Understanding the Quran

English

Salam everyone.

I have a question, how long did it take for those of you who have read the Quran to understand it?

I have nearly finished Surah Al-Baqarah and although I am reading the words it is hard for it to be absorbed and I feel bad for not understanding much. :(

From what I can remember, it is Allah addressing Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the best way I can describe what I think I've understood is it is like commandments of Islam but in verses. There was also a cow sacrificed to Allah. I can remember nearer the end of Al-Baqarah it talks about marriage and things you should do. I feel bad for not being able to understand or remember much but I am trying hard to make sense of everything I am reading.

Did any of you guys have this problem when you first read the Quran?

:shymuslima1::)

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:wasalam:

Interestingly brother,I too ead surah Baqarah and that too everyday(because someone told me to read it everyday for some reasons).
I would advice you to read a tafseer of this chapter,preferentially by Hazrat Ibn Kathir(ra) >> http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3137

The following is what I felt on reading Surah Al Baqarah.

Alhamdulillah it gives me great joy when I read it,it's like almost talking to my heart.
I love how the verses proceed from describing how this book is a guidance for those who are concsious of Allah,then goes on to describe 3 types of people,1)The believers 2) The disbelievers 3) The hypocrites and what will be their destiny in the hereafter.Thus it starts with glad tidings for believers and severe warnings for disbelievers and hypocrites.

It gives rhetorical proofs for and against them.Then it talks about how and who the people are misguided by a verse,for example it says therein that Allah is not ashamed to present the example of a mosquito ::Indeed, Allah is not timid to present an example - that of a mosquito or what is smaller than it. And those who have believed know that it is the truth from their Lord. But as for those who disbelieve, they say, "What did Allah intend by this as an example?" He misleads many thereby and guides many thereby. And He misleads not except the defiantly disobedient,Surat Al-Baqarah [2:26]
Then it talks about creation of Adam and questioning of angels to Allah,why He created one who will create mischief and spread bloodshed on Earth and Allah replies,I know that which you know not.The wholse story of how Allah taught Adam the name of all things and asked angel to inform Allah their names and angels humbly accept that they know only that which they are taught.Then Allah asks angels to prostrate to Adam,all of them comply,except bless(satan),because he was arrogant and hence became disbeliever.Then how Allah asked Adam and his wife(Eve) to dwell in Eden in tranquility but not to approach a tree which He forbade,but shaytaan mislead them and they were told to get down from heaven,enemies to one another.Adam repented and his repentance was accepted.Through these type oif stories we are taught how a believer who believes,is humble and repentant and how a disbeliever is arrogant.
Then there is reminder for those who were given scripture before and proof for them.How Allah blessed them and preferred them over mankind(Bani Israel),how they were asked to follow the commands and not spread mischief on Earth and be obidient and humble,but they forgot the lesson and disobeyed and became arrogant,so it reminds them about what blessings were bestowed on them,perhaps they might take heed.In fact this has been repeated thrice if you might have noticed in surah baqarah,twice the two sentences are exactly same.Through this Allah is not only sending a reminder for Bani Israil,but also for ummah of today,for it is disobeying openly and has forgot hat mercy of Islam they were bestowed and how powerful they became for example in andalus.So it is not only a reminder for people of scripture but a reminder for muslim ummah today and it's prophetic in it's essence.
It teaches us what to do in adverse situations,when we are faced with difficulties:O you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with the patient.[2:253]

Then it talks about Hazrat Musa(alyhissalaam)[Moses] and how his community were dealt with a reminder for them for us.Similarly,it talks about Hazrat 'Esa(alyhissalaam)[Jesus],how he is a human and was sent with signs and with clear proofs,to remind christians to come back to their creator and not worship any other God's besides the One and Only God,Allah.Also a sign for believers and a lesson therein.
Then it talks about striving in the path of Allah,and how fitnah(trials) are worst than killing.It taells us how to be just and to fight oppression and strive in the cause of Allah.Of Qisas laws(legal retribution laws) and how it helps us in becoming righteousas it says in surat al baqarah[2:179]And there is for you in legal retribution [saving of] life, O you [people] of understanding, that you may become righteous.
It contains laws of inheritance,of marriage ,of divorce,of eating what is lawful and forbids usury and how the one who takes usury,there is a declaration of war from Allah and His messenger against them.These are laws revealed so that right may be clear from wrong and we might not be confused when faced with such a situation in real life.SubhanAllah,that is the beauty of Qur'an,it clears the matters for believers,of how to act in certain situation.

Then it contains,the incident of the war between Jalut(Goliath) and his army against the believers headed bu Talut(alyhissala)[Saul] and how Hazrat Dawood[David](alyhissalam) slayed Jalut(Goliath),in this is a lesson for believers,that sight does not matter ,often a small army defeats a large army.If Allah is with us,nothing can harm us or over power us and Allah is with the patient and a prayer said by the believers therein when faced with such a situation.As it says in surat al baqarah[2:249-250]And when Saul went forth with the soldiers, he said, "Indeed, Allah will be testing you with a river. So whoever drinks from it is not of me, and whoever does not taste it is indeed of me, excepting one who takes [from it] in the hollow of his hand." But they drank from it, except a [very] few of them. Then when he had crossed it along with those who believed with him, they said, "There is no power for us today against Goliath and his soldiers." But those who were certain that they would meet Allah said, "How many a small company has overcome a large company by permission of Allah . And Allah is with the patient."
And when they went forth to [face] Goliath and his soldiers, they said, "Our Lord, pour upon us patience and plant firmly our feet and give us victory over the disbelieving people."

Then it talsk about desciription of Allah,His Glory and Might in the famous ayatul kursi(The verse of kursi0[Kursi can be said to be small chair or a foot stool]

Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.Surat Al Baqarah[2:255]

Then it talks about Allah and His dominion and our stature before Him and how He will call us to account for our deeds.

In the end it tells us how the messenger :saw: have believed in what has been revealed from His Lord and so have the believers,in His,Angels,His Books,His Messengers,and how they make no distinction between any of His messengers and how they respond to a call by saying "We hear and we obey" and know their final destination.Let me quote that verse for you,inshaAllah::

The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying], "We make no distinction between any of His messengers." And they say, "We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination."[2:285]
In this verse we can see how the true believers who follow the messengers believe and what they believe in and how they act when they are asked to act,promptly saying "We hear and we obey"Beautiful!A lesson for every believer to follow this example.

The chapter ends with beautiful prayers which I will quote now,inshaAllah:

Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people."[2:286]

Dear brother,dont feel bad,if you didn't understand The Qur'an the first time you read it.It's because it's unline any other book in this world,it does not have a genre and is unique in itself,it's a revelation from Allah.A communication to mankind revealed to Muhammad :saw: via Angel Jibra'eel(Gabriel).It is a book of guidance,of clear signs,a criterion to judge right from wrong,a mercy and healing for the believers,bearer of glad tidings and severe warnings.It is unique on it's on.

The Holy Qur’aan

What is the Qur’aan?

Praise be to Allaah.

The Qur’aan is the word of the Lord of the Worlds, which Allaah revealed to His Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), to bring mankind forth from darkness into light:

“It is He Who sends down manifest Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) to His slave (Muhammad) that He may bring you out from darkness into light

[al-Hadeed 57:9 – interpretation of the meaning]

Allaah has told us in the Qur’aan the stories of the earlier and later generations and the creation of the heavens and the earth. He has explained in detail what is halaal and what is haraam, the basics of good manners and morals, the rulings of worship and dealings with others, the lives of the Prophets and the righteous, and the reward and punishment of the believers and disbelievers. He has described Paradise, the abode of the believers, and He has described Hell, the abode of the disbelievers. He has made it (the Qur’aan) an explanation of all things:

“And We have sent down to you the Book (the Qur’aan) as an exposition of everything, a guidance, a mercy, and glad tidings for those who have submitted themselves (to Allaah as Muslims)”

[al-Nahl 16:89 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Qur’aan explains the names and attributes of Allaah and what He has created. It calls us to believe in Allaah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers and the Last Day:

“The Messenger (Muhammad) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. (They say,) ‘We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers’ — and they say, ‘We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)’”

[al-Baqarah 2:285 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Qur’aan describes the Day of Judgement and what will happen after death – the resurrection, the gathering, the judgement and being brought to account. It describes the Cistern, the Siraat (bridge over Hell), the Balance [in which deeds will be weighed], the blessings and torment, and the gathering of mankind on that great Day:

“Allaah! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). Surely, He will gather you together on the Day of Resurrection about which there is no doubt. And who is truer in statement than Allaah?

[al-Nisaa’ 4:87 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Qur’aan calls us to examine and ponder the signs of Allaah in the universe and the verses of the Qur’aan:

“Say: ‘Behold all that is in the heavens and the earth’”

[Yoonus 10:101 – interpretation of the meaning]

“Do they not then think deeply in the Qur’aan, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)?”

[Muhammad 47:24 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Qur’aan is the Book of Allaah for all of mankind:

“Verily, We have sent down to you (O Muhammad) the Book (this Qur’aan) for mankind in truth. So whosoever accepts the guidance, it is only for his ownself; and whosoever goes astray, he goes astray only for his (own) loss. And you (O Muhammad) are not a Wakeel (trustee or disposer of affairs, or guardian) over them”[al-Zumar 39:41 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Qur’aan confirms the Books which came before it, the Tawraat (Torah) and Injeel (Gospel), and it is a witness over them, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We have sent down to you (O Muhammad) the Book (this Qur’aan) in truth, confirming the Scripture that came before it and Muhaymin (trustworthy in highness and a witness) over it (old Scriptures)”[al-Maa'idah 5:48]

After the Qur’aan was revealed, it became the Book for all of mankind until the Hour begins. Whoever does not believe in it is a kaafir who will be punished with torment on the Day of Resurrection, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“But those who reject Our Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), the torment will touch them for their disbelief (and for their belying the Message of Muhammad)”[al-An’aam 6:49]

Because of the greatness of the Qur’aan and the signs, miracles, parables and lessons contained therein, in addition to its eloquence and beautiful style, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Had We sent down this Qur’aan on a mountain, you would surely have seen it humbling itself and rent asunder by the fear of Allaah. Such are the parables which We put forward to mankind that they may reflect”[al-Hashr 58:21]

Allaah has challenged mankind and the jinn to produce something like it, even one soorah or one aayah, but they could not do that and will never be able to do that, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘If the mankind and the jinn were together to produce the like of this Qur’aan, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another’”[al-Israa’ 17:88]

Because the Qur’aan is the greatest of the heavenly Books, the most complete, the most perfect and the last of them, Allaah commanded His Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to convey it to all of mankind, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Messenger (Muhammad)! Proclaim (the Message) which has been sent down to you from your Lord. And if you do not, then you have not conveyed His Message. Allaah will protect you from mankind” [al-Maa'idah 5:67]

Because of the importance of this book and the ummah’s need for it, Allaah has honoured us with it. He sent it down to us and has guaranteed to preserve it. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur’aan) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption)” [al-Hijr 15:9]

From Usool al-Deen al-Islami by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Tuwayjri

Also the following link would be very helpful inshaAllah:
http://theinimitablequran.com

I once wrote an article on Qur'an and how it proves Allah's existence,maybe you'd find that helpful as well,inshaAllah>> http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79590

Read this invocation ,it will also be helpful inshaAllah: rabbizidnee 'ilma ["My Lord, increase me in knowledge."]

May Allah help you ang guide you.Ameen