What would be right?

hopintobelucky

AOA everyone,

I have a complicated issue at hand. There is a current masjid being built around the corner and at first when I heard about it, I subconsciously said in my head 'I'm gonna be giving $10000' which is not really a small amount . So now I don't know if I should be donating this type of amount or not. I mean it was just an impulse and subconscious thinking, does it then become a promise with Allah??

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum.

Sahih International:
Allah does not impose blame upon you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He imposes blame upon you for what your hearts have earned. And Allah is Forgiving and Forbearing.

Muhsin Khan:
Allah will not call you to account for that which is unintentional in your oaths, but He will call you to account for that which your hearts have earned. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Forbearing.

[Quran 2:225]

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah, it does not sound like an oath. It is as you said an impulsive thought.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Wa Alaikkum Asalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Your first instinct was the correct one. If you can afford it then do give to the trust that is building the masjid. Your reward will be unfathomable. I can tell you from personal experience that when you give to the needy when you don't have much money Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala will multiply it within days.

Your doubt is from satan.

Also a new masjid so close to you, isn't a blessing?

hopintobelucky

Hehe but actually I'm unemployed right now so I don't know if it is a must to give it since I have heard that Allah appreciates our good deeds but doesn't require us to be too harsh on ourselves. So what do you say???

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

Make dua that they receive the funding they need, for their success in completing the building, and for the wellbeing of those doing the work.. you get the idea, in shaa Allah

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
AOA everyone,

I have a complicated issue at hand. There is a current masjid being built around the corner and at first when I heard about it, I subconsciously said in my head 'I'm gonna be giving $10000' which is not really a small amount . So now I don't know if I should be donating this type of amount or not. I mean it was just an impulse and subconscious thinking, does it then become a promise with Allah??
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaah.

Sister, that doesn't count as a vow (nadhr). What you did sounds more like making an intention (niyyah), and there's a difference between the two.

You can read more about vows here inshaa'Allaah.

hopintobelucky

In my mind it was like a 'I will do it' but now when I think of it, I will have to be giving money for qurbani as well during the Eid inshallah so I'm thinking if I give half the amount and the other half will go in the spending towards Allah anyway. What do you think????

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I don't think it is anybody's place to tell you how much to give and how much to keep for yourself. Charity is best when the right hand gives and the left hand is unaware, as secretly as possible, solely for Allah's pleasure. In mentioning it, in publicising it, not only do we lose some of that ikhlaas, but the reward diminishes too. Do what you feel is right, where you will feel utmost ease and what seems fitting for your situation. May Allah give you your due reward, it indeed is a noble intention.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
That answer, answering it to yourself, not in terms of its factuality and reasoning, depends on your nature. Personally, I feel anything communicated to myself, is a communication with my Creator, so I try to adhere to the small promises I make in my own mind, even to myself, as if it were a promise to Allah. Although, I am well aware that a promise to Allah needs to be more explicit, I try to go by it (the positive impulse), because at the end of the day, despite my many relationships, the one I share with my conscience is the most important to me for my character-building, spirituality, self-restraint and self-worth. But again, this all comes back to my saying that it depends on you as a person. If you feel bound by your impulses, go for it, if you don't, and feel your promises come differently, divide the amount accordingly, and go from there.

Again, my response comes down to human nature, and not the prescribed reasoning behind an oath and an intention.