What is the diff between......

alyssa

Convert
What is the difference between a born Muslim and a Convert?

Hi guys:

First of all I would like to say congratulations to the born Muslims. It took me hell and back for me to get my religion, so I must say BOY! are you guys lucky!!! Also congrats to all reverts and converts! May Allah be pleased with All of us!

Here are your advantages over someone like me:

1- You get to see the religion since you where born
2- You have a mom and dad to teach you the basics.
3- If you have a question you have resources to get answers
4- You have centers of worship (Mosques and Masjid near you)
5- You have halal food
6- You know what brotherhood and sisterhood mean from the get go
7- You stay in the state that Allah made you to worship
8- You have books written in your language that explain things
9- Your friends and family are already Muslim
10- you can eat with your friends and family

Here is what I had to go through

1- I had to fight with my teeth to even worship (YOU GUYS D NOT EVEN WANT TO KNOW)

2- I had to learn everything from books

3- I had no mom and dad that where Muslim so even going to the bathroom I had to learn on my own.

4- To wear my Hijab I had to fight my self and my own internal struggle and I had to fight my family, my boss and then my friends

5- I ate rice for a whole year, because I did not have halal food to eat.

6- Still finding halal food I had to read many many books and still need to travel far to get something to eat. SO PEOPLE PLEASE APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!

7- I have to discern based on What I read what is Islamic and What is not. I have been reading ever single day since I converted and I found myself to be ignorant....

8- My GOD I would love to hear the Azan... All I have is a computer that tells me when to pray... You Guys are so freaking Lucky!!!! I am missing Turkey so much now!

9- I had to learn other languages partly because I want to make friends but also so I can learn about the Quran to compare what has been translated...You guys need to know that is hard for us to find books that are not biased....

10- Your family is Muslim.... with that I have said it all. It is hard to seat with your parents to eat and know that they might have thrown a dash of pork in your meal. LOL so I usually eat fish and things like that over there and invite them here to eat.

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE THANKFUL TO ALLAH!!!!

PLEASE LEARN YOUR DEEN, DO NOT ENGAGE IN INNOVATION!!!!

Follow the Sunnah and the Quran... do not engage in Haram and be Thankful!!!

SUBHANNAH ALLAH, ELHAMDULLILAH, ALLAHU AKBAR. I AM HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!! EXTREMLY HAPPY FOR ME TOO~ WE ARE MUSLIMS!

I love Allah, I love Islam... and if I had to do this all over again... I would! I am so happy you guys... I am so so so happy words can not express the joy in my heart! I lost my brother I made millions of brothers and sisters around the world!!!

Elhamdulillah I am Muslim!

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,
May Allah reward you abundantly and continually help you in your efforts in coming closer to Him azza wa jal. After reading your post, i feel guilty in not giving sufficient thanks, and i never will be able to, in being brought up with a blessed parents, may Allah grant them jannat al firdaus, who were upon Islam, the path of Tawhid; Alhamdulillah.

Plainly, we take things for granted, and your post, as well as the struggle of other reverts, always make me greatful to Allah. But in the same instance, i am in admiration at the emaan and patience (the two go together of course) that you brothers and sisters show, in virtually becoming alienated from your own households, but surely alienation to the world and all that it contains is more dear if it results in the acquaintance of Allah, the Merciful, the Beneficent, the Wise. May Allah keep us all steadfast.

However, there are definite struggles within seemingly 'muslim' households, as the definition of being a Muslim varies, at its most pitiful level being an 'inherited culture'. Therefore, some 'born muslims' have to battle a whole family who have eroded their Islamic identity over time, yet postulate monoply over the religion and its understanding due to they being older. This makes it hard for the conscious muslim, who desires to remove the veils of decadence from his/her surroundings, as the 'other born muslim' seems to have confidence in their 'Islam', though loosely and peripherally practised it may be. This life is a struggle for everyone, as Allah says he would certainly test us through various means, even if we attest to His Oneness.

I agree with you, one has to be careful where knowledge is sought, as even the most ignorant people wear the robes of the people of knowledge, fooling the people into their mischief. May Allah help us all in our journey to Him azza wa jal, and grant us jannah.
Wassalaam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
huh I'm a convert and I have mosques around me, I can get halal food (i'm talking about in Canada not Syria) mashAllah, I have Muslim family (my husband's family is mine too), I'm not deprived because I wasn't born a Muslim. Any Muslim who moves to a small town will encounter these problems whether they are a born Muslim or not. A born Muslim isn't just from middle eastern or Asian countries, we have born Muslims who are from America, Canada, England ect and this makes their first language English.
I don't want us converts to be wrongly sterotyped and felt sorry for.
:wasalam:
P.S. I know you from somewhere

s 091

Hi I agree with both statements it isnt easy when you are not born muslim and you want to convert but have a family that is none muslims and have said that if you convert they will disown you, it is not easy because when all is all this is your mother the person who gave birth to you and has cared for you all of your life. But on the other hand why should people feel pity for us it is our choice to follow the path which we have chosen. When you know that it is the right path for you it isnt a choice at all is it. I know that some day my family will come round to the idea, I have been putting doing my shahada off for a long time becauase my family had expressed how much they dissaproved of the idea but it finally clicked in my head that this is my life and if i do not do this one thing that i want to do i will be sinning against myself for a lifetime and never will be truly happy or know what a peaceful life is. as for the fact that you have no near means of purchasing halal meat that is a strain but you have to do what you have to do dont you. Luckily i have halal butchers close to me and also mosques. But saying that i have butchers close i still buy in bulk and then freeze my meat.

habib786

Mashallah sister....you take ur deen so seriously ....... i admire you for your will power to seek the truth May Allah have mercy on you and guide you .......... i live in a non-muslim country and we never get to hear adhan its only in the month of ramadan but that too not very clearly .... but i thank Allah so very much for giving me birth in a muslim family ... I'm so proud to be muslim .......... but not that all born muslims are lucky ... i know many who don't take islam seriously and also alhumdurillah a lot of dawah is taking place to bring back brothers ....... i sometimes also take part in dawah work ... May Allah accept my good intentions ..... i would say you are very lucky.. Allah showed you the light ...... mashallah .. May Allah grant you the highest heaven................ take care and be safe.....

Allahu akbar

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum sister Alyssa!

Mashallah, your post gave me more inspiration and also made me aware of the things that I have been taking forgranted.

All I can say is I am proud of you sister.

Don't forget, your struggles are recorded with Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and HE is the best of payers.

Wassalamu alaike

Food for thought....

Salaam,

Mahshallah sister!

It's reverts like yourself that have a tremendous impact on born Muslims. It's a blessing to be a Muslim. Thank you so much for sharing this deep self-reflection.

syahidah2112

wanna be shalehah
Subhanallah Alhamdulillah Allahu akbar

Alyssa, I envy you. Really!!! Because you found the truth of Islam by yourself. struggle for something you believe. Alhamdulillah.

I myself was born as muslim because my father and mother are muslims. But I think, so many people were born as muslim but they dont practice Islam. They do not pray, they drink alcohol, they dont wear hijab, etc. It's not important, we born as muslim or we convert. The most important thing is that we believe in Allah, believe in Rasulullah Muhammad, and then practice Allah's laws and rules, as the consequence of our testimony. We practice Islam as our way of life (minhajul hayyah).

Allah will never neglect our efforts. So, dont need to worry.

Am I right? If there is something wrong, please correct it.

syahidah2112 :hijabi:

Abel213

I was born into a Muslim family and I WISH they would practice it the way the OP described. Most of the people in my family despise Islam and think its a backward religion. The young ones are the worst, they HATE Islam. They will take any opportunity possible to make Islam look bad and make annoying/sarcastic remarks about it in your face. The elders have some respect for Islam, but most of them don't like it either. They bought into this liberal/feminist ideas and you can see the effect it has on them(widespread illegal drug use, depression, everyones divorced, etc).

Converts typically have families that are really small. "Muslim" extended families have like 30-50 people in them and its great if they are all into Islam, but if they are against Islam than you will go crazy. They will try to ruin your life.

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Salaams, I am a revert but i want to be positive here and say why its great to be a revert, alhamdulilah!

1) Taking shahadah meant our sins were forgiven....born muslims do not have this right. So whatever stupid stuff we did growing up has been forgiven...:ma:

2) Learning about Islam.....makes life so much more special! I learn somethign new everyday! I didn't feel this way about my old religion!

3) Wearing hijab....yeah it was hard, but hey its great when you make the achievemnet of pinning your scarf correctly and when people say 'Masha Allah' to you

4) Eating halal food.... halal doesn't only mean eating what is permitted, you are no longer eating dirty pork, or drinking alcohol that distorts your thinking and makes you behave wrongly. isn't that a good thing, knowing you are obeying your Lord?

5) Learning the basics...there is a whole wonderful Islamic community out there and kind & caring brothers and sisters who are eager to teach you the basics! By gettign involved in the community you learn more and make lots of new friends who are in the deen!

6) Family....okay your biological family aren't muslim, neither were most of the Sahabas' families, and we all know the hardships they went through for Islam. However when you marry Insha Allah you will get a lovely muslim family! Also your sister and brothers can be found at the mosque....the UMMAH is family!

7) Being ignorant....seeking knowledge is part of being a revert. We are seeking the truth, we will learn the correct ways and read the sources from where rulings come from. Born muslims are told by mum and dad, this is how its done, when they could be influenced by culture rather than the Qu'ran

And that concludes why its good to be a revert! :)

Saidsaad

Selam,

As a revert to Islam myself, the biggest piont I've noticed is that many born muslims start to take a good hard look at how they live their life as a muslim. I'll never forget last year when I was on holiday in Tunisia, many locals had never seen a revert muslim from the west reciting the koran. One young muslim man said to me " I wish I could be like you". He worked in a bar near to the hotels, maybe one day he will find a deeper iman within himself inshallah.

alyssa

Convert
huh I'm a convert and I have mosques around me, I can get halal food (i'm talking about in Canada not Syria) mashAllah, I have Muslim family (my husband's family is mine too), I'm not deprived because I wasn't born a Muslim. Any Muslim who moves to a small town will encounter these problems whether they are a born Muslim or not. A born Muslim isn't just from middle eastern or Asian countries, we have born Muslims who are from America, Canada, England ect and this makes their first language English.
I don't want us converts to be wrongly sterotyped and felt sorry for.
:wasalam:
P.S. I know you from somewhere
Sorry sis. I did not write this article. A friend did and her family disowned her (mine are not happy and hold it against me).

amrabo

Sorry sister I have a very important comment
converting to islam and taking shahada means also converting our sins to good deeds.
Reverts to Islam means Tawba and ALLAH never forbid the reverted muslims

amjaddamen

brother
dear sisters &brothers
as born arab muslim, it took me alot of time to embarrass islam as i took it for granted.but alhamed leallah iam going ok now ( i think ).
your words are coming out of your heart , it touching realy, but remember this :
hard work always pays off
and thanks alot to remind us of our allah blessings

amjaddamen

brother
daer sister
as i go through your reply i was laughing , do you know why ?
beacuse even a squalor would not think of such excellant reasons.
gd bless you all

amjaddamen

brother
sorry last post was meant to Rosheen

Salaams, I am a revert but i want to be positive here and say why its great to be a revert, alhamdulilah!

1) Taking shahadah meant our sins were forgiven....born muslims do not have this right. So whatever stupid stuff we did growing up has been forgiven...:ma:

2) Learning about Islam.....makes life so much more special! I learn somethign new everyday! I didn't feel this way about my old religion!

3) Wearing hijab....yeah it was hard, but hey its great when you make the achievemnet of pinning your scarf correctly and when people say 'Masha Allah' to you

4) Eating halal food.... halal doesn't only mean eating what is permitted, you are no longer eating dirty pork, or drinking alcohol that distorts your thinking and makes you behave wrongly. isn't that a good thing, knowing you are obeying your Lord?

5) Learning the basics...there is a whole wonderful Islamic community out there and kind & caring brothers and sisters who are eager to teach you the basics! By gettign involved in the community you learn more and make lots of new friends who are in the deen!

6) Family....okay your biological family aren't muslim, neither were most of the Sahabas' families, and we all know the hardships they went through for Islam. However when you marry Insha Allah you will get a lovely muslim family! Also your sister and brothers can be found at the mosque....the UMMAH is family!

7) Being ignorant....seeking knowledge is part of being a revert. We are seeking the truth, we will learn the correct ways and read the sources from where rulings come from. Born muslims are told by mum and dad, this is how its done, when they could be influenced by culture rather than the Qu'ran

And that concludes why its good to be a revert! :)

shari

Brother
Dear Sister!

Sister i am very happy for you that you found the truth.
    • I am a born Muslim 25 years old and after reading your post i was ashamed of my self that still i can't read The Holy Quran (in Arabic) fluently.
    • It was very hard for me to keep a beard ( still not big enough, but having one is better that not having) I was under intense pressure from my family (who are also born Muslims) against it.
    • We do have Mosques here everywhere in Pakistan ( Allah forgive me) I use to hear Azan but never used to offer Salah ( Except Jumah Salah).
    • Yes books were available in Urdu but thirst of knowing real Islam was never there.
    • Yes my friends were Muslims but like me non-practicing.

This was me a born Muslim living in a Muslim Country.

But then Thanks to Allah Almighty , One of my Uncle (Father's brother) is Scholar of Islam ( Alim-e-Din) and once i was with him and he took hold of me and my life started to change.

Now i do offer Salah , I have Kept beard but still not fluent in reciting The Holy Quran.

I totally understand all your problems because my two younger brothers are living in Australia and eating Halal in Non-Muslim country i a big job in its self.

I still thanks Allah Almighty a lot for his blessing on me that i am a born Muslim because sometimes I think what if i was born in a Non-Muslim family may be i would have never found truth and had gone to Hell for ever and ever.

You are right all of above is the reason why we Muslims are in such a problems now a day. i fully guarantee if we start to follow full Islam Allah will make us Successful not only in Afterlife but in this life also.

And you all pray for me so that i become a good Muslim like you all and i do Dawa and i offer all Fard and i stay away from all Haram.

Your Brother

Talha Yousaf

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Dear sister Alyssa and all reverts,

I understand the suffering a revet has to face, I really do. And i sincerely hope and pray for Allah to make it easier for you and me, And help us all stay on the right path.
But it is not always true that all of those who are born as muslims are lucky, Specially those who have parents who do not practice islam as they should.

Some of those who are born as muslims, Spent most of thier youth far away from Allah and islam. Therefor, They will have to spend the rest of thier lives making it up for what they have sined. Sadly some of them may die without having a chance to even pray one Raka'a, When others may have a chance at a later age to find the right path and correct thier lives and embrace islam as if they never were muslims.

My father studied islamic science, He was specialized in Fiqh, But he never tought me anything about islam, except once when i was young and he made me read afew verses from the Holy Quran.
And i only started to care about islam at the age of 29 years old.

As for a revert, Once he or she reverts to islam, All of his/her sins before that will be forgiven. As if he/she has just been born.

What i want to say is that one should not compare between his sufferings and the sufferings of others, For each one of us has his/her own fait written in Al-Lauh Al-Mahfudh (The Preserved Tablet).
Instead, It is better to turn to Allah and ask him to make it easier for oneself and others. Because it is only by his willing - The Almighty - for good things or bad things to happen to us.