What do Muslims believe about Isa being...

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
Recently there was a televised opening of a tomb that was and generally is believed to be the "Lost Tomb of Jesus." There were ten ossuaries one of which was inscribed with the name Isa, son of Joseph. There were also an ossuary with the name Mary, but the experts there came to the conclusion that this was not Isa's mother, but was more likely his wife as another ossuary was that of a young boy. The inscription on it gave his name and an inscription which when translated meant "Son of Isa."

What do Muslims believe concerning the idea that Isa was married and had a son?

Although the Qur’an states that prophets do marry and have children:

"And certainly We sent messengers before you and gave them wives and children, and it is not in (the power of) an messenger to bring a sign except by Allah's permission; for every term there is an appointment" (13:38)

Yet, there is no mention of Prophet Isa, may Allah exalt his mention, being married or having kids in the Quran.

Even in Christian Gospels and writings of Paul, John, Peter in the New Testament there is no mention of him being married or having kids.

I'm not sure if Prophet Isa, may Allah exalt his mention, will marry in his second return to earth. There is no such mentioning in the Quran.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum warahmautllaahi wabarakaatuh.

As akhi Junaid has said, it is a theory that has excelled in modern times, specifically in our lives. Within the last few years I have noticed that many documentaries are dedicated to these claims, but the evidence they give is often ridiculous! It seems as if the author, Dan Brown has played a big part in providing fuel for the people's concern with such time-wasting conspiracy theories.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
I am familiar with the ossuaries you are talking about. I believe even in that film it is mentioned that the names Yeshua, Yousef, and Miriam were (and still are) very common. Fact is, they could be for any Josh, Joe, or Mary who lived during that era.

There are historical and cultural tidbits that could lead one down this line of questioning. First, Jesus Christ (PBUH) was a Jew. As a prophet, he would have been as "jewey" as a jew can be. He would have kept to the Law both in spirit and to the letter.

Orthodox Jews take anything that Allah mentions (according to the Torah) as a command. The first thing God said to Adam (Torah) is "Go forth and multiply." But anyway, I'm about to go off on a tangent that has very little to do with Islam, so let me stop there.

Isa bar Miriam (PBUH) is an important figure in Islam. But we generally don't dwell on him. We are taught to follow the Last Prophet :saw: in both his teachings and practices.
p.s. sorry about the ramblin' on here, kinda tired

MOSABJA

I dont think that Muslims believe Hazrat Eisa(AS) was married.In fact there is a hadith which states that

When Hazrat Eisa(sa) will descend again on earth as a Muslim .At that time he would MARRY a Muslim woman.

how ever no evidence is found in hadith that He(SA) was married.

So I think he had not married .Its just a propaganda of some people that Prophet Eisa(as) had married.they are deliberately trying to spread this propaganda.Da Vinci code was one such effort to Absolve Judah from the allegation of Betraying the Christ(as) and thus trying to bring Jews and Christians closer to each other.It also says that jesus(sa) was married .

I dont think we should believe in what Western media says.