What does it mean to SUBMIT to Allah?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:, I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman inshAllah.

I've been focusing on this question alot lately and recent events on the forum have inspired me to post my question to all of you in an actual thread.

Islam means submission. Muslims are those who submit to the One True God.

So what does it mean to submit to Allah?

As I previously mentioned, I've been looking into this for awhile and subhanAllah it seems as if most Muslims in my community don't even do this.

In regards to our desires, our wants, our goals, even our perceived needs, our beliefs, our fears, what does it mean to submit solely to Allah. :laila: does mean that we take Him as our only Lord. But it's easy to fall into the trap of taking our desires, wants, beliefs etc. as our "Lord" instead.

Prophet Musa alayhis 'salam, in the face of all his trials and tribulations, stated: "My Lord is with me and He will guide me." He did not allow his intimidation of Pharaoh deter him and Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala parted the Red Sea for him.

Prophet Yunus, after being swallowed by the whale/big fish, repented for his sin regarding the people of Nineveh. He stated La illaha illa anta subhanaka inne kuntu min adhalimeen (There is no God except for You. Glory be to You and I was amongst the wrongdoers). Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala then released him from the belly of the whale/big fish.

I have read that submission to Allah involves holding onto Allah and going where He takes you. We seem to do the opposite where, even if we hold into Allah, we try to drag Him where we want to go instead.

Are we lacking in faith by doing this?

What does it mean to completely submit to Him and not have Him submit to us?

Your comments are welcome.

Karima80

:salam2:

Narrated Abu Musa: Some people asked Allah's Apostle, "Whose Islam is the best? i.e. (Who is a very good Muslim)?" He replied, "One who avoids harming the Muslims with his tongue and hands." ... Sahih al-Bukhari

We must remember that when we write here is another way of using our tongues and hands. We must be humble.

O Allah, to You I have bowed and to You I have submitted and in You I have believed. My hearing, sight, bones, brain and sinews are humbled before You

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:, alhamdulillah, and I hope you also are in good health and high iman.

I too have been thinking on this over the passed months. I used to think that submission was doing what Allah swt commands without complaint, eg salah, zakat, sawm.

Now I very much think submission is not the act of, but the result of those things. I am very much at holding onto Allah and going where He takes me. To me, submission now is allowing Allah to drive, rather than my nafs, and it affects every act. By this understanding, I cannot claim to have completely submitted, but it is the direction I am striving towards. If that is the endpoint, or if there is further yet, I do not know.

These were just my comments so far. InshaAllah they help show at least a part of the process.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
:salam2:

To me, Submitting to Allah(SWT) would mean. To obey HIS commands and to abstain from dis-obedience to HIM. It not only means to stand firm on the basic pillars of Islam, but it also means to READ, THINK, PONDER & APPLY whatever we learn in our everyday life. Unless, you start implementing what you learnt in your life. It is of no use. I believe the reason to be firm on the pillars of Islam is because they form the core part of our faith. If you don't have them, then you are lacking behind in your deen & you will never be aware of your sins.

Submitting to Al-Khaliq means to do things for HIS sake which implies whatever you do in your day to day life, should take you a step closer to Ar-Rahman.

Submitting to Al-Bari means to believe and be conscious about The Judgement Day, The Hell-Fire(which is 70 times more than the normal one we see in this dunya.) So that whatever we do, reminds us of the blazing fire and hence we refrain from sins.

Submitting to Ar-Raheem means to repent, to seek HIS mercy for the sins we have done in this life.

Submitting to Al-Aziz means to be able to stand in front of HIM for Salah. More like feeling worthy enough to stand in front of HIM.

Submitting to Allah(SWT) means to realize that everything, every smallest thing you do in this life, you are accountable for it. And no injustice shall be done on that day.

If am wrong, do correct me.

Peace :)

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:,

Apologies for responding late. I had an impending issue to deal with.

Great responses guys. It's nice to see the level of insight that you have about this topic.

To me, submission now is allowing Allah to drive, rather than my nafs, and it affects every act. By this understanding, I cannot claim to have completely submitted, but it is the direction I am striving towards. If that is the endpoint, or if there is further yet, I do not know.

This is what I'm talking about. I feel like letting Allah be the driver goes hand in hand with holding onto Him and seeing where He takes you. My question is how do we do that? That, in my opinion, is complete submission but it seems complex to me. How do you know when Allah is leading you somewhere over when your own self is? With our power of choice, sometimes it's difficult to know where we end and where God begins.

I apologize if this seems too philosophical or maybe I'm simply not expressing myself properly. Basically, living in this dunya, how do I hold onto Allah and let him lead me and know that it's Him that I'm holding onto and not my own self?

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

It's not just taking your foot off the brake and seeing what happens, it is something that grows with ibadah which allows you to take the brake off, knowing that what Allah swt proscribes is better for you, and the submission is in the calm you feel in doing so. The thread Br Kashif links to is an interesting read and says things better than I can.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:salam2:,
My question is how do we do that? That, in my opinion, is complete submission but it seems complex to me. How do you know when Allah is leading you somewhere over when your own self is? With our power of choice, sometimes it's difficult to know where we end and where God begins.

I apologize if this seems too philosophical or maybe I'm simply not expressing myself properly. Basically, living in this dunya, how do I hold onto Allah and let him lead me and know that it's Him that I'm holding onto and not my own self?

Bismillah.
Walaikumassalaam.

Brother Kashif has written a beautiful article[Bhai, Leave something for us also to tell at times :p :D]. He actually answers all the questions. But yet, I would like to give it a shot. ;)

Umar(RA)'s advice to S'ad before the battle of Qaadisiyah.

" I am ordering you and the troops who are with you to fear Allah in all circumstances, for fear of Allah is the best weapon against the enemy and the strongest weapon in war. I am commanding you and those who are with you to be more careful in avoiding sin than in avoiding your enemy, for the sins of the army are to be feared more than their enemy. The Muslims are supported by their enemy's disobedience towards Allah were it not for that we would not have any strength for our numbers are not like theirs and our weapons are not like theirs. If we were equally matched in sin, they would have an advantage over us in strength, and if we did not have an advantage over them by our virtue we would not be able to defeat them by our strength. "

The reason why I put this over here is because, I would like to emphasize on the point that in order to win Allah(SWT)'s mercy, blessings and to have HIM on our side, is basically by avoiding sins. It's like an interlinked chain sister.

We try our Maximum to Avoid Sins + Read the Quran + Pray properly + Dhikr -> We become more aware, more conscious about ourselves, more aware of what our thoughts are -> We get a better understanding of what is right and wrong -> When we start implementing in our actions, we realize the beauty of the creation of Al-khaliq even in an insect, in the nature, in everything [Takes you a step closer to Allah(SWT), doesn't it? :) ] -> Next, when things go bad and we go sad, we pour our tears & forget our cheers!! We understand(a little part)the design of Allah(SWT), we start accepting that Ar-Razzaq would never let us down & HE(SWT) knows what is best for us. Indeed HE is best of planners. :)

We think at times, WHY ME?? WHY THIS HAPPENS TO US? & all those WHY? WHY? WHY? But as time goes, we realize that whatever happened was for the best. A lesson well learnt. "If" we look back, analyse and reflect on what happened and why it happened.

Let the wind blow a little,
Let the sun glow a little,
Let the time teach a little,
Let the wounds heal a little,
Maybe then maybe,
You might understand HIS plans a little.​

Seems like I got a bit poetic :p LOL.! Philosophy is always welcomed from my side. Please correct me if am wrong.
Peace.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

I personally feel submission is a state of constancy in God consciousness in every single unit of time. Further by observations/experiences I feel submission is an ideal state and there is no absolute submission. But yes,we can strive InshaAllah with every act,vision,decision,feeling etc to enhance our degree of submission.

When I reverted to Islam I always looked for ideal Muslims,those ideal in every aspect of life but I didn't find anyone perfectly abiding by commandments of Allah (SWT) and to the way of our Prophet (SAW). I was bit disappointed and depressed. But as my journey within Islam advanced I found myself a very weak Muslim and weaker than masses.

May Allah (SWT) strengthen our Imaan.

Regards.