Western clothes for muslim women and men

theonlystar

:salam2:

i heard muslim women should not wear western clothes but what about muslim men?
what is the different?

if women wear trouser, that is totally bad. But what about men? they said its ok.

i know we should not follow the way of western clothes and no mullahs
complain about western men clothes but they are complain about western women clothes.

but why no western clothes for women? why all western clothes is ok for men?

any comment welcome.

:wasalam:

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Alaikum

Ok forgive me but I don't really get this. Why can't we wear western clothes? Pakistanis can wear pakistani clothes, malasians can wear malasian clothes ect. Why not wear western clothes? as long as they follow Islamic guidelines in what must be covered, I don't see a problem with it. If other cultures can keep their style of dress, why can't westerners?

amyaishazouaoui

define western clothes

It always amuses me when people say western clothes!
Is there a definition or something? Not all western women wear revealing clothes, infact i know many who cover better than muslims do!!!!
I wear long skirts to work, which i purchase from high streets, western shops, such as next, long tall sally. These cover me appropriately but are western I also purchase nice tops from the likes of monsoon, bravissimo, east, they too are western shops!

Infact my first brown jilbab, and trouser suit was from east!!!! I loved it, it was brown aith fine pinstrpes of beige and black and navy.i wore it until i cold wear it no more :(:(:(:(:(:(

Anyway can someone define western dress/clothes for me please!!

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Some people have very odd ideas about what us Westerners *wear, eh sis?

*(The non Muslim ones especially).

ShyHijabi

Wearing trousers is very bad for women? If it does not show the outline of her bones (tight fitting) then how is it bad? I wear western style clothing and they are very modest.

I've seen eastern clothes that would make a prostitute blush...I decided to check an Indian wedding dress out on a site and was shocked. Who wears a midriff to their own wedding? And there were other clothing that were see through and skin tight...all Eastern style clothing I might point out.

Both males and females are to guard their modesty, preferably loose fitting clothing and of course their awra should be covered. I think the best dress code for men is by following the Sunnah.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam
salaam allaikum

theonlystar

western clothes are permissable for man and women as long as they are not tight and reveal the shape of body its fine. some people have wrong ideas of western clothes they asociate with mini skirts for women and shorts for men.
islam says wear loose clothes and not tight clothes and full to the navel of the foot. as long as you achieve this its ok.

salaam allikum

sister sarah

salaam alllikum

maybe you are talking about hindu dreses. hindu wear revelaing dresses and so some muslims do too. but it comes from hindus . just to clarify

salaam allaikum

umm hussain

I've seen eastern clothes that would make a prostitute blush...I decided to check an Indian wedding dress out on a site and was shocked. Who wears a midriff to their own wedding? And there were other clothing that were see through and skin tight...all Eastern style clothing I might point out.
Sarah

Asalam alaikum

You should not be 'shocked' by Indian dress because it does not equal Muslim dress and I have never heard anywhere were they say 'Western' dress is bad but Indian is okay so I guess 'Indian' dress is just as bad as 'western ' dress if the definition for Western dress is mini skirts, tight jeans and anything un-islamic.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
mmm.....

I think in this discussion the "sunnah" dress has been mixed with the idea of an "honest" dress and so on.
Jilbaab is sunnah, hijaab is fard. Men should wear Sunnah as well but what you probably see in the street is more women wearing jilbaab than men wearing qamis and turbant(not sure if they are called like this in english).

I think we should try our best...men & women....but wearing qamis or jilbaab doesn't mean you are better than another muslim....Allah knows best!

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam
I cannot remember exactly if it says in the Quran or Sunnah,that we should not wear the clothes with bright pattern or the clothes the same like unbelievers wear.Please correct me if I'm wrong.As I said I'm not sure where I read it.
I personally have no problems with western type of clothes ,its just clothes made by people.another thing actually when I look at the clothes where its made,here in US don't know about UK,it mostly made in Pakistan ,or India,
But the other thing that make me sad ,from what read is that ,there are even little kids work on the factories to make clothes ,for little money...But then the companies make crazy money of of it ,here in US
salam to all

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Alaikum we should not wear colours that make us stand out, ie if everyone is wearing bright neon colours (think of the 80's) then wearing black would make you stand out. As well if everyone is wearing black or darker colours wearing bright pink would make you stand out.

here is a Q & A

Question:
I have read some narrations concerning the Mothers of the Believers that they used to wear hijaabs and jilbaabs that were coloured red and yellow, so is it permissible for me to wear those colours?

Answer:
O my daughter, these colours that were worn by those women at that time were colours that were known and that they were acquainted with during that time, and the intent behind that which is mentioned in these narrations is not colours that turn one’s attention, but indeed it is the likes of red or black, or for example a mixture or combination of red, black and green. So do not envision that the Mothers of the Believers and their sisters from amongst the Companions or the Taabi‘iyaat used to wear Jilbaabs or Khimars so as to turn the attention of unrelated men towards them.

[Answered by Shaykh ‘Ubayd in Madeenat-ul-Munawwarah on 14th May 2007.
Based on translation by Aboo Hakeem]

apocalypse77

western culture is different from islamic cultures..if you dont like it, dont talk about it esp if youre already living in a western country free to practise ur religion..youll only be accuse of a sourgrape or an ingrate. to them is their "free culure" and to us shall be our islamic culture

western clothes are okay PROVIDED the cloth materials are NOT of haram animal origins like pig skin, too tight, translucent. Otherwise, i dont see any problem in wearing western clothes.

If youre rich and you can afford the most expensive western cloth within those conditions with your own hard earn money the halal and islamic way why not?

ShyHijabi

The marriage clothing site I visited was specifically labeled as Pakistani...which is supposedly a Muslim state. I think this is where someone is trying to say Eastern clothing is superior over Western and I disagreed. I never said Indian clothing was better, my argument was against saying Eastern clothing was better than Western.

Modest clothing..whether Eastern or Western is the best choice. I buy my clothes from a used clothing store as they are dirt cheap and I am living on a very small income as a medical student. In the end I try to occupy myself with maintaining my modesty and if someone is wearing provacative clothing I lower my gaze.

Wasalaam

~Sarah