When does a slave know that a trial is a test or a punishment ?

Asalaamalikum,

Indeed an interesting question to contemplate about. I'm now making an observation, that non-Muslims in general do not get tested as hard as Muslims because they would not know who to turn to nor are they stronger in faith.

There is a thin line between a test and punishment, one has to reflect about why something is happening to them - if they did something that angered Allah swt or they are a strong righteous believer and Allah wants to see how strong they really are.

Allah swt assesses each one of us and we are never afflicted with a trial beyond our limits. Meaning that Allah will not give a person a trial that they could not bear or handle. Thus, the harder your trials in this life the more rewards for overcoming them and resting your faith and returning to Allah swt. May Allah help us all conquer our trials, especially in these tragic times.

There is no reason to think that the two cannot be combined. God can punish and test at the same time and with the same affliction. The affliction itself is a punishment and the servant's endurance of it is a trial he can pass (or fail) and turn into a reward (or more punishment)!

For those who think that they have done nothing to be punished for, reflect on verse 16:61 or 80:23!

Asalaamalikum,

I agree also. Beautifully and logically said.

For those who think that they have done nothing to be punished for, reflect on verse 16:61 or 80:23!

No one is sin free i beleive everyone has committed something wrong at some stage of their lives. I heard in one of Muhammad Alshareef lectures that every hardship that befalls you is a punishment for a sin you have committed? And it could also be a test so you have to be patient…

:wasalam: