When is backbiting allowed ?

hassana elkoussi

:salam2:

Some cases in which gheebah ( backbiting) is permitted

Praise be to Allaah.

Gheebah (backbiting) means saying something about one’s Muslim brother that he dislikes, such as criticizing him and running him down and the like. But there are some situations mentioned by the scholars in which a Muslim may talk about his brother if that serves an interest.

These situations include asking for one’s rights from a wrongdoer, so he may say to the judge or ruler, for example: So and so wronged me by doing such and such.

Another case is seeking a fatwa, where the person may say to the mufti: So and so did such and such to me; does he have the right to do that or not?

Another case is warning the Muslims against evil or dubious people,such as exposing those in whose character is something questionable with regard to among narration (of hadeeth) and testimony.

Another case is asking about a person in cases of marriage, business or neighbourhood.

Another case is mentioning by name those who commit evil openly

Another case is identifying a person if there is no intention of belittling him, so that he is known by a nickname such as al-A’mash (bleary-eyed), al-A’raj (lame), al-Asamm (deaf) and so on.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Fataawa Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta’ (26/10).

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
it's hard sometimes to not criticize. sometimes we think that we aren't backbiting someone, when in fact we really are. lately i've been trying to keep in mind the saying that if i should either speak good or remain silent. so now, when i am at work, which is a place of much gossiping and backbiting, i pretty much don't say anything; and now people think their is something wrong with me because i don't talk very often.

i also begin to think about how certain parts of our bodies will be witnesses either for us or against us on the day of judgement. so i don't want my tongue to say that i used it for bad speech and backbiting.

hassana elkoussi

it's hard sometimes to not criticize. sometimes we think that we aren't backbiting someone, when in fact we really are. lately i've been trying to keep in mind the saying that if i should either speak good or remain silent. so now, when i am at work, which is a place of much gossiping and backbiting, i pretty much don't say anything; and now people think their is something wrong with me because i don't talk very often.

i also begin to think about how certain parts of our bodies will be witnesses either for us or against us on the day of judgement. so i don't want my tongue to say that i used it for bad speech and backbiting.

Well, let me tell you about my personal experience with this. When I first decided to give up on backbiting at work, it took quite some time. Whenever my colleagues would start some gossiping, i would tell them," ok i have to leave the room now as gossiping is haaram and i don't want to have more sins " and i would leave the room for a few minutes. when this was repeated for several times, they understood and respected this and they wouldn't start any gossiping when i'm around. And you know what, some of them stopped gossiping too.Give it a try, I'm sure it'll work. Salam