Verses 3:199 & 2:62

Jibran

Does this mean there are those amoung the christians and the jews that will see heaven?

And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), those who believe in God and in that which has been revealed to you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before God. They do not sell the Verses of God for a little price, for them is a reward with their Lord. Surely, God is Swift in account. '(3:199)' Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve . 2:62

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
Thank you for bringing this verse to my attention! I can now finally whip out Qur'an verse and claim that Islam doesn't say that all non-belivers are automatically damned to Hell!

Anyways, it is Allah's Heaven, right? He can let anyone He wants get in, or stay out. Allah loves those who are monotheistic and do good deeds, so of course He'll let them in if they are good enough. Will the amount of good deeds have to be higher for a non-Muslim than it is for a Muslim? That's up to Allah.

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

okie dokie now ya'll...

depends on what you call christians and jews doesn't it?

Isa alayhis salaam was a Muslim, so was Musa alayhis salaam, so therefore, their true followers would be Muslims as well, weither or not they called themselves that by name.

Also if you are ignorant of Islam, THEN do you get a shot at PARADISE. Of the people of the past there were pagans, and Christians and Jews, who had never heard of Islam, who didn't know who Muhammad sallalahu alayhi wassalam was, they get a test to see if they go to Paradise. This is as far as i know.

Someone who knew about Islam, studied Islam and then rejected it... and stuck to there own religion, this doesn't apply. Shows the importance of Dawa on our part, and the encouragement to find out and learn on everyone.

Wassalam.

haris

Patience
Aslam O alikum

This question about the cristians entering jannah was asked to Dr Zakir naik during a lecture and I will write the answer that he gave.

The cristians before Islam will enter jannah if they are among those who did not commited shirk. As far as the cristians (after Islam) are concerned if they want Allah(SWT) to show them the right path i.e. away from shirk and they strive for the truth then they will InshaAllah find the right path of islam and will InshaAllah enter jannah but not as cristians but as Muslims.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

that verse is about the Christians and Jews before the Prophet :saw: message was revealed to all mankind.

wasalam

Jibran

Salam.

What if those christian did not state jesus was god anymore? Would they be admitted into jannah?

I have a verse to show you converning this in chapter 3 i believe [or 5]

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Salam.

What if those christian did not state jesus was god anymore? Would they be admitted into jannah?

Then they wouldn't be Christian. I was a Christian, and one of the major (major as in if you don't believe it, you're not a Christian) beliefs is the Trinity.

Jibran

Then they wouldn't be Christian. I was a Christian, and one of the major (major as in if you don't believe it, you're not a Christian) beliefs is the Trinity.

Salam.

[5:73] Pagans indeed are those who say that GOD is a third of a trinity. There is no god except the one god. Unless they refrain from saying this, those who disbelieve among them will incur a painful retribution.

I see, according to this verse, if you refrain from believing in the trinity you won't incur this retribution?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
That's only in Catholicism. Protestants and Lutherans don't believe in the Trinity.

Protestants believe in the Trinity, also. So do Lutherans. I think Matt Slick (owner of the CARM website) is a Lutheran, and he stresses the Trinity a lot.

The Nicean Creed, Apostle's Creed, etc. all state a Trinity and are accepted by Protestants.

OnlyOne

Protestants believe in the Trinity, also. So do Lutherans. I think Matt Slick (owner of the CARM website) is a Lutheran, and he stresses the Trinity a lot.

The Nicean Creed, Apostle's Creed, etc. all state a Trinity and are accepted by Protestants.

None-the-less, I have many freinds who are Christians who strictly oppose the idea of the Trinity. There are many Christians who don't believe in that, and I've met them myself. So, in this way I can say that all Christians don't succomb to that idea, although the majority may, there are many who don't.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Salam.

[5:73] Pagans indeed are those who say that GOD is a third of a trinity. There is no god except the one god. Unless they refrain from saying this, those who disbelieve among them will incur a painful retribution.

I see, according to this verse, if you refrain from believing in the trinity you won't incur this retribution?

:wasalam:
It's all up to Allah. But remember that Allah hates it when people are polytheistic, and He will punish them (as the Qur'an states a lot).

I think that verse really means: "If you're a polytheist, you are disliked a LOT in the eyes of Allah, if you are a monotheist, you have a chance of pleasing Allah (so capitalize on it)". Dunno where Atheists would fit in. If the Atheist does enough good deeds, maybe Allah will let him/her in Heaven, maybe not.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
None-the-less, I have many freinds who are Christians who strictly oppose the idea of the Trinity. There are many Christians who don't believe in that, and I've met them myself. So, in this way I can say that all Christians don't succomb to that idea, although the majority may, there are many who don't.

Which is a very good thing since they're not commiting polytheism. So many churches say that if you don't accept the Trinity, you're not a Christian. And they have the Nicean Creed/Apostle's Creed to prove it (they both state (something along the lines of) there being 3 members in the Godhead, the father (who basically has no name), the son (Jesus (pbuh)), and the Holy Spirit (has no name and they are all one)).

However, it is a pretty stupid doctrine since the Bible doesn't support it at all.

Tahar

I think Allah said somewhere in the holy Quran that he can forgive us anything except the sin of joining other gods or deities with him. Anything can be forgiven, except that. That's why the concept of "tawheed" the oneness of God is fundamental in Islam.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is a very good thing since they're not commiting polytheism. So many churches say that if you don't accept the Trinity, you're not a Christian. And they have the Nicean Creed/Apostle's Creed to prove it (they both state (something along the lines of) there being 3 members in the Godhead, the father (who basically has no name), the son (Jesus (pbuh)), and the Holy Spirit (has no name and they are all one)).

However, it is a pretty stupid doctrine since the Bible doesn't support it at all.

Well there was a verse in KJV that did:

In 1 John 5:7 (King James Version) we find:
"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one. (John 5:7)"
This verse is the closest approximation to what the Church calls the holy Trinity. However, this cornerstone of the Christian faith has been scrapped from the RSV by these thirty two Christian scholars of the highest eminence backed by fifty cooperating Christian denominations, once again all according to the "most ancient manuscripts." However, we find that the noble Qur'an (the Muslims' Holy Scripture) did not need to wait for 2000 years for these Christians to discover this fact. Indeed God revealed it to us fully fourteen hundred years ago:
O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allâh aught but the truth. The Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allâh and His Word, ("Be!" - and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rûh)[] created by Him; so believe in Allâh and His Messengers. Say not: "Three (trinity)!" Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allâh is (the only) One Ilâh (God), Glory be to Him (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allâh is AllSufficient as a Disposer of affairs. (The Noble Quran, 4:171)"

wassalaam.

searching soul

What about those who say God is three thirds of a Trinity? Three identical but functionally separate thirds, or three essentially different aspects all worthy of worship due to a common quality of Goodness which makes them in a sense, One?

Or, those who say God is a third of a trinity, but the only one worthy of worship? The other two being spiriual servants who aren't to be directly prayed to, like angels?

I need to find out more about the various Bible translations before I decide where I stand on this, but what are your responses to the above scenarios? It seems like the semantics of the word 'one' is where the trouble lies. 'One' is used to describe unbreakable relationships at other times in the Bible, e.g. husbands and wives are said to 'become one flesh'. Things in the Gospels and Revelations make Jesus sound like a bride, presumably figuratively. So this is a difference between traditional Christianity's understanding of 'one' and Islam's.

samiha

---------
Staff member

1+1+1=3 :D

1+1+1=1?
:confused:

I am not trying to make fun, but what doesn't work on paper, hows it work in relation to Allah? Astagfirullah.

Allah is one, we are all His slaves, even His mightest messengers were His slaves.

Karima

Asalamualikum,

1 tree has many leaves.....

Allah has 99 attributes...names...

The issue about limiting God/Allah to '1 ONE' is good for discussion. It does not change what or who God/Allah is.

Allah is one, we are all His slaves, even His mightest messengers were His slaves.
....how about 'servants' of God. Your post was simple and to the point....nice!

Salam

searching soul

1+1+1=3 :D

1+1+1=1? :confused:

I am not trying to make fun, but what doesn't work on paper, hows it work in relation to Allah? Astagfirullah.
Well, it's more like 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1, in most Christians' minds. I'm working on a slightly different model myself.

Some people translate the Bible's 'Son of God' as 'slave/servant of God'. I'm considering this possibility too, but I still consider myself a Christian, i.e. I believe in the Crucifiction and Resurrection, and that it paid for our sins.