What Kellogs say about Gelatin in their products....

:salam2:
What Kellogs say about Gelatin in their products....

Response from Consumer Affairs Department of Kellogs

Thank you for your inquiry regarding gelatin used in some of our products. We are glad you contacted us and we are happy to provide you with this information.

Gelatin is used to help the texture of the product and is derived from either beef or pork. All gelatin used at Kellogg is certified Kosher.

Gelatin derived from pork is found in Kellogg's(r) cereal products that contain marshmallow additives, for example Kellogg's(r) Marshmallow Froot Loops cereal and Kellogg's Smorz(r) cereal. It is also found in all varieties of Kellogg's(r) Rice Krispies Treats(r) Squares and Special K(r) Protein Snack Bars.

Gelatin derived from beef is found in all varieties of Kellogg's(r) Frosted Pop-Tarts(r), Kellogg's(r) Frosted Mini-Wheats(r) cereal, and Kellogg's(r) Rice Krispies TreatsT cereal. None of the equipment that comes in contact with the gelatin in Kellogg's(r) Frosted Pop-Tarts(r) is used in the production of the other pastries. As a result, Plain (unfrosted) Kellogg's(r) Pop-Tarts(r) do not contain gelatin. The pre-gelatinized wheat starch contained in some of our toaster pastries is derived from wheat and does not contain any gelatin.

All Kellogg's(r) fruit snacks contain gelatin. In fruit snacks beef and pork gelatin are used interchangeably based on availability in the marketplace.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your loyal use of our products and hope that this provides you with the information you need to make food choices appropriate for you and your family.

Sincerely,
Grace De La Cruz

Informative, but...
Since when is pork 'Kosher'...?!

because the ruling they had is that if the material is cooked it changed it's form and structure of the product.

there are even muslims accepting this idea.

I just keep away from these.

kosher does not equal halal always.

I could be wrong about my statement, but that is what I understood.

:wasalam:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I've been researching this stuff for the past few days.. and came to the conclusion that kosher gelatin is definitely not halaal.

Sister Sarahlou sent me this link about it, and hopefully it will benefit, inshallah:

http://www.muslimtents.com/aminahsworld/Is_kosher_halal.html

So basically, a product could be labelled kosher, but still contain pork or other animal enzymes. The more I'm researching, the more I'm seeing things we cannot eat. :(

Innallaha ma'a saabreen... :)

Here's an idea. I'm still relatively new to the USA, and can't implement this idea right now, but the more we bombard companies with phone calls and letters about this matter, the more they are likely to listen to us.

There is kosher food certification. Can we not get a Halaal Food Certification on American products? Let's try! At least, we can try and stop companies from using animal enzymes in their food, if we stop eating non-zabiha stuff, right?

What does everyone say? Come on. If Islam is to spead all over the world one day, this is the only way to begin. One step at a time....

hana*

why do they have to include gelatin and alcohol in everything nowadays :( the other day i was eating a chocolate croissant and by chance i looked at the ingredients, to my shock i read 'alcohol' in the ingredients! just as well i had only taken one bit, which i spat out.

hana*

I've been researching this stuff for the past few days.. and came to the conclusion that kosher gelatin is definitely not halaal.

Sister Sarahlou sent me this link about it, and hopefully it will benefit, inshallah:

http://www.muslimtents.com/aminahsworld/Is_kosher_halal.html

So basically, a product could be labelled kosher, but still contain pork or other animal enzymes. The more I'm researching, the more I'm seeing things we cannot eat. :(

Innallaha ma'a saabreen... :)

Here's an idea. I'm still relatively new to the USA, and can't implement this idea right now, but the more we bombard companies with phone calls and letters about this matter, the more they are likely to listen to us.

There is kosher food certification. Can we not get a Halaal Food Certification on American products? Let's try! At least, we can try and stop companies from using animal enzymes in their food, if we stop eating non-zabiha stuff, right?

What does everyone say? Come on. If Islam is to spead all over the world one day, this is the only way to begin. One step at a time....

i totally agree with you sis tabassum, if alot of people pressure these companies they will do something about this, they will stop using such ingredients, as they will come to realise that alot of muslims will stop using their products, affecting their sales.

ShyHijabi

I can 100% gaurantee you if something is really kosher it contains 0% pork. If they tell you it is kosher and yet also has pork they committing fraud.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
But sis Shyhijabi, but that's the deal with yoplait yogurt, isn't it? Othewise, why else would muslimconsumergroup.com deem in haraam? It says kosher gelatin in the ingredients, so the only reason is if it has pork in it.

Its so confusing. Most of all, because now they're not even writing on the ingredients, but their cheeses and stuff is being mixed up from a lot of sources so its all questionable.

I'm really confused. YOu can all tell, right? :)

purefaith012

I dont know but..

BismLLAH..

Umm..I don't know the answer for this question, but since I was small, ummi doesn't allow all of my siblings to eat anything related to Kellog's..she said it contains something that is not soleh (not halal)..I think when it comes to a question like this, it would be the best to just prevent ourselves from it.. is it extreme to say that it is in the position of 'syubhah'? Honestly in Malaysia we have a text or SMS line to our Halal Deputy Food to check whether the food we are checking on is registered or not with the Halal Deputy..we can just text them anytime, anywhere..it helps a lot..

I hope I'm helping..

WALLAHu a'lamu bissawab..

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
everybody loves kelloggs :D

That may be, but it doesn't matter if there's pork in it.

Honestly, its so strange that food companies are adding in "kosher" pork. I even read a Jewish Rabbi question-and-answer website where he was denouncing yoplait yogurt and other 'kosher gelatin' foodstuffs, claiming that a product says "kosher gelatin" yet doesn't have a K on it.