Two meanings of 'Islam'?

searching soul

If the word 'Islam' means 'Submission to God', does the Koran refer to all devout monotheists when it talks of the people who follow it? Or is it talking specifically about people who believe the Koran to be God's message, as per popular usage of the term?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2: (peace be upon you)
Islam has two meanings, yes. It can be "Peace" (derived from the word "Salam" in Arabic) and it can be submission.

Anyways, to your question: The Qur'an states that Allah accepts only Islamic Monotheism (Islam). Therefore, submission to God really means being a Muslim.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Islam means submission to God. All the Prophets (Abraham Moses Noah Jesus and Muhammad Peace Be Upon Them and others) were Muslims by that definition, they came with different scriptures for different times, but because of their submission to God they were all Muslims.

Islam is derived from the root word peace... so in all it means Aquiring peace in the heart due to submission to God/Allah

(bad explanation... but it was the best i could come up with... i hope it helped a little bit)

searching soul

Thank you all for the replies. Could anyone direct me to where the Koran states as NewMuslim says, please.

So, every single time the Koran says 'Islam', it is refering to the following of the Koran's teachings? And, by 'accepts', do you mean 'won't send to Hell'? Well, that's given me away. What I want to know is, have I whittled my way down to two religions who both happen to claim I'll spend eternity in Hell if I don't pick them? Or, as Samiha seems to suggest, are the details not quite so vital according to the Koran?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Thank you all for the replies. Could anyone direct me to where the Koran states as NewMuslim says, please.

So, every single time the Koran says 'Islam', it is refering to the following of the Koran's teachings? And, by 'accepts', do you mean 'won't send to Hell'? Well, that's given me away. What I want to know is, have I whittled my way down to two religions who both happen to claim I'll spend eternity in Hell if I don't pick them? Or, as Samiha seems to suggest, are the details not quite so vital according to the Koran?

Certainly, let me find the verse.

But, I'll post a quick response to your "join or go to hell" question.

In a Hadith (I'll have to find it), it states that all who Allah chose not to go to Heaven will spend a time in Hell, and all in Heaven will make intercession for those in Hell. Allah will then send His angels to Hell to get out the people who:

1) Are monotheistic

and/or

2) Who have done enough good deeds (may vary from person-to-person, it's up to Allah) and is a good person.

Also note that Allah isn't bound to what people think. Allah may let some non-Muslims in Heaven, it's all up to Him...

EDIT: Know that I didn't contradict myself. Allah accepts only Islamic Monotheism meaning that you are certain you'll get into Heaven if you are a practicing Muslim, but Allah can allow anyone He wants into His Heaven. It's just dangerous (VERY dangerous) to listen to the teachings of Islam and turn away from it thinking "I'll go to Heaven anyway".

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
A Qur'an references to the whole "Islamic Monotheism" thing:

2:132 - "And this (submission to Allah, Islam) was enjoined by Ibrahim (Abraham) upon his sons and by Ya'qub (Joseph), (saying) "Oh my sons! Allah has chosen for you the (true) religion, then die not except in the faith of Islam".

searching soul

Ah, thank you. Yes, I appreciate that complacency would be selfish and dangerous. Avoiding Hell is not my sole objective - pleasing God is my priority - though I'd rather know where I stand with it, of course. Might help me think more clearly as I'm learning more and sorting it all out in my mind, to not have these nagging thoughts.

Thank you again for your help. :)

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Interesting... Not a Hadith but still:

"Hell is meant to purify those in it of the effects of their bad deeds, and so make them fit for further advancement. Its punishment is, therefore, not everlasting."
From a website called muslim.org. Remember, though, that "not everlasting" doesn't necessarily mean "short period of time".

The Prophet Muhammad :saw: will also make intercession:

Volume 1, Book 7, Number 331: Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

"The Prophet said, "I have been given five things which were not given to any one else before me.

...4. I have been given the right of intercession (on the Day of Resurrection)."

The Prophet will make intercession for people and it's up to Allah to accept it. Remember that Allah loves good deeds and monotheists and usually accepts them the most. Lead a good life and Allah will (probably, as I don't know His plan for you) grant you into Heaven either...

1) After your time in Hell

or

2) Immediatly (no time in Hell).

I'll look for more things on this subject, but doesn't this tell you that Allah is Merciful, even to non-Muslims?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Ah, thank you. Yes, I appreciate that complacency would be selfish and dangerous. Avoiding Hell is not my sole objective - pleasing God is my priority - though I'd rather know where I stand with it, of course. Might help me think more clearly as I'm learning more and sorting it all out in my mind, to not have these nagging thoughts.

Thank you again for your help. :)

No problem, but all thanks goes to Allah.

Even if you don't make a decision between Islam, you may still please Allah. Remember that Allah loves it when people do good deeds to please Him and when they are monotheistic (not joining ANYBODY with Him, including Jesus).

searching soul

Interesting... Not a Hadith but still:
I'll look for more things on this subject, but doesn't this tell you that Allah is Merciful, even to non-Muslims?
Oh yes. In Christianity too, no human deserves to escape Hell. God may morally select however and whomever He pleases. I'm familiar with and accepting of this concept.:)

No problem, but all thanks goes to Allah.
Of course. Thank You God:jumpclap:
(Would it be wrong for me to call Him Allah at this stage?)

Remember that Allah loves it when people do good deeds to please Him and when they are monotheistic (not joining ANYBODY with Him, including Jesus).
Well, I've always thought of my current beliefs(?) as monotheistic. Does the Koran suggest that Christians aren't? I have noticed some Muslims think that. Or should I start a whole other thread about this? It gets complicated. What do you suggest?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Oh yes. In Christianity too, no human deserves to escape Hell. God may morally select however and whomever He pleases. I'm familiar with and accepting of this concept.:)

Nice :D

Of course. Thank You God:jumpclap:
(Would it be wrong for me to call Him Allah at this stage?)

"Allah" means "The God"; so no, it wouldn't be wrong.

Well, I've always thought of my current beliefs(?) as monotheistic. Does the Koran suggest that Christians aren't? I have noticed some Muslims think that. Or should I start a whole other thread about this? It gets complicated. What do you suggest?

Christianity technically is monotheistic (the whole Trinity thing) but according the the Qur'an it isn't. A lot of references point to Allah saying that anybody elevating a man or any of Allah's creations (basically everything but Allah) to the status of worshipping them, saying they created stuff, etc. (attributes that belong only to Allah) is considered idolotry and polytheism.

Though, I was a former Christian, so I understand the Christian view on concept of the Trinity. You should make a new thread about it because many different types of people will answer you, instead of just myself.

searching soul

Hehe, OK that did sound harsh. I do have my limits, I suppose. I've never been convinced that babies and fetuses deserve Hell, for example. Neither religion's text addresses that issue directly, as far as I can tell, so I just trust God with it. Nothing else I can do.

You should make a new thread about it because many different types of people will answer you, instead of just myself.
OK, I'll get going on that soon, God willing. Thanks. :)

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Hehe, OK that did sound harsh. I do have my limits, I suppose. I've never been convinced that babies and fetuses deserve Hell, for example. Neither religion's text addresses that issue directly, as far as I can tell, so I just trust God with it. Nothing else I can do.

In Islam, all are created as Muslims, but later on they may choose the wrong path. So if a baby or fetus dies, it get's Heaven. Though, it probbly won't get the highest level of Heaven (Firdaws).

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

OK, I'll get going on that soon, God willing. Thanks. :)

Babies and foetuses going to hell ? This definintely not in Islam.

All people, black, white, American, Chinese, English even Canadians!! are all born Equal and free of sin. We are born in a state of fitrah. Fitrah is our natural disposition. We are born Muslim. It is our parents or those around us that make us into Christian, Jew or raise us up as Muslim.

The Prophet :saw: said> ‘Every new-born child is born in a state of fitrah. Then his parents make him a Jew, a Christian or a Magian, just as an animal is born intact. Do you observe any among them that are maimed (at birth)?’ (Sahih Muslim)

Therefore, there is no original sin in Islam.

please see the following :

Is a Newly Born Baby really a Sinner? Islam Challenges The Concept of Original Sin

Also you will find the following very useful indeed:

Learn About Islam Full Video Covering Many Topics

The Declaration of Faith in Islam

Thank you!! and welcome!! :salah:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
In Islam, all are created as Muslims, but later on they may choose the wrong path. So if a baby or fetus dies, it get's Heaven. Though, it probbly won't get the highest level of Heaven (Firdaws).

Assalamu Alaykum brother,

You can not simply state things like that. I have never heard of such a statement. There is nothing to stop children from getting to highest level of heaven, this is all a matter with Allah, and he is the most Just and most compassionate.

Wasalam