UK School definition of Hijaab/Jilbaab!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
As-salaamu `alaykum

As many of you know, there has been a lot of speculation in the past year and two regarding hijaab, jilbaab and niqaab in schools/universities.

The government is currently putting together a consultation on school uniforms & how far uniform can go in including attire such as religious dress. This consultation is open to the public and they are currently taking into consideration what the public has to say (there is a near deadline so hurry!)

What does this have to with us?

Well, results of the consultation will be forwarded to all governing bodies and schools to help them create policies for school uniform. Inevitably, this will directly affect the many Muslim students in such schools.

It is vital for us to get involved and try to push the consultation results so that we as Muslim women can carry on wearing our Islamic dress and others after us too.

The consultation document, as it says: "includes draft guidance on school uniform, dress codes and other rules on appearance. The guidance provides advice to schools and governing bodies on how to develop fair and reasonable uniform policies."

Please, can everyone fill out the short government consultation

The more people we have filling this in, the better. Please pass it to your families, friends, colleagues at school, uni, work etc. Anyone can fill it in, male, female, Muslim, non-Muslim.

Fill it in here: http://www.dfes.gov.uk/consultations/conRespond.cfm?consultationId=1468

Consultation (guidance):

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/consultations/downloadableDocs/Uniform consultation.mht

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/consultation...468&dId=776&sId=4511&numbering=1&itemNumber=1

I have attached a guideline on HOW TO RESPOND written by sister Umm Safiyyah. Please everyone read it so you can understand how to respond to the questions - sometimes they've been phrased in a particular way, which may be ambigiuous and require careful thought on how it can impact Islamic dress.

Please let us know when you've filled it out by emailing back here [email protected] . If you have any problems filling it out, please ask us for help

You may contact through email or call sister Monjie on: 07944 732 589

A big jazakumullaahu khayran!

Wasalaamu `alaykum wa rahmatullaah

P.S: Sisters in question want their e-mail & Phone numbers distributed to all Muslim in UK.

Attachments

• Guidanceonhowtorespond.pdf
    473.3 KB · Views: 8

amyaishazouaoui

It is vital for us to get involved and try to push the consultation results so that we as Muslim women can carry on wearing our Islamic dress and others after us too.

:salam2:

Something u not telling us???

This is actually one of the things I want to ask the senior management in school when I go back next week. It was never problem for me to wear jilba in the labs at uni and is not a problem for me to wear a long top and skirt in school. But if i turned up in jilbab (which is essentially a long sleeved long dress) I wonder if the would have a hissy fit??? Maybe Il just have to ty it on my last day and see what happens, then they cant chuck me out!!! :lol:

When I discuss it with them I will let you know the outcome inshallah

:wasalam:

AAZ (i like that, although im thinking of dropping the Z)

amyaishazouaoui

Judaism
Dress requirements vary with orthodoxy. For more orthodox Jews women and girls are expected to keep the body covered and married women cover their hair. Boys and men often wear a skullcap.

Islam
The reason for young women beyond puberty wishing to wear full clothing is modesty; that is, not wishing to receive unnecessary attention.

Young women are appropriately modestly dressed if they are wearing salwar kammez or jilbaab with headscarf without the need to wear niqaab in school.

Men are expected to be covered from waist to knee in public places, many Muslim men may also choose to wear a cap but this is not a compulsory religious requirement.

Sikhism
In general covering the body is a requirement. All initiated Sikhs wear the five ‘K’ symbols as a sign of their initiation into the Sikh community. Male Sikhs wear a turban, the removal of this is unacceptable.

OK everyone you need to get cracking on this one!!!

The removal of a turban is unacceptable, but it is not stated that removal of a hijab is unacceptable!!!! Jewish women are "expected to keep their body covered" but muslim women...nothing is said about awra and nothing is really said about the purpose of a jilbab, or what one is!!!!

I think i need to progress to senior management and onto the education dept in the government and kick some!!!!!!

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

Is there a smiley for egg-on-face?

O, Horrors! of copy-paste!

P.S: As long as you realise that without the "Z" you will just be another recovery Service! :)

Something u not telling us???

This is actually one of the things I want to ask the senior management in school when I go back next week. It was never problem for me to wear jilba in the labs at uni and is not a problem for me to wear a long top and skirt in school. But if i turned up in jilbab (which is essentially a long sleeved long dress) I wonder if the would have a hissy fit??? Maybe Il just have to ty it on my last day and see what happens, then they cant chuck me out!!! :lol:

When I discuss it with them I will let you know the outcome inshallah

AAZ (i like that, although im thinking of dropping the Z)

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
W-Salam,

Is there a smiley for egg-on-face?

O, Horrors! of copy-paste!

P.S: As long as you realise that without the "Z" you will just be another recovery Service! :)

Yes... but for what, alcoholics or automobiles?

I think I've already mentioned that I live in the Muslim ghetto of Leicester. I think our local secondary (Moat College) tends to be quite accommodating vis-a-vis uniform. Not that they have much choice, mind :D

Status
Not open for further replies.