What Quran is trying to Teach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello there,

Hate is not good for any person if you are one of those who hate muslims. I want to assure you that we Muslims also do not hate non-Muslims, be they Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhist or followers of any religion or no religion. Our religions does not allow killing any innocent person regardless of his or her religion. The life of all human beings is sacrosanct according to the teachings of the Qur'an and the guidance of our blessed Prophet Muhammad -peace be upon him and upon all the Prophets and Messengers of Allah.

The Qur'an says about the prohibition of murder,
وَلاَ تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ
"..Take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that ye may learn wisdom." (al-An'am 6:151)

and Allah says in the Qur'an,
وَلاَ تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ وَمَنْ قُتِلَ مَظْلُومًا فَقَدْ جَعَلْنَا لِوَلِيِّهِ سُلْطَانًا فَلاَ يُسْرِفْ فِي الْقَتْلِ إِنَّهُ كَانَ مَنصُورًا
"Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, We have given his heir authority (to demand Qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the law)" (al-Isra' 17:33)

According to the Qur'an, killing any person without a just cause is as big a sin as killing the whole humanity and saving the life of one person is as good deed as saving the whole humanity. (See al-Ma'idah 5:32)

However, your question is valid then how come the Qur'an says,
"kill them wherever you find them..." as it is mentioned in Surah al-Baqarah 2:191 and Surah al-Nisa' 4:89. The answer is simple and that is you should read these verses in their textual and historical context. You should read the whole verse and it is better that you read few verses before and few after.
Read the full text and see what is said:
وَقَاتِلُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ الَّذِينَ يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ وَلاَ تَعْتَدُوا إِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْمُعْتَدِينَ وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ ثَقِفْتُمُوهُمْ وَأَخْرِجُوهُمْ مِنْ حَيْثُ أَخْرَجُوكُمْ وَالْفِتْنَةُ أَشَدُّ مِنْ الْقَتْلِ وَلاَ تُقَاتِلُوهُمْ عِنْدَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ حَتَّى يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ فِيهِ فَإِنْ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فَاقْتُلُوهُمْ كَذَلِكَ جَزَاءُ الْكَافِرِينَ فَإِنْ انتَهَوْا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ وَقَاتِلُوهُمْ حَتَّى لاَ تَكُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَيَكُونَ الدِّينُ لِلَّهِ فَإِنْ انتَهَوْا فَلاَ عُدْوَانَ إِلاَّ عَلَى الظَّالِمِينَ الشَّهْرُ الْحَرَامُ بِالشَّهْرِ الْحَرَامِ وَالْحُرُمَاتُ قِصَاصٌ فَمَنْ اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ فَاعْتَدُوا عَلَيْهِ بِمِثْلِ مَا اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ
"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors. And kill them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, kill them. Such is the reward of those who reject faith. But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression. The prohibited month, for the prohibited month, and so for all things prohibited, there is the law of equality. If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, transgress ye likewise against him. But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves." (al-Baqarah 2:190-194)

For your quotation also read the full text:
وَدُّوا لَوْ تَكْفُرُونَ كَمَا كَفَرُوا فَتَكُونُونَ سَوَاءً فَلاَ تَتَّخِذُوا مِنْهُمْ أَوْلِيَاءَ حَتَّى يُهَاجِرُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَإِنْ تَوَلَّوْا فَخُذُوهُمْ وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ وَجَدْتُمُوهُمْ وَلاَ تَتَّخِذُوا مِنْهُمْ وَلِيًّا وَلاَ نَصِيرًا إِلاَّ الَّذِينَ يَصِلُونَ إِلَى قَوْمٍ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَهُمْ مِيثَاقٌ أَوْ جَاءُوكُمْ حَصِرَتْ صُدُورُهُمْ أَنْ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ أَوْ يُقَاتِلُوا قَوْمَهُمْ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ لَسَلَّطَهُمْ عَلَيْكُمْ فَلَقَاتَلُوكُمْ فَإِنْ اعْتَزَلُوكُمْ فَلَمْ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ وَأَلْقَوْا إِلَيْكُمْ السَّلَمَ فَمَا جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ عَلَيْهِمْ سَبِيلاً سَتَجِدُونَ آخَرِينَ يُرِيدُونَ أَنْ يَأْمَنُوكُمْ وَيَأْمَنُوا قَوْمَهُمْ كُلَّ مَا رُدُّوا إِلَى الْفِتْنَةِ أُرْكِسُوا فِيهَا فَإِنْ لَمْ يَعْتَزِلُوكُمْ وَيُلْقُوا إِلَيْكُمْ السَّلَمَ وَيَكُفُّوا أَيْدِيَهُمْ فَخُذُوهُمْ وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ ثَقِفْتُمُوهُمْ وَأُوْلَئِكُمْ جَعَلْنَا لَكُمْ عَلَيْهِمْ سُلْطَانًا مُبِينًا
"They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): so take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (from what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks. Except those who join a group between whom and you there is a treaty (Of peace), or those who approach you with hearts restraining them from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. If Allah had pleased, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you: therefore if they withdraw from you but fight you not, and (instead) send you (guarantees of) peace, then Allah hath opened no way for you (to war against them). Others you will find that wish to gain your confidence as well as that of their people: every time they are sent back to temptation, they succumb thereto; if they withdraw not from you nor give you (guarantees) of peace besides restraining their hands, seize them and slay them wherever ye get them; in their case We have provided you with a clear argument against them. (Al-Nisa' 4:89-91)

Now tell me honestly, do these verses give a free permission to kill any one any where? These verses were revealed by Allah to Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allah Ta'ala Alaihi Wa Salam) at the time when Muslims were attacked by the non-Muslims of Makkah on a regular basis. They were frightening the Muslim community of Madinah. One may say using the contemporary jargon that there were constant terrorist attacks on Madinah and in this situation Muslims were given permission to fight back the "terrorist". These verses are not a permission for "terrorism" but they are a warning against the "terrorists." But even in these warnings you can see how much restraint and care is emphasized.

It is important that we study the religious texts in their proper context. When these texts are not read in their proper textual and historical contexts they are manipulated and distorted. It is true that some Muslims manipulate these verses for their own goals. But this is not only with Islamic texts, it is also true with the texts of other religions. I can quote dozens of verses from the Bible which seem very violent, if taken out from their historical context. These Biblical texts have been used by many violent Jewish and Christian groups. Crusaders used them against Muslims and Jews. Nazis used them against Jews. Recently Serbian Christians used them against Bosnian Muslims. Zionists are using them regularly against Palestinians.

Let me mention just a few verses from the Old Testament and New Testament and tell me what do you say about them:

"When the LORD your God brings you into the land where you are entering to possess it, and clears away many nations before you, the Hittites and the Girgashites and the Amorites and the Canaanites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and stronger than you. And when the LORD your God delivers them before you and you defeat them, then you shall utterly destroy them. You shall make no covenant with them and show no favor to them. (Deutronomy 7:1-2)

"When you approach a city to fight against it, you shall offer it terms of peace. If it agrees to make peace with you and opens to you, then all the people who are found in it shall become your forced labor and shall serve you. However, if it does not make peace with you, but makes war against you, then you shall besiege it. When the LORD your God gives it into your hand, you shall strike all the men in it with the edge of the sword. Only the women and the children and the animals and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourself; and you shall use the spoil of your enemies which the LORD your God has given you... Only in the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes (Deutronomy 20:10-17)
Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, sparefor yourselves. (Numbers 31:17-18)

Even in the New Testament we read the following statement attributed to Jesus saying to his disciples:

"I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence. (Luke 19:26-27)

samiha

---------
Staff member
Wa alaykum assalam.

I am only taking one part of this whole big thing. I am no scholar so I will not interpret verses of the Holy Quran, i have not enough knowledge to do so. So I am taking this from the Tafsir of Ibn Kathir (with my words)

If you look at Surah at-Tawbah Ayah no. 28 the English translation goes:

{O you who believe! Verily the Mushrikin are impure. So let them not come near Al-Masjid al- Haram after this year; and if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you if He wills, out of His bounty. Surely Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise}

{29. Fight against those who believe not against Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth among the People of the Scripture, until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.}

So here you see that it is a historical point. At this time, the Muslims were commanded to expel the idolaters (who are impure in the religious sense that their concept is very skewed) from Masjid al- Haram. This was in the ninth year of Hijrah. So the Messenger of Allah :saw: sent Ali (RA) in the company of Abu Bakr (RA) to publicize that fact to the people.

Muhammad bin Ishaq commented, “The people said, ‘Our markets will be closed, our commerce disrupted, and what we earned will vanish.’ So Allah revealed this verse,

{and if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you} from other resources,

{ if He wills } until ….

{ and feel themselves subdued }

This Ayah means, ‘this will be your compensation for the closed markets that you feared would result.’ Therefore, the people were compensated for the losses they incurred because they severed ties with idolaters, by the Jizyah they earned from the People of the Book. (similar statements made by others)

That is not all of the text. There is much more in depth things, which I cannot type due to time constraints.

Also as was stated. If you don’t look beyond the pick and choose, you won’t see the essence of Islam. I suggest you get some good books and also take time to read about the basics of Islam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Verse is as follows, please quote in full and get some knowledge of Islam first, we are here to help sincere people. This Website is not For Debating or critisising Islam. You can go elsewhere and misinform people. This site is for Sincere people, willing to accept Islam as taught by Muslims, according to the Quran and the sunnah (the original teachings)!

This is the full verses from the quran :

"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not do aggression, for Allah loves not the aggressors. Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers." (Al-Baqarah 190-194)

---------------------------------------------------------------
A compilation of core Islamic sources, from the Quran and the Hadith highlighting Islam's call for Justice, Mercy and Love for life.

SOURCE: WWW.TURNTOISLAM.COM

Jihad in Islam

Jihad does not mean "holy war". (Thats something the Christians did in the Middle Ages). The Word Jihad actually stems from Juhd, to strive/struggle. This is encouraged and can be for anything to please God. It is a jihad to get up in the morning to go to pray and to go to work, it is a jihad to go school in the rain. etc.

Personal Jihad: The most excellent jihad is that of the soul. This jihad, called the Jihadun-Nafs, is the intimate struggle to purify the soul of satanic influence--both subtle and overt. It is the struggle to cleanse one's spirit of sin. This is the most important level of jihad.

Verbal Jihad: On another occasion, the Prophet said, "The most excellent jihad is the speaking of truth in the face of a tyrant." He encouraged raising one's voice in the name of Allah on behalf of justice.

Physical Jihad: This is combat waged in defense of Muslims against oppression and transgression by the enemies of Allah, Islam and Muslims. We are commanded by Allah to lead peaceful lives and not transgress against anyone, but also to defend ourselves against oppression by "fighting against those who fight against us." This "jihad with the hand" is the aspect of jihad that has been so profoundly misunderstood in today's world.

In the Quran, Jihad is not used in a sense to mean fighting. The Word Qitaal is used when mentioning warfare. The Quran makes it clear:

"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not do aggression, for Allah loves not the aggressors. Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers." (Al-Baqarah 190-194)

Jihad can be defensive. Such as protecting our homes, people, land and way of life. It can be Liberating, helping free others from tyranny and oppression and it can be preemptive which is launched only when Muslims know for sure that there is treason against their peaceful treaties with the enemy, when the enemy has a serious plan to attack them.

SOURCE: WWW.TURNTOISLAM.COM - Evidences

Also >

Read This: Terrorism and the Oppression of Women Has Nothing to Do With True Islam.

Fundamental Beliefs in Islam Tawheed and Aqeedah

Complete Section:
Terrorism Not From Islam

C

callmetosmile

Let's take the next two verses into consideration (Translated by Yusuf Ali):

2:217) They ask thee concerning fighting in the prohibited month, say: "Fighting therein is a grave (offence); But graver is it in the sight in Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members. Tumult and oppresion are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; They will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein. 218) Those who believed and those who suffered exil and fought (and strove and struggled) in the path of Allah - they have the hope of the Mercy of Allah: And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

The offences are listed as people who block anyone from finding Allah and who oppresses those who seek Allah. See verse 218... it specifically mentions fighting for the sake of Allah... this does not mean that you fight and say that Allah has willed it but you only fight if someone is trying to physically force you to stay away from Allah.

CAn you just tell me-- how can a human block someone from finding God. and can you show me how was muhammad oppressed? and why should humans fight for God? can't GOD do tht on his own? i think God should fight for us.. who is powerful god or Humans?

lets assume that i blocked some people from finding Allah and iam oppressing those who seek allah-- if Allah is true can i block the truth? then why should some other muslim come and fight for allah? no one can stop Him!! then why should you guys fight?See also 2:190) Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; For Allah loveth not transgressors.

And 2:193) And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; But if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression.

Unfortunately I can't find a verse right away that says that if you can forgive, then that is much better than fighting... hopefully someone else can find a verse like that to supplement this.

God/allah should say only one- -- God shoulld not talk in two toungues! he will not say if you can forgive forgive else kill him.. that is the way a humn talks not God almighty!

The point is that Muslims are NOT commanded to fight just for fighting's sake. Only if you are harmed or feel you will be harmed is it deemed necessary, but there are many rules applied to this to avoid actions such as the terrorists that are "fighting in the name of Allah" but I question if they really have a strong idea of who Allah really is and what they should be standing for if they do so in the name of Allah.

its not the fault of Terrorists.. its the fault of Quran/Allah-- Allah stand is not clear! you yourself say-- if you feel you will be harmed you can kill-- thats very horrible-- we humans fear a lot-- just by feeling you can't kill someone?

Surah 2 (Al Baqarah) does have the majority of the verses that relate to Jihad, war and the like so if you are confused about what halal and what isn't, this is a good place to start.

iam not confused buddy? Allah is! when you say Allah is merciful and peace-- Allah should say forgive pagan if they attack you-- and I(allah) will take care of them.

The Qur'an should be understood as a complete document and not have pieces of it taken out unless it can be explained fully by the whole Qur'an to get the full understanding.
i know Quran with refernce to the life of muhammad-- it was muhaamad who attacked, not the pagans-- so your claim that fighting in self defence is totaly flase:SMILY303:

Please don't claim that islam is PEACE. every human will be good to those who are Good with him-- but its great when you can be good to those who are bad to you- and that is PEACE:wasalam:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Durriyyah

Forever Student
CAn you just tell me-- how can a human block someone from finding God. and can you show me how was muhammad oppressed? and why should humans fight for God? can't GOD do tht on his own? i think God should fight for us.. who is powerful god or Humans?

lets assume that i blocked some people from finding Allah and iam oppressing those who seek allah-- if Allah is true can i block the truth? then why should some other muslim come and fight for allah? no one can stop Him!! then why should you guys fight?

:salam2:

This will be my last post as I can tell that this is just turning into a word game with no real point in really learning.

If you learn the history of the Arab Pagans, they forced the Muslims out of their mosque and fought them in numerous ways. Let's say a Christian tries to go to church on Sunday and they find that the Jewish people in their neighborhood took it over and said they are not allowed to enter. Also, um... let's not forget the Holocaust... was that not oppression for a person's religious belief??

There are many ways and scare tactics to force someone to say that they don't follow a certain path... history has shown this over and over.

:wasalam:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
There's no point in arguing with you if you choose to dismiss everything we say as false. We have given you proof, where is your counter claim? This is pointless as it's clear that the only reason you are here is to try and fault our religion.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
like sarcasm?

Oh mai googles, CallMeToSmile is totally right! I don't know what I was ever thinking, believing in a God of consequence, moral absolutes, or justice! I'm gunna go back to worshipping Jesus Christ... NOT! Bahaha

::yawn:: Oh look, another one of these. Love the logic, brilliant! I know that when I'm trying to teach someone something, I'll only ever use one line: Forget about fleshing out an entire lecture with direction or consequences - Let's pull out the one-liners!

You know, an 8 year old could just as easily pull out these one-liners from the Bible, which would show the true horror and injustice ::cough:: of the "Christian God" (and believe you me, there're plenty of these just as "bad" lines there) but frankly, I'm not 8 anymore. =)

Have yourself a good day.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah

I've already told how Muhammad :)saw:) was oppressed. Everyone (including non-Muslims) seem to know that Muhammad :)saw:) was oppressed by the Pagans.

And how can a human block someone from finding God? He/she can lie about God (like you are doing), he/she can stop all contact with the religion, etc.

lets assume that i blocked some people from finding Allah and iam oppressing those who seek allah-- if Allah is true can i block the truth? then why should some other muslim come and fight for allah? no one can stop Him!! then why should you guys fight?See also 2:190) Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; For Allah loveth not transgressors.

You can block the truth, as I have explained earlier. Also, why should someone else go fight for Allah? Because the people we fight are non-believers who try to kill us, and Allah won't be able to wipe them out without letting all the unbelievers know that He is God. So, he has us fight for Him so that we and others won't see Him clearly, thus removing all faith (and thus removing all sincere worship).

its not the fault of Terrorists.. its the fault of Quran/Allah-- Allah stand is not clear! you yourself say-- if you feel you will be harmed you can kill-- thats very horrible-- we humans fear a lot-- just by feeling you can't kill someone?

Allah's stand is quite clear - it's just that you don't want to accept it. And you are distorting the truth. You must know that you are going to be attacked before you can attack first.

iam not confused buddy? Allah is! when you say Allah is merciful and peace-- Allah should say forgive pagan if they attack you-- and I(allah) will take care of them.

You are confused. Allah is merciful, but He (much like Yahweh) will not let His people stand alone while humans (whose free will He won't bother with) will kill His people. You won't have time to forgive the Pagans if they attack you: you'd be dead (and it'll spread until all the Muslims are dead and Allah will have to send another Prophet).

i know Quran with refernce to the life of muhammad-- it was muhaamad who attacked, not the pagans-- so your claim that fighting in self defence is totaly flase

Have you completely ignored history when you wrote this? Study! Know that the Pagans tried to slaughter the Muslims! This is secular history, and you can ask any Atheist Historian and he will agree with me.

Please don't claim that islam is PEACE. every human will be good to those who are Good with him-- but its great when you can be good to those who are bad to you- and that is PEACE

Which is what Allah commands. Except Allah doesn't command that we sit by and watch people (and ourselves) be killed and wiped off the map. However, when it comes to the enemy NOT attacking you, we are ordered to try and make peace with them (and to love them).

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum and hi to the guest

I think this thread just showed that we do not want to go and do bad actions. We are not murderers or tyrants. We are Muslims and Allah has taught us how to behave.

Now, if you want to calm down and talk to us in a normal manner, then that is fine. THere is no need to go on a quest to try and fault our Quran and our Sunnah.

If you are sincere in learning about Islam, you are welcome. Otherwise, remember this is not a website made for people to spread their hatred and misinformation about Muslim people.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
If you continue and have not bothered to read the links that have been given earlier, you will be banned..

This thread is also evidence of our kindness and openess to others. THere are people in this thread, who just a few months ago were not even Muslim.

I think it is an insult to insist that we are taught to hate or to kill. You need to spend more time learning Islam from Muslim people, rather than reading misquotes and from people who teach hate.

The Links I gave earlier have all the evidence that is required.

But, here is a recap:

• Killing innocent Men, Women and Children is Forbidden
The use of Force is allowed in Islam. However, Islam lays down clear guidelines as to how warfare is carried out. It is not for anyone to take the law into their own hands.

Allah says in the Quran:

{Because of that We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone killed a person not in retaliation of murder, or (and) to spread mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all mankind, and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind. And indeed, there came to them Our Messengers with clear proofs, evidences, and signs, even then after that many of them continued to exceed the limits (e.g. by doing oppression unjustly and exceeding beyond the limits set by Allâh by committing the major sins) in the land!.} [ 5 : 32]

It is narrated by Ibn 'Umar that a woman was found killed in one of these battles; so the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) forbade the killing of women and children. (Sahih Al Bukhari Chapter : Prohibition of killing women and children in war.)

Narated By Rabah ibn Rabi' : When we were with the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) on an expedition, he saw some people collected together over something and sent a man and said: See, what are these people collected around? He then came and said: They are round a woman who has been killed. He said: This is not one with whom fighting should have taken place. Khalid ibn al-Walid was in charge of the van; so he sent a man and said: Tell Khalid not to kill a woman or a hired servant. (Sunan Abu Dawood)

Ibn `Umar (May Allah bepleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "A believer continues to guard his Faith (and thus hopes for Allah's Mercy) so long as he does not shed blood unjustly".
[Al-Bukhari].

• Beware of Enemies of Islam Hiding the Truth
There happen to be people who unfortunately relish in promoting ignorance and hatred towards Muslims. They play on the ignorance of others, by giving false information. For this reason it is always important to find out about Islam from true Islamic sources, such as this website.

These people often misquote the Quran. An example is when they quote the following verse out of context:

And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [2:191]

However, they do not quote the verse in its entirety and without establishing the facts surrounding these verses.

And fight in the Way of Allâh those who fight you, but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allâh likes not the transgressors.

And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [Trials, Persecution] is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Harâm (the sanctuary at Makkah),[unless they (first) fight you there.

But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.[2:190-191]

Allah and his Prophet :saw: forbid peopel from going to extremes.

The Messenger of Allaah (SAW) said, "I warn you of extremism in the Religion for indeed those that came before you were destroyed due to their extremism in the religion." Reported by an-Nasaa'ee (5/268), ibn Maajah (no. 3029), Ahmad (1/215, 347) with a saheeh sanad

"Thus have We Made of you an Ummah justly balanced" [Al-Baqara 2:143] "Ummatan Wasata"

Allah almighty says in the Quran:

Thus We have made you* a Wasat (just) (and the best) nation, that you be witnesses over mankind.
[Al-Baqara 2:143]

"Ummatan Wasata" Means Nation that is the best, the just, the balanced, and the fair. Not one which goes to any extremes.

[*true Muslims are the real believers of Islâmic Monotheism, true followers of Prophet Muhammad SAW and his Sunnah (legal ways)]
  • Allah guides People with his words "to ways of peace"
Allah, most high, says in the Quran:

{O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has come to you Our Messenger (Muhammad SAW) explaining to you much of that which you used to hide from the Scripture and passing over (i.e. leaving out without explaining) much. Indeed, there has come to you from Allâh a light (Prophet Muhammad SAW ) and a plain Book (this Qur'ân).

Wherewith Allâh guides all those who seek His Good Pleasure to ways of peace, and He brings them out of darkness by His Will unto light and guides them to a Straight Way (Islâmic Monotheism). }
[Quran Surah Ma'idah 5:15-16]

Indeed, the message of Islam is about submitting to Allah and worhipping him alone. All people have a choice regarding this message. There is no compulsion in following Islam or not. It is not upon any Muslim to force another to do any action.
  • Justice:
Allah says in the Quran:

O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allâh, even though it be against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, be he rich or poor, Allâh is a Better Protector to both (than you). So follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you may avoid justice, and if you distort your witness or refuse to give it, verily, Allâh is Ever Well Acquainted with what you do [4:135]

So, Muslims are those who strive to attain justice, between themselves and with other people.

Allah, most high, also says:

(They like to) listen to falsehood, to devour anything forbidden. So if they come to you (O Muhammad SAW), either judge between them, or turn away from them. If you turn away from them, they cannot hurt you in the least. And if you judge, judge with justice between them. Verily, Allâh loves those who act justly. [5:42]
  • Prophet was a Mercy for Mankind
And We have sent you (O Muhammad SAW) not but as a mercy for the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists). [21:107]
  • Patience and Forgiveness
"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e., don't punish them).'' (7:199)

"...who repress anger, and who pardon men; verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good-doers).'' (3:134)

"The good deed and the evil deed cannot be equal. Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e., Allah orders the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly) then verily he, between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend. But none is granted it (the above quality) except those who are patient - and none is granted it except the owner of the great portion (of happiness in the Hereafter, i.e., Jannah and of a high moral character) in this world.'' (41:34,35)

The way (of blame) is only against those who oppress men and wrongly rebel in the earth, for such there will be a painful torment. (42:42)

"And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.'' (42:43)
  • Islam Encourages Kindness and Humility:
In the Noble Quran, Allah, the most gracious most high says:

And by the Mercy of Allah, you dealt with them gently. And had you been severe and harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you; so pass over (their faults), and ask (Allah's) Forgiveness for them; and consult them in the affair. Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him). [3:159]

The Prophet Muhammad :saw: said:
"Allah is not kind to him who is not kind to people." [Muslim & Bukhari]

Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Allah is Forbearer and loves forbearance in all matters.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Mildness also brings human beings closer to one another, and on this count, Allah likes it very much.

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Allah is Forbearer and He loves forbearance, and rewards for forbearance while He does not reward severity, and does not give for any thing besides it (forbearance).''
[Muslim]

Mildness is the opposite of harshness. Allah enjoins softness and dislikes stiffness in human relations. Allah assures of reward for gentle behaviour in society, not for unkindness or anything like that. However, inflexibility is preferred to flexibility when there arises a question of religious matters and the limits set by Allah.

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said,"Shall I not tell you whom the (Hell) Fire is forbidden to touch? It is forbidden to touch a man who is always accessible, having polite and tender nature.''
[At-Tirmidhii].

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: A man asked the Prophet (PBUH) to give him advice, and he (PBUH) said, "Do not get angry.'' The man repeated that several times and he (PBUH) replied (every time), "Do not get angry.''
[Al-Bukhari].

Jarir bin `Abdullah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "He who is deprived of forbearance and gentleness is, in fact, deprived of all good.''
[Muslim].

Abdullah ibn Abbas, the Prophet’s cousin, stated that he heard the Prophet saying: “A believer is not the one who eats his fill when his neighbour is hungry.” [Related by Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, Al-Hakim and Al-Baihaqi].
  • Gentleness and Forgiveness are the Keys to paradise and an attribute of a True Muslim
{And march forth in the way (which leads to) forgiveness from your Lord, and for Paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for Al-Muttaqûn (the pious).

Those who spend [in Allâh's Cause - deeds of charity, alms, etc.] in prosperity and in adversity, who repress anger, and who pardon men; verily, Allâh loves Al-Muhsinûn(the good­doers).} [3: 133-134]

So, the Muttaqun and Muhsinun, i.e. the Muslims are those who share these amazing qualities. It is something each and every Muslim must attain.

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I never felt any piece of velvet or silk softer than the palm of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), nor did I smell any fragrance more pleasant than the smell of Messenger of Allah (PBUH). I served him for ten years, and he never said `Uff' (an expression of disgust) to me. He never said `why did you do that?' for something I had done, nor did he ever say `why did you not do such and such' for something I had not done.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "The dearest and nearest among you to me on the Day of Resurrection will be one who is the best of you in manners; and the most abhorrent among you to me and the farthest of you from me will be the pompous, the garrulous, and Al-Mutafaihiqun.'' The Companions asked him: "O Messenger of Allah! We know about the pompous and the garrulous, but we do not know who Al-Mutafaihiqun are.'' He replied: "The arrogant people.''
[At-Tirmidhi].

This gentleness, kindness, patience must be shown to all people. This includes non-Muslims. For Islam teaches Muslims, not only to tolerate non-Muslims but to show kindness to everyone we are at peace with. To deal with other people in a just, fair and mild manner is something that is encouraged. The Prophet Muhammad :saw: and his companions were leading example in this. -

Infact, kindness is not simply limited to people,

The Prophet:saw: also said:
"Those who are kind and considerate to Allah's creatures, Allah bestows His kindness and affection on them. Show kindness to the creatures on the earth so that Allah may be kind to you." [Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi]

Islam emphasises justice, equality between race, gender and rich and poor.

--------------------------