two kind of salam in my muslim society

hambaAllah

:bismillah:
:salam2: bros/sis
there is 2 salam in my society,,, one is the usual muslim greetings of assalam mualaikum warahmatuallahi wabarakahtu which is verbal and universal i guess :)
the other salam is physical eg whenever we meet muslim sisters that we know,, we greet them verbally n then stretch out our right hand to salam her,,,If she an older person,, will have to kiss the right backhand while still holding on to it, bending about 45degrees,, a sign of respect n seeking forgiveness,,, for we might have sin by talking bad about that person or have bad thoughts in our heart.The younger person will always have to kiss the proffered right hand of an elder ,,same goes for the male too but only if they r mahram. Normally we dont verbally greet a non mahram male,,but if they do greet us,, we r suppose to respond in our heart not verbally.Always the younger person wud have to kiss the hand of the older person,,,but i guess this act is dying a slow death cos nowadays parents dont instill this kind of manners no more tooo busy chasing the $$$$$$. I am glad that i taught my son to salam both his parents everytime he leaves/comes home,,,for i told him we wont know either of us will be alive after this salam,, so least u know u begged/asked for forgiveness before u leave the house.He always verbally greets salam his muslim brothers too.I salam my hubby daily,, whether he is in good or foul mood,,,both the verbal n physical salam,when he leaves to go out/work at least i know we forgiven each other for all my mistakes/sins shud any of us depart fm this world. Forgiveness I beg if anything that ive written offended anyone cos of my poor command of English,,,,:jazaak: :wasalam:

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
salam alaykum...

sister in Allah.....

bending about 45degrees,, a sign of respect n seeking forgiveness

it's haraam ..... bowing ( bending ) to someone other than Allaah. it's haraam

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “A man said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah :saw:, when one of us meets his friend, can he bow to him?’ The Messenger of Allaah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘Can he hug him and kiss him?’ He :saw: said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘Can he shake hands with him?’ He said :saw:, ‘Yes, if he wishes.’” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2728; he said it is a hasan hadeeth. Also narrated by Ibn Maajah. 3702. The hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 160).

Ibn Taymiyah said: “With regard to bowing in greeting, this is forbidden as narrated in al-Tirmidhi from the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), that they asked him about a man who meets his brother and bows to him, and he said no to that. That is because it is not permitted to bow or prostrate for anyone except Allaah.” (Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 1/377).

sister......If you any person whom bowing ( bending ) to others ....say to him it's haraam and that is a kind of shirk

and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa'idah 5:2]

<wasalam alaykum>

hambaAllah

:salam2: bro
:jazaak:for kind info, i was under the impression one must never sujud to any1 but Allah swt,,,in the meantime i stop bending when doing that salam, maybe that a tradition that we blindly follow generation after generation dueto lack of religious knowledge.. my son will be informed too,,,once again tks a zillion for info....May Allah swt forgive me for my ignorance,, ameem ameen ameen Ya rabba Allahmeen

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Jazzak Allah Khyran brother Islamic Fajer :D
just wondering kissing the hand of parents is nothing wrong with it ??
acutally we have to do it to kiss thier hand as respect There is no harm in kissing the hands of elders, religious teachers or scholars to express love, respect and admiration for them.??

However, in kissing the hands, one should be very careful not to put one's forehead on the hands of the person, because this is a form of sajdah (prostration). The sajdah is only for Almighty Allah. Making sajdah to any person or thing is forbidden in Islam.

wa salaam

Abu.Amirah

Assalamu aleikum,

Please correct me if am wrong here but the way I understand when we kiss our father,mothers ,grandfathers/mothers arm its not that we bow or do sijda for them we just kiss the hand to express the love and the respect for them.Sumtimes we kiss the hands or the forehead.
When I do this I dont have the intension in my heart that am bowing to them but I want to kiss them.For example our grandys sumtimes they are old and you cant ask them to stand so that u can kiss them but you hav to go down for the hand to kiss it,but it doesnt mean that am bowing for him/her.:astag:
As long the person is your mahram then its fine but if not then its haram.

Please correct me if am wrong here!
:jazaak:

safiye

too common to kiss elder's hands then put forehead

!n Turkey the most respectful way to greet elder people kissing their hand and put your forehead.If it is shirk then why no imam warn people here ?

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member

As-salam Alaykum Wa-rahmatullahi Wa-barakatuh

in the meantime i stop bending when doing that salam, maybe that a tradition that we blindly follow generation after generation dueto lack of religious knowledge.. my son will be informed too
Bowing to anyone other than Allaah is haraam

The usual greeting is “Assalaamu ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (Peace be upon you, and the Mercy of Allaah and His Blessings), because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“greet one another with a greeting from Allaah (i.e. say: As-Salaamu ‘Alaykum — peace be on you), blessed and good”

[al-Noor 24:61]

The ahaadeeth explain this greeting clearly.

But bowing is not permitted, unless the person being greeted is old and is unable to stand up, or is one of your parents and you do not want to make him or her stand up to shake your hand or embrace you. So if you bow and kiss his head or forehead out of respect for the rights that he has over you, then this is not the kind of bowing that constitutes an act of worship. Undoubtedly bowing is an act of worship towards Allaah, as in rukoo’ (the bowing in prayer), so if that is done without shaking hands or kissing, it is an act of veneration towards that person and is therefore shirk.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen.

======================================

In conclusion

standing, sitting, bowing and prostrating are all due to the One God, the Creator of the heavens and the earth. Whatever is a right only for Allaah, no one else can have a share in it, such as swearing by anyone other than Allaah etc.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 27/92, 93.

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

It is not permissible to bow when greeting or to take off one's shoes for someone.

And they said:

It is not permissible to bow in greeting to a Muslim or to a kaafir, not with the upper part of the body or with the head, because bowing is an act of worship and worship can only be done for Allaah alone.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/233, 234

=======================================

Mrmuslim said:
just wondering kissing the hand of parents is nothing wrong with it ??
acutally we have to do it to kiss thier hand as respect There is no harm in kissing the hands of elders, religious teachers or scholars to express love, respect and admiration for them.??

However, in kissing the hands, one should be very careful not to put one's forehead on the hands of the person, because this is a form of sajdah (prostration). The sajdah is only for Almighty Allah. Making sajdah to any person or thing is forbidden in Islam.

The correct way to greet scholars is to greet them with salaam and shake their hand. Many ahaadeeth have been narrated concerning the virtue of these actions. It is also permissible to kiss their heads or hands sometimes, but that should not be taken as a habit or custom, especially if it is done instead of shaking hands.

Shaykh Muhammad Naasir al-Deen al-Albaani said:

With regard to kissing the hand, there are many ahaadeeth and reports concerning that, which when taken together indicate that this is proven from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). We think that it is permissible to kiss the hand of the scholar if the following conditions are met:

1. That it does not become a custom to such an extent that the scholar habitually stretches out his hand to his students and they habitually seek blessing by kissing his hand, because although the hand of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was kissed, that happened rarely, and such matters cannot be taken as a Sunnah to be done regularly, as is well known from the basic principles of fiqh.

2. That should not make the scholar feel arrogant towards others or admire himself, as happens among many shaykhs nowadays.

3. That should not lead to abandoning any well known Sunnah, such as shaking hands, which is prescribed because of the words and actions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and is a shar’i means of the sins of those who shake hands being erased, as is narrated in more than one hadeeth. It is not permissible to supercede it or ignore it for another habit which, at best, is permissible.

Al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 1/302

<wasalam alaykum>

M

Mehry

:salam2: every1

Theres nothing wrong about kissing the hands of our parents actually i' ve read in ahadith that when some1 kisses his/her father's hands every morning Allah will open to him/her the door of Paradise and when he/she kisses his/hers mother's forehead every morning Allah will build a house for her/him in Paradise inshAllah................

Please correct me if am wrong here!

:wasalam:

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:salam2:

In my opinion I think alot of people combine culture(Tradition) and Islamic ruling together.:frown:

Nur Sarah

:salam2: bros/sis
but i guess this act is dying a slow death cos nowadays parents dont instill this kind of manners no more tooo busy chasing the $$$$$$. I am glad that i taught my son to salam both his parents everytime he leaves/comes home,,,for i told him we wont know either of us will be alive after this salam,, so least u know u begged/asked for forgiveness before u leave the house.,,,:jazaak: :wasalam:

:bismillah: :salam2: my family is very strong with this tradition..they have told me the same thing. every morning would i ask forgivness and every night i would as well. befor leaving and coming home. thank you for the topic sis:wasalam:

Azra

:salam2:

In my opinion I think alot of people combine culture(Tradition) and Islamic ruling together.:frown:

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah hiwabarakatuh,

I agree with you Ukthi Zarah. In my country, we also have similar greetings like in Singapore where Ukthi HambaAllah is residing. We do kiss the hands of our parents as a sign of respect but we do not bow to them, we just bend slightly to kiss their hands.

I suppose there is a fine line between culture and Islamic rulings and if we are not careful, the little ones might think it is okay to do so and they might grow up thinking it is Islamic rulings.

Wassalam.

Asiya-sparkles

Assalamu alaikom wa rahma tullah wa burrahktohu,

shukran for a good thread, I've always been taught to kiss the cheeks of a sister 3 times (not of strangers but of those I closely associate with.

Alhamdulillah, for an informative thread. May Allah reward you all.

fi amanillah