Unrevised, Original Translations.

Inquirer

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm looking around for as many unrevised, original translations of the Quran as possible, and I'm not finding this the easiest task. Publishers are always revising texts into modern English, or are changing words here and there as they see fit, but I'm wanting translated versions only as the translator intended, fully, and in every way.

I'm actually quite fond of all the 'thee' and 'thou', as I don't really want to read sacred texts in the same language in which I would read the daily newspaper. :p

At the moment I am using two translations, the most popular ones, by Pickthall and Yusuf Ali, and reading many other translations from the internet, although I am quite bugged to notice certain differences between the book versions that I have, and the information related on online sources.

For example, it seems that in Yusuf Ali's original translation, from online sources, it appears he uses the word 'God'. It seems that the publishers of my version of this text, 'Goodwood', have changed the word 'God' for 'Allah', which of course doesn't make any difference, other than that it does cause me to wonder if and where the liberty has been taken to alter other words from Yusuf Ali's intention.

In the Pickthall translation I have, I have noticed the alteration of certain words, which is frustrating because it means that I feel inclined to cross examine everything I read in order to check for alterations. For example:

6:112 - Thus have We appointed unto every prophet an adversary - devils of humankind and jinn who inspire in one another plausible discourse through guile...

The publishers have changed the word 'guile' for 'cunning',which of course both mean pretty much the same thing, but the nuances of difference in meaning still count, and I'm just not comfortable with it.

I am also wondering if anyone could give me any clarification upon what is meant when a book is called an 'authorised' English edition. What exactly does 'authorised' mean in this respect? Does it mean that the translation is original, as it was translated by the author? Who does the authorising in such a case?

If a translation makes no mention of being 'revised', or 'authorised', does this guarantee that the translation remains, word for word, as it was translated by the author at first publication? I am presuming here that if a publisher alters the original text of a book in any way, they would be legally obliged to make this clear.

What's your favourite translation, and why?

I wonder, is anyone else bugged by the modernisation or revising of translated texts?

Peace.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Let me begin by reminding myself and others, that there is no complete translation of the Qur'aan in any language at that, since it is but in `Arabic. Every "translation" is more correctly termed as a translation of the meanings of the Qur'aan; hence you will find discreprancies. Alhamdulillaah, I know more people fond of the modernisations than the archaic attempts at rendering the Qur'aan into English. This is simply because, the language feels outdated to them, or there scope of English doesn't allow them to fully comprehend the ayaat (verses).

Whatever suits you I guess, there's no need to get bugged about the differences, as its natural and everyone has their own preference. I personally use the Saheeh Inernational and Shaykh Taqee ud-Deen Hilaali's translations. Why? Not only because I will understand them better, but they are both concerend with portraying the correct Islamic `aqeedah trrough their texts, as oppose to the Yusuf Ali and Pickthall translations. In addition, if I'm going to quote the translation an ayah of the Qur'aan in the form of da`wah (calling/preaching), naseehah (advising), then I'm certain that the modern wording would be more appropriate in about 95% of cases lol.

Finally, there is no authorised or original translation. The Qur'aan is in `Arabic, that is the original. Anything other than that is not authorised or original.

Was-salaam

AbuHarris

Brother
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm looking around for as many unrevised, original translations of the Quran as possible, and I'm not finding this the easiest task. Publishers are always revising texts into modern English, or are changing words here and there as they see fit, but I'm wanting translated versions only as the translator intended, fully, and in every way.

I'm actually quite fond of all the 'thee' and 'thou', as I don't really want to read sacred texts in the same language in which I would read the daily newspaper. :p
[...]
Peace.
wa-ʿalaykumu s-salām wa-raḥmatu llāh

To get some idea of what already exists in translation, and the the date of publication, I suggest you look at:
World Bibliography of Translations of the Meanings of the Holy Qur'an: Printed Translations, 1515-1980. Compiled by Ismet Binark and Halit Eren; Edited By Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu. Istanbul: The Research Center for Islamic History, Art And Culture, 1406/1986.

It is a comprehensive list of printed translations, both by Muslims and non-Muslims, from 1515 to 1980. It covers sixty-five European, Oriental, and African languages, and lists 551 complete and 883 partial translations.

If you are fond of all the 'thee' and 'thou', you will love to read Muhammad Asad's translation: The Message of the Qurʾan. Gibraltar/London: Dar al-Andalus,1980.

There is what is called 'the first American version' which you may want to look at: T.B. Irving (al-Hajj Taʻlim ʻAli). The Qurʾan: the first American version. Brattleboro, Vt.: Amana Books,1985.

There have been quite a few recent ones. You will find a review of these two translations:
Majid Fakhry. An Interpretation of the Qur'an: English Translation of the Meanings. New York, 2002.

M. A. S. Abdel Haleem. The Qur'an: A New Translation. Oxford, 2004.

at: http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=231841109092997

The one by Abdel Haleem is worth mentioning. It reads very well.
There have been a couple of others since 2004.

HTH
wa-s-salām