Virtue of Du'a'

al-hamdulilaah

aebadat-do3aaa0001-1.jpg

Virtue of Du'a'

Du'a' is worship:

Narrated An-Nu'man ibn Bashir [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
The Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said: Supplication (du'a') is itself the worship (Al-`Ibadah ). (He then recited "And your Lord said: Invoke Me, (i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism)) (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation). (Surat Ghafir or AlMu'min(The Forgiver or The Believer):ayat (verse)60).[Transmitted by Ahmad,Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah]

Explanation:
Linguistically, `Ibadah (worship) means subdued. For instance, a road is described as Mu`abbadah, meaning, `paved'. In religious terminology, `Ibadah implies the utmost love, humility and fear (Tafsir Ibn Kathir).
Worship is a comprehensive term which includes all sayings and actions which are loved and pleased by Allah; such as invocation, Salat (prayer), humbling oneself in front of Him etc. As Allah, the All-Mighty says:
"Say (O Muhammad [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] ) :Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists)." (6:162)

Du'a'(supplication) is much honourable in Allah's sight:

Narrated AbuHurayrah [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "Nothing is more honourable in Allah's sight than supplication."
Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah transmitted it, Tirmidhi saying this is a hasan gharib tradition.

Du'a'(supplication) averts the decree:

Narrated Salman al-Farisi [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "Nothing but supplication averts the decree, and nothing but righteousness increases life."
Tirmidhi transmitted it.

Narrated Thawban [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said: "Only supplication averts the decree, only (al-Birr) kindness prolongs life, and a man is deprived of provision for a (sin) fault he commits."

Transmitted by Ibn Majah.

Explanation: Al-Birr means piety, righteousness.

Du'a'(supplication) is beneficial regarding things which have happened and things which have not happened:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "Supplication is beneficial regarding things which have happened and things which have not happened, so devote yourselves to supplication, servants of Allah."

Tirmidhi transmitted it, and Ahmad transmitted it from Mu'adh ibn Jabal. Tirmidhi said this is a gharib tradition.

To the one whom Allah wants to show His Mercy; He Grants the ability of making dua:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar[Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him] :
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "If the gate of supplication is opened for any of you, the gates of mercy will be opened for him, and Allah is not asked for anything He likes so much as to be asked for 'afiyah (security,safety)."
Tirmidhi transmitted it.

One who makes Du'a'(supplication) is not left empty handed:

Narrated Salman al-Farsi [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
The Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said: Your Lord (Rabb) is (one who has Haya) and generous (Karim), and is ashamed to turn away empty the hands of His servant when he raises them to Him. Ibn Majah

Explanation:
Rabb:There is no proper equivalent for Rabb in English language. It means the One and the Only Lord for all the universe, its Creator, Owner, Organizer, Provider, Master, Planner, Sustainer, Cherisher, and Giver of security. Rabb is also one of the names of Allah.
Haya:This term covers a large number of concepts. It may mean 'modesty', 'self-respect', bashfulness', 'honor', etc.

Importance of Du'a':

Allah is angry with those who do not ask Him

Narrated AbuHurayrah [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "Allah will be angry with those who do not make requests of Him."

Transmitted by Tirmidhi.

Du'a' Supplication is the pith of worship:

Narrated Anas ibn Malik [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:
Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said,"Supplication is the pith of worship."

Tirmidhi transmitted it.

This is the end of Virtue of Du'a' and all praise and thanks are due to Allah.

References:
1.Kitab-ud-du'a'; Muhammad Iqbal Kilani
2.Sunan of Abu Dawood
3.Tafsir Ibn Kathir
4.Tirmidhi

al-hamdulilaah

aebadat-do3aaa0033.jpg

Manners of du'a' (supplication) (1) :

1.Praising the name of Allah and praying for the Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam]:

Narrated Fadalah bin `Ubaid [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] was sitting with us (one day) that a man entered (in the masjid). He prayed Salat (prayer) and said(started supplicating): "O Allah forgive me,Have mercy on me." The Prophet, [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "O Musalli (the one who prays)! You have been hasty [in du'a'(supplication)].He said, "When any one of you have performed Salat (prayer) and wants to supplicate, praise Allah first that suits Him and then supplicate Allah for me. Then supplicate for yourself.Fadalah bin `Ubaid (May Allah be pleased with him) says another man performed Salat (prayer) and (after that) praised Allah and invoked blessings on the Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam].The Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said:"O Musalli(the one who prays), supplicate(invoke Him), your dua will be answered''[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

Fadalah bin `Ubaid (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] heard some one supplicating after his prayer without praising Allah and without supplicating Allah for the Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam]. With regard to him, the Messenger of Allah [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "This man rushed.'' Then he called him and said, "When any one of you have performed Salat (prayer) and wants to supplicate, let him praise Allah first then glorify Him in the beginning and then he should supplicate Allah for me. Then he may supplicate for whatever he likes.''[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

2.Asking Allah with firm will and seriousness:

Narrated Anas [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:Allah's Apostle [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam]said, "When anyone of you appeal(supplicate) to Allah for something, he should ask with determination and should not say, 'O Allah, if You wish, give me,' for nobody can force Allah to do something against His Will." Reported by Sahih Bukhari.

3. The consciousness of one's heart

Narrated AbuHurayrah [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, "Supplicate Allah when you are assured of being answered, and know that Allah does not answer a supplication which comes from a careless and inattentive heart." Tirmidhi transmitted it, saying this is a gharib tradition.

4.Thinking the best of Allah

Ya`qub (Jacob) [‘alayeh-salam:peace be upon him] said to his sons:

"and never give up hope of Allah's Mercy. Certainly no one despairs of Allah's Mercy, except the people who disbelieve.." Surat Yusuf (Joseph):verse 87

Narrated AbuHurayrah [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said:Allah taa'la says: 'Indeed I am as My servant presumes Me to be, and I am with him when he remembers Me.'Al-Bukhari 5/175 and Muslim 4/2061, this specific wording is related by Al-Bukharee.

5.Admitting one's wrong-doings:

Allah says in Quran, about Yunus [‘alayeh-salam:peace be upon him]:

But he cried through the darknesses (Zulumat) (saying): ``There is no God but You, Glorified be You! Truly, I have been of the Zalimin wrongdoers.'') (88. So We answered his call, and delivered him from the distress. And thus We do deliver the believers.) Surat Al-Anbiya (Chapter - 21):Ayaat(verses)87-88

(And thus We do deliver the believers.) means, when they are in difficulty and they call upon Us and repent to Us, especially if they call upon Us with these words at the time of distress.

Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, Allah is pleased with His servant when he says:"La illah illa anta inni qad zalamtu nafsi fughfirli dhunubi innahu la yaghfiru dhunuba illa anta (There is no deity worthy of worship except You, I have wronged myself, Forgive me my sins, For there is no one who can forgive sins except You." He (Allah) says: "My servant knows that he has a Rabb (Lord), who forgives and punishes also.

Hakim transmitted it. [Silsilah ahadith sahihia hadith no.1653]

Explanation:

Rabb (Rubb):There is no proper equivalent for Rabb in English language. It means the One and the Only Lord for all the universe, its Creator, Owner, Organizer, Provider, Master, Planner, Sustainer, Cherisher, and Giver of security. Rabb is also one of the names of Allah.

6.Repeating one's supplications three times:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:When Allah's Apostle [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] completed his prayer, he supplicated against Quraish in a loud voice. When he used to supplicate,he invoked three times and when he used to ask,he asked three times.He raised his head and said thrice.He said, "O Allah! Destroy (the pagans of) Quraish; O Allah! Destroy Quraish; O Allah Destroy Quraish,"(Reported by Sahih Muslim)

Narrated Anas ibn Malik [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] said, If anyone asks Allah for Paradise three times, Paradise will say, "O Allah, bring him into Paradise;" and if any one asks for protection from Hell three times, Hell will say, "O Allah, grant him protection from Hell." Ibn Majah transmitted it.

7.One who supplicates should start with himself:

Narrated Ubayy ibn Ka'b[Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]
When Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] mentioned anyone for whom he made supplication, he began with himself.
Tirmidhi transmitted it, saying this is a hasan gharib sahih tradition.

8.Supplicating with Jawami' Al-Kalim (short rich expressions)

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported:The Messenger of Allah [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] liked comprehensive supplications or (Al-Jawami` - i.e., supplications with very few words but comprehensive in meanings), and discarded others.
[Abu Dawud].

9.To raise hands for dua (supplication) is masnun (Sunnah of the Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam]

Narrated Abu Musa Ash'ari [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:The Prophet [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] invoked,while he was raising his hands,and I saw the whiteness of his armpits. (Bukhari reported it)

Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab [Radi Allahu anhu : May Allah be pleased with him]:When Allah's Messenger [Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassalam] raised his hands in supplication he did not lower them till he wiped his face with them. Tirmidhi transmitted it.
]