Western Muslims - do you feel integrated?

HappyMuslimah

Exams:Duas please!
:salam2:
I'm doing some research on muslim intergration in the West.

Personally, this has never been a problem for me. I am just as British as anyone else on the street.

What about you guys?

Please reply, it'd be a great help!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister what do you mean. That is a very open question. It is also a spritual state. You state you feel just as British as anyone else. How can you. Are you asking do we feel that we can be part of the society if we give up Islam. Why would we want to intergrate? What are your specifics for intergration?
Are you asking as long as we imitate the white man and his ways in the United Kingdom you are as British as anyone else.

As long as you choose to be Muslim it is very difficult. We are the other. The current laws in the UK would make it hard.

I do not mean to make it difficult for you. I need clarification as to your objective. This is to be serious. How can a man feel just as British as anyone else when he is walking around with a beard..a cap on his head...and his wife is in hijab/niqab...and he knows he will be questioned about everything.

PSPdude

Well im still in high school and most of my friends are non-muslim and they know im a muslim but still respect me even teachers . My dad so far never faced any discrimnation and going through airports are not really a problem for all of us . We are living in state where everything is multicultural . But I think its a different story for other american states .

Khalil2u

I think your question should have been more thoroughly thought out.:SMILY153: As Muslims we could never and should never integrate into any society other than Islam. I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American. Allah made it so that the world would consist of many different places, people, languages, cultures and species. That is part of the ayah. Allah SWT made The Americas and Europe, Africa, Australia, Asia and Antarctica. Islam is the only thing that truly binds all these things together. I live in America it is almost impossible to break the laws here as a Muslim because you follow Sharia law. There are things here in this secular society that are legal that you should be put to death for in Sharia law. So I integrate well into American society not because of the American way but because I follow the ways of the prophet pbuh and the prophets before him. I follow the path that Allah has set. As a new Muslim early in my journey I grapple with this historic election. I'm an African American woman and as a citizen I have to protect myself and the world. So I have to vote. John McCain is more evil than Bush. I will do everything in my power to keep this man from leading this country so I will cast my vote for Barak Obama. I'm an independent because I don't subscribe to any party besides Allah's SWT. That doesn't make me say that I'm as American as any American That makes me say I'm as Muslim as any Muslim. I will cast that vote to protect myself and the Muslim world from An evil man.:tti_sister: Imagine a man more psychotic than Bush.:girl3: So I must participate in the American system but the American system is not my creed. We as Muslims need to get more involved in our governments and justice systems. Sharia and secular so that we can make sure our needs as Muslims are met.We need Muslims involved in secular governments that we live in to protect Muslims and Islam. To provide a better environment in the communities for Muslims. For things such as access to mosques and the building of new mosques and Islamic centers. To protect our civil rights to be able to practice Islam in our communities. We need to be more involved in Sharia law. To make sure that the leaders of the Muslim lands are treating the people as the Qu'ran says they should. To make sure those leaders follow Sharia as they should and protect it from being tainted by the secular world. I don't think its integration I just think its man living side by side with their different creeds. We live by ours and they live by theirs. You decide what you are.:SMILY231:

Sajidah_1

ancient one
Asalamu alaikum :
I believe the question was valid ,it my have lacked a bit more of a solid direction ,but inshallah I think I understand what she is asking ....Sis I also live in the west (Canada) and I find it very easy to intergrate and live my life fully as a muslim,Alhamdulilah .What problem I have encounterd and so have many other reverts is this tug of war muslims have with reverts ,depending on the comunity one is told they must eat dress and live either asian or arab cultures and this is soo wrong .Show me where it is 100% that my country's culture is all harram ? Canadians dont eat just pork dishes nor do Germans ,nor do they all drink alcohol . Islam teaches ,that there is no culture in Islam ecept what a person brings with them and as long as it does not violate any of Allahs laws and rules then its ok. So Apple pie is halal as long as the crust is made with shortening and not lard ,and yes lemonade is as well ..as for how I wear my cloths ,and what I sleep on ,again these as long as they are in congunction with the rules and laws are very permissable ......Why is it Muslims need to make and bring hardship upon themselfs and upon others...As is said islam is easy ,the hardship muslims bring upon themselfs.... I live and work and play with in this comunity ,and I have never had to give up my faith or my belief at any point and I have not had to sit in my home feeing isolated from any one ...I swim ,I skate , and I even bowl and mashallah life could not be easier AlahUAkbar...but then I do not waste my time trying to come up with reasons to hate the land I live on or the people I live in it with ,for Allah made man to be gardianship over all things and how can one do this if one can only find wrongs and errors in everything..seek out the good and the correct and then Inshallah you will find the beaut of his creation

Masalaam

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
Asalamu alaykum

i personally havent really tired to intergrate because i have faced discrimination against my hijab i have had things thrown at me and names shouted at me but i think they can try to intergrate communities but it doesnt stop peoples prejudices and ignorance about issues facing both side of the community i live in a somali community and my community doesnt intergate much at all some women have lived here 10 -15 years and still dont know english so i think when the communities want to make a step to try and integrate both sides should make an effort and have facilities open to them but I AM TOTALLY AGAINST INTERGRATION THAT COMPRIMISES ISLAM IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM THATS WHY I THINK INTERGATION IS DONE WRONG IN THE UK AND IT SHOULD RESPECT BOTH SIDES VIEWS AND BELIEFS. YOU CANT INTERGRATE IGNORANCE BUT REAL INTERGRATION IS WHEN PEOPLE ARE EDUCATED ABOUT EACHOTHER AND THEREFORE RESPECT EACHOTHER,

sorry if i have written a lot i hoped it helps:hijabi:

:wasalam:

palestine

Servant of Allah
i don't feel integrated in the least bit. I'm a muslim which means that i'm the target they shoot at. i wear my hijab , so i become the outcast, the one who they hate and who they see as "unliberated". i will be honest that i do not feel american and never will feel that way. because i can not and will not ever change my real ethnic background. and living in this land doesn't make me so what they are. first and foremost i'm a muslim. even the real americans who have reverted to islam don't feel integrated into the american society. because they wear hijab and people think they are from the middle east. so to answer your question, i do not feel integrated and i will not feel that way until Islam is correctly established here in the usa. you can't even hear any adhan, it's not part of the law here and they can use their bells. so what does that tell you? anyhow. jazakaAllah for asking. salam.

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah

i totally agree you cant feel intergration when your the target i also think its is hypocritical how you can hear there church bells from 5 different ones a the same time but never the adthan i know its not a muslim country but they want intergration and dont give us the same fairness they have loud carnivals down streets would a adthan once a week hurt i think they wont allow this because we are there enemy and target and thats how it feels may allah give us victory and peace in where we live and may he preserve our deen and keep us on the right path Ameen...

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah

i just wanted to add that this is how we will always feel as islam came as a stranger and will leave as a stranger and now islam is strange to these people because allah has not given them the understanding and i have seen many people try and intergrate by trying to change who they are and what they are and no matter how hard they try they will never be accepted untill al islam prevails over the land. and if our time to prevail is not now then inshallah when the prophet isa returns we will have our victory inshallah so i think all the other communities should want to intergrate with islam if not they will lose out not us :hijabi:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I'm doing some research on muslim intergration in the West.

Personally, this has never been a problem for me. I am just as British as anyone else on the street.

What about you guys?

Please reply, it'd be a great help!

Sister I think with all these views you must be getting a lot of material for your research :D
I think answer depends on what do you mean by the word integration.

If by integration you mean that we receive equal treatment then some will say yes and some will say no.
Those Muslim men who have beard and dress like a Muslim (some might say like Mullah) will have a different experience than a Muslim who is clean shave and dress does show any "Muslimness" (for the lack of any other term).
Similarly those Muslim women who wear hijab will have a different experience than a Muslimah whose dress does not show any "Muslimness". A niqabi Muslimah might have an even more different experience.

So I guess a dovout Muslim may not be fully integrated in the western society. He/she will face some issues from time to time.