** Washing mouth with Listerine**

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:

Listerine, a mouth wash, has alochol in it.

Its very effective, and I always use it. Is it allowed in Islam to wash your mouth with it.
I'm obviously not swollowing it, but we all know that a small amount stays in the mouth, after spitting out the majority.

:shake:Jazakom Allah khairan in advance. :salam2:

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
salaam
brother can u pls name the alcohol in ur listerine?/
as for me i used to see it chemically,if its not causing any effect on mind,i guess its not haram,as it states..anythng which makes u loose ur mind is haram,even if its in small amouts,unless u do not have any option left

OsMaN_93

Here to help
I don't know, it only says 'Alcohol' on the label. :)
I guess it isn't haram, as it doesn't intoxicate me ;)

TriniMujahid

Some say it is ok once you dont swallow it, but tothers say there is a small chance that it a small amout will be swallowed and that it should be avoided. You should try crest pro health it is antimicrobial like listerine without the burn.

PS. i have heard listerine is good for getting rid of danduff ?? does anyone else heard of this ?

:wasalam:

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Wa'alaikum asalaam warahmatullah,

Mouthwashes containing alcohol

Q: I have been advised not to use Listerine, a kind of mouthwash, because it contains some form of alcohol. However, if the kind of alcohol it contains is not an intoxicant, is there some other reason for its prohibition or would it be permissible to use it?

A: Praise be to Allaah.

If the alcohol which this mouthwash contains is not intoxicating, then it is ok. to use it, so long as it is not harmful, because what is haraam is only that which is intoxicating.

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd.

In this case we should look at the drink as a whole: if a lot of it causes intoxication then a little of it is haraam.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

And I myself would like to quote the hadith:
"Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram"
(Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi)

And as the label only says 'alcohol', I think it would be extremely wise to avoid it.

WAllahu'alam.

fada_all

salam alikom

i think if it doesn't make u lose ur consciousness , and has no effect on ur mind it is not haram..
allah knows more

salam alikom

OsMaN_93

Here to help

The product has many ingredients, and one of which is Alcohol. So no it isn't plain alcohol.
Jazakom Allah khairan for the responses, w/salam

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaikum,

It doesnt matter how many ingredients it contains, for example: if I wanted to eat some food which contained alcohol it would of course be haraam, even though it isn't just plain alcohol as there are other things on the plate.

I think this is a matter that is to be avoided, as the Prophet (sallAllahu 'alaihi wasalam) said:
'Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt...'
(At-Tirmidhi, al-Nisaa'i and Ahmad)

And my concern is only in your best intentions my brother.

May Allah guide us all.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

It is always best for a muslim to stay as far as prossible from prohibited things such as alcohol, to prevent himself from Allah's anger and punishment.. Try using Siwak.

in the hadith of `A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) who quotes Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying, "Siwak cleanses the mouth and earns one the Lord's pleasure." (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

Siwak was proven to be more effective than any of mouth washers.

in the hadith of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Were it not for the fact that I did not want to make things too hard for my Ummah, I would have commanded them to use the siwak at every time of Salah.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)
According to another report narrated by Al-Bukhari, he said: "… at every time of making wudu'."

Imam An-Nawawi reported that the respectable scholars agreed that the use of the siwak is Sunnah and is encouraged. One of the signs of its importance is the fact that some of the salaf (early pious Muslims), such as Ishaq ibn Rahawayh, thought that it was obligatory.

With Siwak you dont have to use your toothbrush with a toothpaste or anything else.

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
okay so listerine is out of the question u say, but what about rubbing alchohol??? When my daughter was born.... The doctor... Who was Muslim, told me that rubbing alchohol was better than hydrogen peroxide for the umbilical cord. So my question is... Did I do the right thing by using the rubbing alchohol.... And this was six months ago I don't use it anymore....

Prosperous

asthagfirullah

The product has many ingredients, and one of which is Alcohol. So no it isn't plain alcohol.
Jazakom Allah khairan for the responses, w/salam
brother, in english , when speaking alcohol is referred normally to ETHANOL, as in chemistry labs..like 75% alcohol,0.25% alcohl means it contain ethanol.
in english language ethanol is commonly called alcohol in general.other wise the name of alcohol is given specifically. and ethanol is INTOXICATING.the most common and highly intoxicating.so if it says only alcohol than i would recommend not to use as alcohol generally refers to ethanol.otherwise names are written.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
okay so listerine is out of the question u say, but what about rubbing alchohol??? When my daughter was born.... The doctor... Who was Muslim, told me that rubbing alchohol was better than hydrogen peroxide for the umbilical cord. So my question is... Did I do the right thing by using the rubbing alchohol.... And this was six months ago I don't use it anymore....

Rubbing alcohol is actually spirit(sugical spirit).which is not intoxicating,
there are two types, white surgical spirit(known as rubbing alcohol) which contain 65% isopropanol and 35% water.it is undrinkable and a person who dring will get poisonous, as u know this is used only in aseptical procedures like cleaning skin,as isopropanol cannot be absorbed by skin.but toxic if only swallowed.
the second type of spirit..Methylated spirit contains about 90% methanol and 10% water.methanol being highly toxic, u should have lischence to carry this.this is also undrinkable. and cannot be used on skin becox skin can absorb methanol and so is poisonous to beused even externally.
so these are not haram, as non of this is intoxicating, used in aseptic procedures, .so don't worry.

Almeftah

Many Scholars permitted Alcohol for medical use, But that doesnt mean its ok to use it all the time.. Muslims should try hard to avoid the use of alcohol whenever possible and try searching for alternatives in order to please Allah.

I'm sure that doctor you mentioned could use something other than alcohol, but since alcohol is commonly used for medical purposes no one will bother to search for something else.

Generally speaking, Its ok to use it regarded you dont swallow it.

And Allah knows best.