Uthman Barry

qsep

Shaikh Uthman Barry (rahimahullah), another of the "old guard" callers to Islam passed away

by Sajid Kayum on Friday, 10 September 2010 at 18:07

It is with much grief and profound sadness that I write a few words on the passing away of Shaikh Uthman Barry (rahimahullah).

Born in an Irish Catholic household, Shaikh Uthman embraced Islam later on in life, and had been active in the field of dawah since the 1980s, and has many achievements to his credit especially in Dubai and the UAE.

I first met him, during my visit to Dubai in 1993 or so; and took an immediately liking for him because of his simplicity, good nature, his warm typical smile, and most importantly his gheerah (protectiveness) for the way of the salaf. From then on I met him on many occasions, sometimes at lectures and others at the Islamic center in Shaikh Hamdaan Colony, and once I had the good fortune of accompanying him to the Philippines embassy, where he gave a lecture to members of the Pilipino community, and two sisters accepted Islam.

He was amongst those people, after meeting whom, you just felt happy and charged towards dawah. I never had any intensive learning discussions with him, but the simple things he said and gheerah he showed for the salafi dawah - had a profound and positive impact on me, at a stage when I was very new to the dawah - confused and clueless about so much.

Soft-spoken, natural and good-humored, his lectures were always interesting; while at the same time he was firm against innovations, especially soofi superstitions, the excesses of the rafidah and modernist heresies (secularism, Darwinism, imitation of the west, hadeeth-rejection, etc.) that assault Muslims.

In 2003, I met Shaikh Uthman along with brother Abdul Majeed Alee Hassan in Ajman, where I gave him a copy of my book, "The JAMAAT TABLEEGH and the Deobandis - A critical Analysis of their Beliefs, Books and Dawah". He was very pleased to receive it, and said he heard it was tough on Tableeghis – while making boxing gestures with his fists. He always showed gheerah for the Sunnah and disdain at what opposed it; May Allah reward him.

Having gheerah for the deen is indeed a great worship, extremely pleasing to Allah; and so is al-Walaa and al-Baraa (allegiance and disassociation) for the sake of Allah.

With the passing away of Shaikh Uthman Barry, we lost another of the "old guard" daees – those for whom dawah was a passion and a call of the heart, rather than a career. And this reflected brilliantly in his talks and mannerisms.

A far cry, from what we unfortunately witness from many of our young duaat today, who are more of entertainers and politicians than educators.

Their artificial and staged attempts at appealing to the hearts, are no match for the attachment and closeness you felt naturally with the "old guard" because of their sincere straight-forward talk; and the affinity which results from love that Allah puts in your heart towards those who teach and defend His Deen.

The "old guard" enriched us with their wisdom and forbearance while the newcomers with their bookish knowledge and 'technicalities' either exaggerate matters (like, throwing everyone out of salafiyah, spreading suspicion about and belittling the efforts of the duaat) or propagate undue lenience (like belittling our differences with soofis, asharis and modernists) - resulting in confusion and division.

Finally, our hearts are saddened and our eyes shed tears, but we say only that which is pleasing to Allah and are content with His Decree. We ask Allah to bestow the shaikh's family with sabr.

We find solace in what was mentioned in Bukhari and Muslim, that: "A funeral procession passed by and the people praised the deceased. The Prophet (sallallahu alaihe wasallam), exclaimed, 'It is decided.' Then another funeral procession passed by and the people said some bad things about the deceased. The Prophet (sallallahu alaihe wasallam) remarked, 'It is decided.'

'Umar asked: 'What is decided?'

The Prophet, peace be upon him, answered, 'The one whom you praised is entitled to Paradise, and the one whom you described as bad is entitled to the Hell Fire. You are Allah's witnesses on earth'."

And so we call upon Allah …

O Allah! Forgive him, have mercy on him, pardon him, heal him, be generous to him, cause his entrance to be wide and comfortable, wash him with the most pure and clean water, and purify him from sins as a white garment is washed clean of dirt. Give him in exchange a home better than his home (on earth) and a family better than his family, and a wife better than his wife, and protect him from the trial of the grave and the torture of Hell Fire'

Oh Allah ! You are his Sustainer, You are his Creator, You provided him with sustenance, guided him to Islam, caused him to die, and You best know his secret and public life. We plead to You on his behalf to forgive his sins.

To my brothers and sisters, I hope you benefit from the lectures Shaikh Uthman Barry has left behind, some of which are listed below.

-sajid a kayum

qsep(dot)com