were u once catholic?(or any xtian sect)

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Hi there;

I converted at 26....in March this year.

I was a Catholic before; I was raised and educated as a Catholic, but did not take confirmation. I didn't have any interest in getting confirmed as I thought at 14 I had better things to do! In my mother's country; Ireland they get confirmed at 12. I always thought religion should be encouraged by parents but the individual should embrace whichever religion they want in adulthood. A child shouldn't be pressurised into 'confirming' a religion....because they may not know about other religions and make the wrong decision.

However; having watched the video of the 2 girls who converted to islam I can see some 12 year olds can be drawn to a religion and embrace it. But as a whole I think young teens and kids should just learn from parents but not be forced into practising.

I converted to islam because i have always been interested by it. The more i found out about Islam and its principles the more i agreed with it and realised this was the religion for me. I always believed in one God so it makes perfect sense. I was never convinced by this obsession with worshipping Jesus (swt) as He is not God.....he is a creation from God as much as you or me.

danial

but why did u convert really? as in...what is it in catholicism that is not convincing but islam is?

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I believe that Mohammed (pbuh) was sent by God to convey His word to us.

I don't believe in the trinity...it doesn't make sense.

Catholics recite 'I belive in one God the almighty maker of Heaven and Earth' then call Jesus Lord and worship him. Does this make sense to you? I was brought up to believe what I was told and in adulthood I was old enough to understand that these things do not ring true to my ears.

Jesus was created by God.....as we are all.....how can he then be 'the lord'. As for the Holy Spirit, I never really got it.

Steve940

Asalamu alaikum,

I grew up in a non practicing christian family. I read the bible occasionally, but although I didn't pray a lot, when I did it was sincere, and I had God on my mind a lot. I usually tried to abide by God's laws, but remember this was when I was young, about from age 5-15 I had these ideas. I hardly ever went to church, but I still felt a connection with God. When I was 14 or so, me and my best friend (hes muslim) used to talk a lot about God and the last days and everything, about Christian apocalypse and stuff and we would trade ideas and I realized that Islam was monotheistic and similar in ideals to christianity. He worshipped the same God that I did and I was glad to have someone else to talk to, because most kids I knew never talked about God but rather the basketball game they just got done playing.
So when I was 15 I became interested in learning about Islam. I never believed Jesus (A.S.) had any part of divinity because my only real source of religion was the bible, and although I didn't read it much, I read some parts and what sticks in my head is where Jesus (A.S.) falls on his face and prays I don't remember where but you might know what part I'm talking about, it's widely quoted to refute the idea that Isa (A.S.) is divine. So when my muslim friend tells me he worships one God, not three like I do, I was confused. "I don't worship 3 Gods or Jesus I worship one God". So really, as soon as I learned about Islam, Alhamdulilah it clicked everything seemed natural I knew that christianity is fake and not real and the things I learned in my life were wrong. There was no real thinking necessary for me to become muslim. I went the masjid a couple of times, read the Quran, learned how to pray, and I knew absolutely 100% this is the truth. Alhamdulilah I reverted on Eid Al-fitr last year 2006 and I'm happier than I could have ever been being a christian even if I had the world and everything in it! :allahuakbar: :subhanallah: :laila:

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
Steve