Underground Egypt-Gaza tunnel dubbed 'wall of death'

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
BRENDAN TREMBATH: There are mounting tensions on the border between Egypt and Gaza over plans by Egypt to cut off the tunnels Palestinians use to circumvent a strict Israeli blockade.

Egypt has begun building a formidable underground wall to block the tunnels once and for all.

A week ago the project sparked violent protests along the border which left one Egyptian dead and several Palestinians injured.

Now Hamas leaders are demanding Egypt stop construction of what they call the "wall of death".

Middle East correspondent Anne Barker reports from Gaza.

(Sound of machinery)

ANNE BARKER: I'm looking over the edge into a deep hole in the ground. Below me is a sheer 10 metre drop through a wooden shaft to a tunnel.

Suddenly a man is winched up on a hook and after him sacks of food products and new clothing.

This is the entrance to one of hundreds of underground tunnels between Gaza and Egypt used to smuggle everything from food and medicines to household goods, vehicles, even livestock.

But Israel says they're used to bring in weapons and it regularly bombs the area to stop smuggling and enforce the blockade it imposed on Gaza to punish its Hamas rulers.

The tunnels too are dangerous. Dozens of Palestinians have died here. But tunnel workers say there are no other jobs.

(Sound of Abu Omar speaking)

"At least 40 families rely on this tunnel," says Abu Omar, its owner. "There is no other work."

But now Egypt is set to cut off Gaza's main link to the outside world by building an underground wall to block the tunnels once and for all.

Across the border fence 200 metres away a row of huge machines are drilling into the earth, ramming thick sheets of steel into the ground 10 even 20 metres deep.

Seventeen-year-old Mohammed Ijhash works in the tunnels to support his family.

(Sound of Mohammed Ijhash speaking)

"Everything we eat, everything we have comes from the tunnels," he says. "If the tunnels stop, we'll die. There's not enough food without them."

The Israeli blockade stops everything but the most essential humanitarian supplies from entering Gaza as a means of punishing Hamas.

But in shops near the Egyptian border there's no shortage of luxury foods like chocolate and cheese, all courtesy of the underground tunnels.

Electronic shops too sell the latest in whitegoods and plasma TVs.

But if the Egyptian wall succeeds Gaza will lose its last commercial lifeline and become virtually dependent on humanitarian aid.

Some reports suggest Egypt is acting under pressure from Israel or even the US, although Egypt has its own motives for cutting supplies to Gaza and punishing Hamas.

Palestinians fear Egyptian authorities are even planning to fill the tunnels with water.

But Abu Omar believes that tunnel owners like him will always find a solution.

(Sound of Abu Omar speaking)

"If we can we'll cut through the steel wall underground," he says. "Or if we need to we'll just dig a deeper tunnel to go under it."

Humanitarian groups say the only long term solution is for Israel and Egypt to end their respective blockades.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I can't believe so much tyranny can happen, and the world just turns a blind eye to it. What is wrong with Egypt though?? How long will everyone remain scared and oppressed by Israel and US?

Jamilnew

This makes me sick

Too think I once felt Proud of my country an thought the US was the good guys.
...........looking back I think I must have been on Crack!

May Allah make it easy...... These are the ones going through the Real test not us.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
And still, in Gaza people held fundraisers and have sent money and clothes to people in Haiti!! They are victims themselves. What does all this say about us? We're so horrible...