Visiting graveyards on specific days (especially Eid)

Submitter

:salam2:

It was said in a thread in the Ramadhan and Eid section that the following is bid'ah:

5) To visit the graveyard especially on Eed. It is permitted to visit the graveyard all year long so we should not make a special case out of it on 'Eed;

Can anyone clarify this? Personally, I always thought visiting graveyards on a specific day was a form of bid'ah. But a friend disagreed and linked me to the following:

"Some people say that it is Haraam to set aside important days, such as Mondays and Thursdays, Giyaarwi Shareef (11th of the Islamic month), Chatti Shareef (6th of the Islamic month),etc. to perform some virtuous act. The Ahle Sunnah wal Jama'at believes that it is not Haraam to set aside special days for Islamic acts such as Moulood-un-Nabi, Giyaarwi Shareef, Esaale Sawaab, Urs Shareef, etc. Allah Ta'ala says in the Holy Quran: "And remind them of the days of Allah" (Part 13, Ruku 13)

Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) himself set aside specific days, namely:-

1. He used to keep fast on Mondays and Thursdays. (Mishkaat Shareef; Abu Dawud Shareef)
2. The Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) would go every Saturday to Musjid-e Quba sometimes travelling on horseback and sometimes walking. He would perform two Raka'ats of Nafil Salaah there. (Sahih Bukhari; Muslim Shareef)
3. Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) went into Ghazwa-e-Tabook on a Thursday and he preferred to journey on a Thursday. (Sahih Bukhari; Mishkaat)
4. The Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) told Sayyiduna Abu Zar Ghaffari (radi Allahu anhu) that if he wished to fast, then he should fast for three days in a month, namely the 13th, 14th and 15th of every Islamic month. (Mishkaat; Nisaa'i Shareef)
5. It has been related by Sayyiduna Anas (radi Allahu anhu) that the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) used to visit the graves of the Martyrs of Uhud in the beginning of every year. Thereafter, the orthodox Khulafa too kept on doing so. 6. It has been evident from this that the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) used to approach the Martyrs on a particular day. (Tafseer Durr-Manthoor, Tafseer Kabeer)

Then, to set aside specific days to perform certain Islamic actions are totally permissible."

Does this then also include visiting graves on Eid?

:wasalam:

Abul Harith

Staff member
Asalam alaikom

There is a principle in Islam that anything related to worship requires a proof. The hadeeth that informs us the Prophet fasted on Mondays and Thursdays benefits us with the information that he fasted on those two days. You cannot use this hadeeth to justify making any other act specific to these particular days unless there is a clear proof for it.

To make a ritual such as visiting the graveyards specific to a particular day requires an explicit proof. As there is no such proof it is not allowed.

The link given is for a Barelvi Sufi site. These people have many incorrect beliefs which consist of Shirk and Bidah.

Beware of all innovations and actions that go against sharee’ah. Beware of whims and desires and blind imitation, and follow true guidance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Is he who is on a clear proof from his Lord, like those for whom their evil deeds that they do are beautified for them, while they follow their own lusts (evil desires)?”
[Muhammad 47:14]

There are two kinds of Bid'ah. The first is to innovate in matters of life, like the new ( scientific) inventions. This kind is permissable because, originally, what is a matter of life( or habit) is permissible.

The second kind is to innovate in the religion. This is prohibited because matters related to the religion are " Tawqifiyah" (can only be revealed from Allah).

The Prophet said," Whoever innovates, in this matter (religion) of ours, whatever is not of it, (this innovation) is rejected." [Al Bukharee and Muslim]. In another narration (for this hadith) : " Whoever does what is not our matter(religion), (the innovation) is rejected ." [Muslim].

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Firstly the people from that site give incorrect explanation to the hadith. And also they use weak hadith. Point 5 listed above is not authentic evidence and is not to be used.

Mistakes made on Eid from IslamQa.com

2 – Visiting graves on the two Eid days.
This is contrary to the purpose of Eid which is to express joy and happiness, and it goes against the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the actions of the salaf. It comes under the general meaning of the Prophet’s prohibition on visiting graves on a specific day and making that like a festival, as the scholars stated.
See Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz wa Bida’uha by al-Albaani, p. 219, 258.

Just a reminder for people, the following is a good article:

Introduction to what is Bidah (innovation)

wasalam

Kayote

While I have read all the above answers (not the external links), I have my own view on this:

We also go to the graveyard on Eid day but thats simply because on that happy occasion, we want to remember our fathers, relatives. It is to say our salam.

While yes I agree it is becoming a routine but never is their an intention to make it a part of Eid.

Also since my father's death, while I was in Pakistan I would go every now & then to be close to him.

I think its all dependent on one's intention & yes we should make sure that it should not become a custom.

Submitter

Jazakallah khair for your responses, they have been most useful. Apologies for not acknowledging them earlier, I've been away from the website for a few days. Just a few queries...

Firstly the people from that site give incorrect explanation to the hadith.

Brother Mabsoot could you please give what you feel is a more correct explanation of these 5 hadiths? Or are you just saying in general, these people often give incorrect explanations to hadiths?

And also they use weak hadith. Point 5 listed above is not authentic evidence and is not to be used.

How can one deduce whether the hadith are weak or not (without having come across and studied them before)? I ask because this is something I want to be able to do. You gave the example of point 5 - how do we know it is not authentic?

So you feel they have given incorrect explanations of hadiths that are weak and should not even be used? I hope you can answer my "why" questions: why they are incorrect explanations, and why they are weak. I want to be able to know whether a hadith is weak or not for myself if I come across this situation again.

One final question: what/who is/are "Ahle Sunnah wal Jama'at"? The site claims:

The Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat is the largest group of Muslims and the only group whose beliefs and teachings are truly in accordance with the Holy Quran and Sunnah of the Beloved Habeeb (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). The beliefs of this group are the same as the beliefs of the Sahaba or noble companions of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and the Salf-e-Saliheen (our great pious predecessors).

If this is true then they are simply following the Qur'an and sunnah? Or do you feel this is simply their claim, when in actual fact they are going against the Qur'an and sunnah with some of their beliefs/teachings?

Jazakallah khair. May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum brother,

Brother Mabsoot could you please give what you feel is a more correct explanation of these 5 hadiths? Or are you just saying in general, these people often give incorrect explanations to hadiths?

The Hadith are taken as is...... Its very simple, the Prophet used to fast Mondays and Thursdays. This is not evidence for visiting graves on Eid. And its not proof for celebrating the Prophet's birthday! thats what those people say. Astaghfirullah

So, this explanation the man gives is not right.

the links have been provided, for this Question. As for that hadith, astaghfirullah, i made mistake in saying it was daeef, i had it confused with the one mentioned in the article that i submitted.... Its not one i have ever read, it is not used by the scholars concerning this topic and it is not from the Kutub sittah, six authentic hadith collections. But, i can ask a Shaykh inshaAllah about the authenticity of it.

The science of hadith is a vast topic which requires a great deal of knowledge and experience. Those who do deal with the hadith are Scholars who spent their lives studying them. It is intricate in that it deals with the chain of narrators, their lives, their reliability and the matn the actual text of hadith.

Important: The Science of Hadith, What Are Hadith?

Just because someone claims to be Ahle Hadith, as those people do, does not mean they are. We look at the actions in the light of the Quran and Sunnah. They are going around wrongfully justifying the praying to the dead "saints" and "awliya", celebrating Prophets birthday etc.

Abul Harith

Staff member
Asalam alaikom

Brother Submitter - The question that needs to be asked is who has preceded these people in their statement? Do they have any proof that the Prophet :saw: or the Companions - May Allah be pleased with them all, practised what they state? This is a matter of the deen. When talking about the deen we need to have solid proof to say that something is a permitted form of worship.

The Prophet :saw: has said: "If anyone introduces into this affair of ours (i.e. the religion of Islam) anything which does not belong to it, he will have it rejected." [Reported by Muslim - Sahih].

The Prophet :saw: said: "Whoever does an action which we (Allah and His Messenger) have not commanded it will be rejected." [Reported by Muslim - Sahih]

These are some of the statements from the Ulama of recent times -

" Some people have the custom of going out to the graveyard on the day of Eid to greet the occupants of the graves, but the occupants of the graves have no need of any greeting or congratulations, because they do not fast or pray qiyaam.

Visiting the graves is not something to be done especially on the day of Eid or Friday or any particular day. It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) visited the graves at night, as mentioned in the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah narrated by Muslim. And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Visit the graves for they will remind you of the Hereafter.”

Visiting graves is an act of worship, and acts of worship are not acceptable unless they are in accordance with sharee’ah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not single out the day of Eid for visiting the graves, so we should not do so either. "

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 16/216-223

What is prescribed is to visit graves at any time of night or day that suits the visitor. With regard to singling out a particular day or night, this is bid’ah and there is no basis for it in the Shariah.

Wasalam alaikom

Mu2min

unitedmuslim_73

Ahle sunnat-lost from the right path

:

The Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat is the largest group of Muslims and the only group whose beliefs and teachings are truly in accordance with the Holy Quran and Sunnah of the Beloved Habeeb (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). The beliefs of this group are the same as the beliefs of the Sahaba or noble companions of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and the Salf-e-Saliheen (our great pious predecessors).

I

salaam brother

Dont fall under the words SOME Ahle sunnat because all their practice are not originated from islaam but from the modern Arabia and ancient India...

They celebrate the birthday of prophet which had began 7 centuries after the departure of our prophet.

They believe in wearing amulets. Allah has clearly said that whoever pocess holy verses ( Quran, Tauraat, ..) but do not make use of it is similar to a donkey. that is why Jews are lost, they had changed the tauraat and neglect its original verses.

The Ahle Sunnat also celebrate shab-e-barat which they say that this day Allah releases the souls to visit their respective families. ANd this is false in all aspects.

Ahle sunnat believes that nasheeds, naats will bring them closer to Allah whereas the holy prophet told us tht Zikr is the best way to be nearer to Allah.

Everything that you are ask to believe, do ask its proofs...I was also from Ahle sunnat but i changed and i succeeded in changing members of my family.