Watching TV ?

FrenchMuslim

Assalam aleykum brothers and sisters

I am trying to stop watching TV and find it VERY difficult , subhanallah it's been easier to stop listening to music !!

Do you watch TV ???

ShaheedU

Extinct
Waalaikum assalaam

yep, too much.

cant get enough of comedy (british comedy).
and films
and football
and soaps

Marwa17

i watch tv like ten minutes a day or something (i'm not really a tv person) and that's usually during dinner...but I'm addicted to the internet...can't stay away for longer than ten minutes...as for music, i used to be really addicted to that too...but then I started listening to muslim lectures instead and it's okay...i think i just feel bored and want to listen to something...
You know what you can do to beat your addication to the tv? Get rid of it!!!! Like pretty much you can get the news online, so that's not a problem...and ya...i actually see no point for having a tv...but that's like my dad's thing...relaxing after work, watching espn...lol
Inshallah, allah help you

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

i used to watch a lot more t.v. before, but now i don't.

my parents got rid of cable when me n' my brothers were little because they thought it was too much...

but even after that me n' my brothers had a day where we would get up at 7 o clock and watch cartoons till about 11-12 .... it was a special day where they always showed new stuff...

lol... with all my younger brothers i think all i ever really do is watch cartoons... and even then the simpsons are off limits :D

but then i decided to get rid of watching so much t.v. and sence regular stuff doesn't work without an antena i took it and hid it... wow... my brothers reacted badly, but i was a good hider and they never found it...

i returned the antena but alhamdulillah, i don't even really watch t.v. now. My brothers still watch cartoons... but inshallah they'll grow out of it.... :)

wassalam.

samiha

---------
Staff member
assalamu alaykum.

lol... yes we watch the thingy every four years... lol... the ones we can anyway...

My dad even drove us alll the way over to my uncles house so we could watch the final game together... :D

but no... i didn't watch all the games... some of the more major ones i just kept track of the score on the internet using matchcast...

wassalam.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
I watch TV too much :D

I hope you're not trying to stop watching it because it's "Haram", because it isn't! That's just some scholar giving out random Fatawa (plural of Fatwa) without any evidence!

samiha

---------
Staff member
assalamu alaykum.

No watching t.v. is not haram perhaps, but it many times breeds many haram elements like music... exposing of other genders... etc.

WoW... ok... i'm not that old, but as it is, t.v. has changed from when i was younger. My parents could leave the t.v. as it was and expect nothing bad to be on... but now... it's not so easy.

I know some ppl who say "Oh its fine, you should teach your kids to expect that from american t.v. don't have them flinching every time a girl comes on screen"

but i don't agree with that, Islam has a component of haya... shyness and we should help everyone increase themselves in it.

so t.v. may not be Haram, but it has the potential to be... depending on what you watch, how you watch it... etc.

Wassalam.

bemuslim

salam alaikum

D ' abord , j aimearis vous remercier d avoir poser cette question. J e trouve qu il a aucun mal si vous regardez un documentaire ou des sujets qui sont tres important.

First , i would like to thank u so much for putting such a question.I believe that
there is no harm if u watch useful programs such as fatawa or documantarries that do not go against islam.

umm hussain

t.V

Asalam alaikum

I dont watch TV, I dont even have a T.V in the house any more, before i reverted i obviously watched a lot of comedies, music etc and used to let the children watch cbeebies etc but alhamdulillah I cant be bothered anymore. I cant let myself waste time looking at non beneficial things, first of all I havent even memorised Quran, I have so many du'as to learn, hadiths etc so An hr spent watching unbeneficial t.v is a waste and as Muslims we shouldn't waste out time because if you really look at, In my opinion 98% of the programmes are Haram or contain haram, e.g free mixing, promoting Zina, etc and the childrens cartoons are there to control them. The news is one sided and T.v licencing not worth it. When my little boy said he wanted to buy a dog because of a particular cartoon he used to watch that's when i decided to cut it off totally, alhamdulillah they are fine with it. The oldest is 41/2, then 21/2, they used to memorise T.V ads and what the people used yo say and I thought to myself they can use this memory inshallah to memorise something beneficial in this life and the next inshallah, they now know quite a lot of Juz Ammah, including the 2yr old and people are surprised they think he is still in Nappies and cant even speak properly but he already knows about 10 short Surahs and a couple duas e.g what to say when going to toilet, Ayatul kursi etc so getting rid of the T.V was one of the best things I have ever done and we spend more time as a family and communicate more and we are learning the deen together. They cant stand music alhamdulillah, I told them it is Haram and since then they dont even want to hear it so we try avoid visiting non muslims as much as possible because they are very outspoken and tell people that what they are doing is Haram, even shopping, the older one said to me the other day I hate listening to music, so let us buy what we want to and quickly get out of here and he really gets depressed about it.

I know the T.V in itself isnt haram after all it only a box but the contents are the ones which are haram.

ifrah26

subhanallah

:salam2: yes i do but i am trying to avoid it to ,and yes its nice to hear that someone else has avoided listerning to music do you however listern to nasheed if so listern those without music except ones with Daff are aloud as in our beloved prophets (pbuh) time they used the Daff.:wasalam::blackhijab: sister ifrah26

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2: yes i do but i am trying to avoid it to ,and yes its nice to hear that someone else has avoided listerning to music do you however listern to nasheed if so listern those without music except ones with Daff are aloud as in our beloved prophets (pbuh) time they used the Daff.:wasalam::blackhijab: sister ifrah26

That's very hard in my household. My brother is a music freak. Music is to my brother as food is to him.

But, as umm hussain pointed out: there are better things to do than watch TV or listen to music; even if you dispute whether or not their Haram.

Dawoodi

salam w

salam walaikum

TV ISNT HARAM!!! BUT FOR SURE most OF THE TV PROGRAMS ARE!!!

if they not look at the adverts.

salam w.

FrenchMuslim

Salam aleykum , thank you for your replies. I know TV is not haram but it contains indeed a lot of haram things and it is obviously a waste of time.

I am trying to watch Tv less inshallah ,

msameer

T.V specially today and more specially in the un-censored west is 99% bad and 1% good. Mature adults might be able to filter what they watch but what about younger people? T.V today is the biggest medium for spreading "Fahash". Obsenity on TV is the norm today, even news channels carry adds that are obsene. From an Islamic point of view, It is not the T.V that is halaal or haraam, It is what you watch on it that is Haraam or Halaal. A knife if used in the kitchen for cooking is Halaal, At the same time if it is used for killing innocent people it is Haraam. Simple Eh!

Azra

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah hiwabarakatuh,

I used to watch a lot of t.v. however after I reverted, I have been trying to control my t.v. hours particularly in what I watch. My favourite t.v. shows were C.S.I, Nip/Tuck and Monk but Alhamdullilah, I have managed to slowly wean myslef from these shows.

I am also a music lover but now I mostly listen to lectures and nasyeeds.

Wassalam.

bemuslim

SALAM ALAIKUM

AS FAR AS GOING TO THE TOILET THERE IS A SPECIFIC DIKR RATHER THAN RECITING AYAT AL KURSI.I SUGGEST THAT U SHOULD READ THE COLLECTION OF FIQH AL SUNNAH.It DEALS WITH FIQH MATTERS.LOOK PLAESE AT TABLE OF CONTENTS AND CHOOSE WHAT EVER TOPIC U WANT TO KNOW
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fusintro.html

Praise be to Allaah.

Watching TV is very dangerous, and I advise you not to watch it and not to sit in front of it as far as possible. But if the viewer has the moral strength to benefit from what is good, and that will not lead him into evil, then there is nothing to prevent him from that, if he knows that he has that moral strength. If he can listen to something good and benefit from it, and keep away from evil things such as songs and objectionable dramas and other harmful things, then there is nothing wrong with that
Whoever thinks that this device (TV) can be free of these evils and can be used only for good purposes
With regard to the cartoons which you say appear on TV, if they are in the form of humans, then the ruling on watching them depends on whether they come under the same ruling as realistic human images or not? It is most likely that they do not come under that ruling.

If they are not in the form of humans, then there is nothing wrong with watching them, so long as they are not accompanied by anything haraam such as music and so on, and they do not distract from obligatory duties. End quote.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa 2/question no. 333

Secondly:

The issue of animated drawings and cartoons is one of the most serious educational issues, because of the immense effect that these films have on children’s developing characters, and because they have become a primary educational tool in many countries nowadays.

At this stage the heart and mind of the child is like a blank page; nothing crosses it but it leaves an imprint.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Tuhfat al-Mawdood (240):

One thing that the child desperately needs is for care to be taken with regard to his morals and attitude, for he will grow up with whatever the one who is raising him accustoms him to when he is small, and when he grows older it becomes difficult for him to change what he has got used to; these attitudes and characteristics that have become deeply ingrained in him, even if he tries to suppress them, they will always surface and expose him. End quote.

These are some of the positive effects of children watching these programs:

1 – They give children a great deal of educational information in an easy and enjoyable manner. Some cartoons focus on particular geographical areas, and others focus on scientific matters, such as the parts of the human body, which gives the child advanced knowledge at an early age.

2 – They develop the child’s imagination and nourish his abilities, and they develop the imagination in a way which helps the mind to grow and prepare it to be innovative and teach the child new ways of thinking and behaving.

3 – They teach fus-ha (classical) Arabic which children usually do not hear at home or even at school. It is well known that teaching the child correct language is one of the aims of education.

Ibn Taymiyah said in Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem (1/207):

It should be noted that becoming accustomed to the language has a powerful effect on one's thinking, attitude and religious commitment, and also has the effect of seeking to follow the example of the early generations of this ummah, the Sahaabah and Taabi’een. Seeking to follow their example increases reasoning, religious commitment and good attitude. Moreover, the Arabic language is part of this religion, and learning it is obligatory and essential. End quote.

4 – They meet some psychological needs and have a beneficial effect, such as compassion, love, honouring one’s parents, competition, striving for success and meeting challenges and many other positive attitudes that can be instilled via cartoons.

There are also some negative effects that come from watching these programs:

1 – The negative consequences of watching TV in general, of which there are many such as: damage to the eyes, getting used to laziness and inactivity, getting used to passive reception and not participating. It also stunts natural development of knowledge, because knowledge is acquired by learning, researching and seeking, but the television replaces seeking with mere receiving. Watching TV also weakens the bonds of love between family members, when they let watching shows keep them from speaking to one another.

Ibn al-Qayyim said, discussing the parent’s responsibilities in raising the child in Tuhfat al-Mawdood (241):

He should avoid letting him became lazy and inactive, and should teach him the opposite. He should not let him rest for more than he needs to refresh his body and soul for more work, for laziness and inactivity bring bad consequences and will end in regret, but hard work brings good consequences, either in this world or in the Hereafter or in both. End quote.

2 – They present beliefs and ideas that are contrary to Islam, as some movies include mixing and display of charms (tabarruj) that are haraam. Some cartoons, such as Tom & Jerry, give distorted ideas about the Hereafter, Paradise and Hell, and the Reckoning. Some cartoons include distortions of the stories of the Prophets and Messengers, and some poke fun at Islam and Muslims, whilst others (such as Pokemon) include the beliefs of eastern and idolatrous religions. And there are many other examples. Even if a film does not outwardly go against Islam, it still carries notions of western culture that are alien to our society and religion.

THE ALTERNATIVE IS Dealing with Worries and Stress Dangers in the Home

Book by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Asude

The advantages or disadvantages of watching TV are up to what you watch on TV.If you watch news to learn what happened in the world,it is good and if you watch some programmes to develop yourself,it is usefull too.It is the part of the life like computers.As muslims,we should know what is right and what is wrong.And we should do everything as it is necessary.Of courese,to watch TV so much,especially unnecessary programmes,is harmful for us.We should use time well.Because there isn't any trial of life.

umm hussain

just to correct

bemuslim, i didnt say u recite ayat-ul Kursi when going to the toilet, if you look carefully there is a comma, I was merely listing what he can say.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
bemuslim, i didnt say u recite ayat-ul Kursi when going to the toilet, if you look carefully there is a comma, I was merely listing what he can say.

On that whole toilet issue: isn't it Bid'ah to say a perscribed Du'a and to step in with your right foot and all that stuff? That's not in the Hadith or the Qur'an and it's superstition.