What is the difference between...

Waseem203

Young Muslim
:salam2:

I was wondering what the difference is when we say the Arabic word "sama'a" (heaven) and samawat (plural of sama'a, heavens) In the Quran, when it talks about the seven heavens is it referring to the atmosphere which is divided into 7 parts or layers or is that talking about the whole Universe? Or..is sama'a talking about the sky above is or the entire universe? I can't tell, but if sama'a is talking about the entire universe then we have an astonishing scientific fact.

51:47
With power did We construct the heaven. Verily, We are it's Expanders

(inna la musi'oon)

But the word Sama'a is used, I cant tell if its talking about the sky or the universe. The universe kinda makes sense to me, since the sky isn't expanding. However, im also leaning to say sama'a in this context means Universe because of a verse in chapter 21.

The Day that we roll up the heavens like a scroll rolled up for books (completed)― even as We produced the first Creation, so shall We produce a new one: a promise We have undertaken: truly shall We fulfil it. (104)

It's talking about the end of the World and the word sama'aa is used. Since its referring to all of creation, i'd trust it refers to the Universe.

Anyway, any opinions would be welcome :)

:wasalam: