desire to put out the light of Allah with their mouths, and Allah will not consent save to perfect His light, though the unbelievers are averse. (9:32)

i was just shokd about the hijab rules.

i think as goverment they should not force muslims to wear hijab nor to prohibitad to wear hijab.

acctuelly if a girl not wants to wear hijab or wants to wear hijab its her decision .

we are not allow to force them to do against their will or?

if they dont do that with ikhlas(only for allah) their deeds will also not accepted by allah.

apocalypse77

i was just shokd about the hijab rules.

i think as goverment they should not force muslims to wear hijab nor to prohibitad to wear hijab.

acctuelly if a girl not wants to wear hijab or wants to wear hijab its her decision .

we are not allow to force them to do against their will or?

if they dont do that with ikhlas(only for allah) their deeds will also not accepted by allah.

my sentiments..were not asking for a taliban regime for goodness sake and pls, to say islamic government=backwards in really a narrow minded view

Praise_2_Allah!

Assalamun Aleykum

make dua for us!

As salamun aleykum

Asalamu Alaykum,

Thank you Brother/ Sister! You've offered me some hope that there are some devout Turkish people out there. The Turkish 'secularists' (a.k.a Secular extremists) seem to be having some sort of an identity crisis. Many of them say they are 'secular' but follow some Muslim traditions, i.e. celebrating Eid. I see this as entirely hypocritical. If you want to be secular, fine, but don't call yourself a Muslim and celebrate Eid with a night out drinking. It's a mockery.

The problem with Turkey is that it's too secular for the middle-east and too conservative for the west. The west will never accept them, Europeans call them fundamentalists. Why try to be like those who are always gonna think of you as a bunch of terrorists? It makes no sense. It's like licking the hand that slaps you.

Anyway this protest won't make a difference because the people have no power over who becomes president. May Allah guide the unguided & protect the righteous from the evil of Shaytan.

Salam

Praise_2_Allah!

Assalamun Aleykum

make dua for us!

As salamun aleykum

Asalamu Alaykum,

Thank you Brother! You've offered me hope that there are some devout Turkish people out there. The Turkish 'secularists' (a.k.a Secular extremists) seem to be having some sort of an identity crisis. Many of them say they are 'secular' but follow some Muslim traditions, i.e. celebrating Eid. I see this as entirely hypocritical. If you want to be secular, fine, but don't call yourself a Muslim and celebrate Eid with a night out drinking. It's a mockery.

The problem with Turkey is that it's too secular for the middle-east and too conservative for the west. The west will never accept them, Europeans call them fundamentalists. Why try to be like those who are always gonna think of you as a bunch of terrorists? It makes no sense. It's like licking the hand that slaps you.

Anyway this protest won't make a difference because the people have no power over who becomes president. May Allah guide the unguided & protect the righteous from the evil of Shaytan.

Salam

:salam2: Ata Turk was a namesake muslim.He was not that great a man as they say he was. The turkish girls were and are still jailed sometimes even sentenced to death for wearing a hijab.

Azizkakar

BENJAMIN HARVEY, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 53 minutes ago

ISTANBUL, Turkey - Some 700,000 Turks waving the red national flag flooded central Istanbul on Sunday to demand the resignation of the government, saying the Islamic roots of Turkey's leaders threatened to destroy the country's modern foundations.

Like the protesters — who gathered for the second large anti-government demonstration in two weeks — Turkey's powerful secular military has accused Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan of tolerating radical Islamic circles.

"They want to drag Turkey to the dark ages," said 63-year-old Ahmet Yurdakul, a retired government employee who attended the protest.

More than 300,000 people took part in a similar rally in Ankara two weeks ago. Police, who said Sunday's demonstrators numbered around 700,000, cordoned off the area and conducted body searches at several entry points.

Sunday's demonstration was organized more than a week ago, but it came a day after Erdogan's government rejected the military's warning about the disputed presidential election and called it interference that is unacceptable in a democracy.

The ruling party candidate, Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul, failed to win a first-round victory Friday in a parliamentary presidential vote marked by tensions between secularists and the pro-Islamic government. Most opposition legislators boycotted the vote and challenged its validity in the Constitutional Court.

The military said Friday night that it was gravely concerned and indicated it was willing to become more openly involved in the process — a statement some interpreted as an ultimatum to the government to rein in officials who promote Islamic initiatives.

Sunday's crowd chanted that the presidential palace was "closed to imams."

Some said Parliament Speaker Bulent Arinc was an enemy of the secular system, because he said the next president should be "pious."

In the 1920s, with the Ottoman Empire in ruins, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk imposed Western laws, replaced Arabic script with the Latin alphabet, banned Islamic dress and granted women the right to vote.

The ruling party, however, has supported religious schools and tried to lift the ban on Islamic head scarves in public offices and schools. Secularists are also uncomfortable with the idea of Gul's wife, Hayrunisa, being in the presidential palace because she wears the traditional Muslim head scarf.

"We don't want a covered woman in Ataturk's presidential palace," said Ayse Bari, a 67-year-old housewife. "We want civilized, modern people there."

The military, one of the most respected institutions in Turkey, regards itself as the guardian of the secular system and has staged three coups since 1960.

"Neither Sharia, nor coup but fully democratic Turkey," read a banner carried by a demonstrator on Sunday.

____

Associated Press Writer Selcan Hacaoglu in Ankara contributed to this report.

Assalamualaikum,

I think all muslim societies not only Turky divided in two factions first islamists and second secular. this kind of fighting is going on alsmost all muslim societies there is not difference between these seculars and Christains

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
Islam will prevail

From the Ottoman rule to having protests against islamic government. May the rule of Islam reign everywhere, and may Allah SWT smite Islam's opponents.

Diplomat17

ANKARA — The Turkish parliament overwhelmingly voted on Thursday, May 3, in favor of organizing early general elections to resolve a lingering crisis over electing a new president.
The proposal to hold early polls on July 22 was approved by all of the 458 lawmakers present in the 550-seat parliament after the televised voting, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The vote came after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's ruling Justice and Development party submitted an official request to run snap polls.

The Constitutional Court has annulled the first round of vote to elect Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul as president over the lack of the required parliamentary quorum.

The parliament is set to vote in a re-run of the first-round on Sunday, May 6.

But the secularist opposition has already said it would boycott the session as it did the first time, making it impossible for the ruling AK to garner the necessary support.

Outgoing President Ahmet Necdet Sezer would remain in office until a new parliament could choose a successor.

In Turkey, the government holds most power. But the president has the authority to approve legislation and appoint key officials.

Amendments

The July 22 election date gives the AK, which has 351 seats in parliament, enough time to push sweeping constitutional amendments.

Erdogan has proposed electing the president through a popular vote and modifying his term from the current single, seven-year mandate to run for a once-renewable, five-year tenure.

He also wants general elections held every four years instead of the current five.

The AK sought opposition support for the package in a bid to garner the required two-third majority -- or 367 votes -- to approve constitutional amendments without a referendum.

The changes would also need to be okayed by the president.

Erdogan has said he would like to hold general and presidential elections at the same time if parliament enacts the amendments in time, but a senior party official appeared doubtful.

"If the majority of parliament agrees on these changes and passes them in four or five days, it will be possible to put two ballot boxes in front of the people," AK parliamentary group chairman Sadullah Erdgin told NTV television.

"But it is difficult to say when the reforms will be voted on, whether the president will approve them or whether there will be a referendum."

The AK is widely expected to win any snap polls, cashing on a strong economic growth and the launch of historic EU membership talks since sweeping to power in 2002.

- www.islamonline.net
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...93255634&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout