UK schools can ban veils

umm hussain

London - Britain on Tuesday gave school head teachers the right to ban the Muslim veil or other religious clothing from classrooms, but the move was immediately branded "shocking" by a Muslim leader.

A spokesperson for the department for education and skills stressed that the new guidelines did not mean that the government was imposing a blanket ban on religious clothing at schools.

The guidelines require schools to consult with the local community, including students' parents, before deciding on a uniform policy, and note that, where possible, they should be tolerant of religious dress.

But certain items of clothing, such as the full-face veil, or niqab, may be banned if head teachers believe that they hamper safety, security or learning, so long as a consultation is carried out.

"Schools must act reasonably in accommodating religious requirements, providing they do not pose a threat to security, safety and learning, or compromise the well-being of the whole school community," said the guidelines.

But they added: "Where individual requirements have an impact in any of these areas, schools are within their rights to take appropriate action," while saying they must consult with parents and the local community.

'Failed to give proper guidance'

Massoud Shadjareh, chairperson of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, voiced dismay at the new rules.

He said: "Successive ministers dealing with education issues have failed to give proper guidance when requested by human rights campaigners about schools' obligations regarding religious dress.

"To now proceed to issue guidance against Muslim communities is simply shocking."

The new rules follow a high-profile British court case in which the father of a 12-year-old Muslim girl was last month refused permission to challenge a school's ban on her wearing the niqab during lessons.

Source

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,9294,2-10-1462_2086474,00.html

salaamalikum,

I agree it's totally absurd!! If they think Muslims are religious we can say they are "religious" themselves. Their religion allows them to walk around half naked with a cross on their necks, while ours tells us to be covered and modest. Is this what they call Democracy? more like hypocrisy. Wish they could show this on CNN and to the rest of the West, these people are blind (in the eyes and in the heart).

misalat

FAJR PRAYER ...SALAT

A man woke up early in order to pray the Fajr prayer
in the masjid. He
got dressed, made his ablution and was on his way to
the masjid.

On his way to the masjid, the man fell and his clothes
got dirty. He
got up, brushed himself off, and headed home. At home,
he changed his
clothes, made his ablution, and was, again, on his way
to the masjid.

On his way to the masjid, he fell again and at the
same spot! He,
again, got up, brushed himself off and headed home. At
home he, once again,
changed his clothes, made his ablution and was on his
way to the
masjid.

On his way to the masjid, he met a man holding a lamp.
He asked the man
of his identity and the man replied I saw you fall
twice on your way to
the masjid, so I brought a lamp so I can light your
way." The first man
thanked him profusively and the two where on their way
to the masjid.

Once at the masjid, the first man asked the man with
the lamp to come
in and pray Fajr with him. The second man refused. The
first man asked
him a couple more times and, again, the answer was the
same. The first
man asked him why he did not wish to come in and pray.
He man replied "I
am Satan."

The man was shocked at this reply. Satan went on to
explain, "I saw you
on your way to the masjid and it was I who made you
fall.

When you went home, cleaned yourself and went back on
your way to the
masjid, Allah forgave all of your sins. I made you
fall a second time,
and even that did not encourage you to stay home, but
rather, you went
back on your way to the masjid.
Because of that, Allah forgave all the sins of the
people of your
household. I was afraid if i made you fall one more
time, then Allah will
forgive the sins of the people of your village, so i
made sure that you
reached the masjid safely."

So do not let Satan benefit from his actions. Do not
put off a good
that you intended to do as you never know how much
reward you might
receive from the hardships you encounter while trying
to achieve that good.

carpy321

Im going to try and look at this from both views.. so please do not thrown upon me for this..

1st view.. Its disgraceful!! Myself once being a christian know were aloud to wear crosses, were aloud to walk around practicly naked if we wanted to.. we can say what we want in the streets... But now islam isnt aloud to do the decen thing and cover our bodies, and were now not aloudto show we are muslims?! It is our sisters decision wether to wear the veil, theres and no1 elses!!

2nd view.. as i said please do not judge me upon this.. It mentioned that eye to eye contact is esential between pupils and teachers.. this is true.. Also there is the security issue.. Criminials have been know to wear the Veil and escape from scenes of crime doing so..

I am not supporting nor arguing against this case

its a hard truth that now a days to practise islam in europe really hard.

so we have to sacrifice our self which one we want?

i also agree with brothers 2nd point.

with hijab may be they dont have a lot of problem but with niqab they habe some problem.
so may be its a test for those sisters who wear niqab.

the sisters have to take decision at this point what they want.

if a woman teacher who teachs under girls then she is allowed not to wear niqab.
but not if there are also boys.

its really a tough test for those sisters.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
its a hard truth that now a days to practise islam in europe really hard.

so we have to sacrifice our self which one we want?

i also agree with brothers 2nd point.

with hijab may be they dont have a lot of problem but with niqab they habe some problem.
so may be its a test for those sisters who wear niqab.

the sisters have to take decision at this point what they want.

if a woman teacher who teachs under girls then she is allowed not to wear niqab.
but not if there are also boys.

its really a tough test for those sisters.

If there come a half naked student in the same class then I am sure they will not object. Nobody will say that his attention is distracted by the nakedness of that student. But people object that they cant see the face of the Muslim girl no matter they talk to her or not. Just they are curious to see what is hidden.

Wassalaam,
VE

umm hussain

I have never heard of a criminal wearing a veil and holding people up at gunpoint for example lol.... I have heard about criminals with ski masks or those hats that leave holes for the eyes or even stockings but definitely not niqab. If they are claiming there are now veiled bandits I would just conclude this is their attempt to put a bad name to niqab before they finally ban it so as to get the full support of the people. There is a saying that goes something like 'give a dog a bad name and then kill it.' and this is basically what they are trying to do.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
I have never heard of a criminal wearing a veil and holding people up at gunpoint for example lol.... I have heard about criminals with ski masks or those hats that leave holes for the eyes or even stockings but definitely not niqab. If they are claiming there are now veiled bandits I would just conclude this is their attempt to put a bad name to niqab before they finally ban it so as to get the full support of the people. There is a saying that goes something like 'give a dog a bad name and then kill it.' and this is basically what they are trying to do.

Agreed,

First thing is that, they should implement the capital punishment and shariah and then bandits will also be reduced to none.

Second, a student sitting in the class is being suspecious that he might be a bandit? hehe that is funny reason. Maybe a male person running in the street in the night might be a bandit but not a Muslim woman who is attending school. No robbers and dacoits go attend school to get degree. (or maybe robbers go attend the class of Dick chainy and Anaconda Rice :D).

Wasslaam,
VE

carpy321

i no this is an EXTREME example but just imagine this... a studen in the class and her family are extremist and terrorists, they could easily place themselves in there daughters place...
Also i think most people dont like the fact there not allowd to see our sisters faces " you always want what you cannot have" its human nature!

:salam2: I am a hijabin. And i dont see anything wrong with removing the veil in the class. Maybe the reason given might not be correct "security". But i can understand the fact that teachers have to see the face of the student they are teaching. And anyway naqab is sunnah and not fard.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

There are always two sides to an issue. Simply challenge the school system to provide education for the taxpaying Muslim girls in an appropriate setting, single sex school, to be funded by the government, fully functional with every opportunity afforded to the female students...fully accredited...have a total boycott until they submit to logic and come to their senses.
I am begining to think that many non-Muslims do believe in the Arabian Nights and feel that scarves will magically transform these girls into saber carrying ninja's. Please tell me I am wrong.

i no this is an EXTREME example but just imagine this... a studen in the class and her family are extremist and terrorists, they could easily place themselves in there daughters place...
Also i think most people dont like the fact there not allowd to see our sisters faces " you always want what you cannot have" its human nature!

Extremist and terrorist? could you please define those for me. In todays world events, those terms are relative and subjective. The word "terrorist" wasn't even in the minds of people until 9/11 and what the media defines are completly untrue. That word is used to brainwash and defame Muslims and Islam. Those are freedom fighters who are defending themselves and their families. Sure, I think it's haram (against Islam) to blow yourself up, but do we really have the inside scoop if he really "blew" himself up. You only hear a few corruption about the US and other soldiers, you know deep inside your heart that we only see a small portion, I hope you agree. I would suggest you visit Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan, just to really see the life there. I'm an extremist and proud of it.

Give me one example or incident, about a Muslim brother who "easily placed themselves in there daughters place." That's absurd. Islam does NOT teach blowing yourselves or being a terrorist.

I don't think it's human nature. Some people only know what they've been taught, but whatever they've been taught is not from the Creator (Allah), so hence, they behave and know from whatever they've learned growing up.

Seek Allah's help with patient perseverance and prayer. It is indeed hard except for those who are humble. (2:45)

carpy321

"Those are freedom fighters who are defending themselves and their families. Sure, I think it's haram (against Islam) to blow yourself up, but do we really have the inside scoop if he really "blew" himself up" you said...

he flew a plane into a building... would u call that taking care of yourself... Also 9/11 was a completely unprovoked attack, it was this that lit the fuse for us to go into iraq in the firstplace... and i know islam doesnt teach pple to blow themselves up :)

All i was simply stating was both sides of the argument!

"Those are freedom fighters who are defending themselves and their families. Sure, I think it's haram (against Islam) to blow yourself up, but do we really have the inside scoop if he really "blew" himself up" you said...

he flew a plane into a building... would u call that taking care of yourself... Also 9/11 was a completely unprovoked attack, it was this that lit the fuse for us to go into iraq in the firstplace... and i know islam doesnt teach pple to blow themselves up :)

All i was simply stating was both sides of the argument!

I really don't know who flew the plane into the building. They say it was Muslims, and if it was then Allah will hold them accountable for their actions. I put my faith and trust into Allah, because He truly knows who did it. Although the blame is on the Muslims, maybe it's a test for the believers and for the best that has yet to come. Everything happens for a reason. Things never go as planned. Allah has said, “They plot & plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah”

I understand you are trying to present both sides, but I don't agree with their views. It's almost like profiling Muslims. It's totally mindless to say Muslim women should not cover b/c fear of them being terrorists, extremists, whatever.

"Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe," without being put to the test?" We have tested those before them, for Allah must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars"

sugarbb

No reason to ban hijab in schools.

It is obvious isn't it, that some people (the disbelievers) are going all out to make it difficult for the muslim women/girls. Will a headscarf interfere with their conducting lessons in schools ? Will some girls wearing headscarves make others become stupid ? For Godsake, it is just a piece of cloth.
Or are they just feeling threatened by the increasing number of muslims in their community ? Are muslims a threat to them ? In what way ? Personally i don't see any reason behind the banning of hijab in schools. It is mere excuse to show hatred towards Islam in general. It is ashame.

Paki Idol

Defender of Islam
:salam2:
Banning veils is only a way to hurt the feelings of Muslims.The Government may want Muslims to adopt the lifestyle of Non Muslims...u know... those clothes covering half the body and the remaining half is naked... I guess, these aren't clothes!!

AllpraisetoAllah

The most sisters who wear the face veil in schools leave their eyes open, they don't wear the double layer niqaabs in school so.. there's still eye contact.
I think it's just a test for the sisters who wear the face veil,I hope they will be steadfast in wearing the face veil eventhough it means stopping their education. I know a sister who was in her last year of college and she started wearing the face veil and they gave her the option to remove the faceveil or quiting her education, she said she saw the face veil as obligatory so she quited her education. And alhamdulilaah she didn't regret her decision Allah made her even stronger in her Imaan.

AllpraisetoAllah

The most sisters who wear the face veil in schools leave their eyes open, they don't wear the double layer niqaabs in school so.. there's still eye contact.
I think it's just a test for the sisters who wear the face veil,I hope they will be steadfast in wearing the face veil eventhough it means stopping their education. I know a sister who was in her last year of college and she started wearing the face veil and they gave her the option to remove the faceveil or quiting her education, she said she saw the face veil as obligatory so she quited her education. And alhamdulilaah she didn't regret her decision Allah made her even stronger in her Imaan. I also got fired once for wearing the veil ,they gave me the option to remove it and putting it on when I leave the building or leaving the job. I chose for the last, I mean education/work is just for this dunya and wearing the veil you will get closer to Allah and you will get your reward in this world and hereafter. And I know more sisters who been through tests like this. Allah mentioned in his quran every believer will be tested.So alhamdulilaah

:wasalam:

justmuslim1986

new ban on the veil

Dear sister,

I agree with you 100% and even though I haven't reached that point in my life where I wear the full veil, inshaallah one day I will, I still think it is a basic human right that is being denied to us muslim women. These bans that are beginning to be implemented in western socities make mockery of the so called united nations human rights bill. I believe that it is a sign of the the increasing intolerence of religion by the secularists in the governments around Europe and an agenda by the those same secularists who use the the so called threat of terrorism to pursue their own twisted logic of athesim.
I think that that athesim is the biggest threat for ordinary practising people from all religions not just Islam.

I pray that Allah guides the muslim ummah and only He can guide us and dear sisiter I pray that Allah makes things get easier for you with the veil.