When will I be forgiven?

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
:salam2: Brothers and Sisters!

Just a quick simple question:
How do we know when Allah will forgive our sins or accept our repentance? If we have committed major sins and sought sincere repentance (i.e. fulfilled all conditions - refrain from, never do it again etc..), do we have to continue to ask Allah for forgiveness for that specific sin for all our lives? Or is it okay to assume that Allah has forgiven us?
Its not a question about becoming tired of asking for forgiveness, it a question of living with the guilt or shame...

JazakAllah

a_stranger

:wasalam:

Dear sister I shall tell you something that might help:

It is reported that Prophet Dawud (as) used to say in his supplication; ‘O Lord! How can I ever duly thank You, when my thanking You is also a favour from You to me’.*! Allah answered him, ‘Now, you have thanked Me sufficiently, O Dawud’.*!

I think when we know for sure that Allah subhanahu wa taaala is the one who forgives all the sins and ask for forgiveness sincerely I pray that we are forgiven . Remembering our sins make us come closer to Allah by doing more good in our life ,by making more duaa, by being humble.......all that is useful in worshipping Allah subhanahu wa taaala. And Allah knows best.

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}

How do we know when Allah will forgive our sins or accept our repentance? If we have committed major sins and sought sincere repentance (i.e. fulfilled all conditions - refrain from, never do it again etc..), do we have to continue to ask Allah for forgiveness for that specific sin for all our lives? Or is it okay to assume that Allah has forgiven us?
Its not a question about becoming tired of asking for forgiveness, it a question of living with the guilt or shame...

JazakAllah

asalaam aleykum;

AlhamduLiLaah, the questioner is female.

can you put into words...(when u felt)that your new born baby....has pain etc?

absence and the help you answer your question, but for this example hopefully benefit

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
asalaam aleykum;

AlhamduLiLaah, the questioner is female.

can you put into words...(when u felt)that your new born baby....has pain etc?

absence and the help you answer your question, but for this example hopefully benefit

:salam2:
What has me being female have to do with the question? I dont get it?
And I am not married so dont have children :S
I dont understand your answer... please could you explain...

JazakAllah

Ershad

JazakAllah

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) said:
I heard the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) saying, "Allah, the Exalted, has said: 'O son of Adam! I shall go on forgiving you so long as you pray to Me and aspire for My forgiveness whatever may be your sins. O son of Adam! I do not care even if your sins should pile up to the sky and should you beg pardon of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam! If you come to Me with an earthful of sins and meet Me, not associating anything with Me in worship, I will certainly grant you as much pardon as will fill the earth."'

[At-Tirmidhi].

Contemplate on this Hadith. Allah is all-forgiving, Al-Gafur. We sin everytime with and without our knowledge. Allah knows what we do. Shame and guilt is a necessary element to prevent us from sin. It is not bad. But, Allah also asks you to never lose hope on him. And keep asking for forgiveness. We need his constant forgiveness and guidance. I wouldn't assume he has forgiven me and stop asking, rather, I have hope in Him and continue asking. Because, no matter how perfect we try to be, we sin knowingly and unknowningly. So, we need constant forgiveness and guidance.

From Islam QA

Secondly, you say, “How would I know whether Allaah has forgiven me or not?”

You should note that whoever repents sincerely, Allaah accepts his repentance and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. He has promised the one who repents to Him that He will forgive him his sins. He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful’”

[al-Zumar 39:53]

When Allaah promises something, He does not break His promise.

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful.

And whosoever repents and does righteous good deeds; then verily, he repents towards Allaah with true repentance”

[al-Furqaan 25:70-71]

In this aayah, Allaah tells us that He will replace the bad deeds of the one who repents into good deeds, and this is one of the blessings of repentance.

The Muslim must live his life in a state between fear and hope, fearing his sins and not feeling safe from the Plan of Allaah, and not being certain that he will enter Paradise. For the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), even though they were so righteous and pious, were not like this, rather they feared their Lord and worshipped Him with fear and hope. So the Muslim must obey Allaah and repent and hope for the mercy of Allaah, knowing that Allaah forgives and accepts the repentance of the one who repents to Him, so he hopes that Allaah will forgive him. He knows that Allaah accepts and loves the righteous deeds of His slave, so he strives to do righteous deeds hoping that they will be accepted. If he lives in this state, fearing his sins and hoping for the mercy of his Lord, he will strive to worship Him and keep away from sin, asking Allaah to reward him for his righteous deeds until he meets Him when He is pleased with him, and he seeks refuge with Allaah from his heart being turned away or his situation changing, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray, “O Controller of the hearts, make my heart steadfast in Your religion.”

I hope this clears your doubts, Inshaa Allah.

Source:
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/13693

kalamazoo

What has me being female have to do with the question? I dont get it?
And I am not married so dont have children :S
I dont understand your answer... please could you explain...

JazakAllah

shukran;

am sorry I though you have children, may be someone will come up simplifying my answer

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) said:
I heard the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) saying, "Allah, the Exalted, has said: 'O son of Adam! I shall go on forgiving you so long as you pray to Me and aspire for My forgiveness whatever may be your sins. O son of Adam! I do not care even if your sins should pile up to the sky and should you beg pardon of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam! If you come to Me with an earthful of sins and meet Me, not associating anything with Me in worship, I will certainly grant you as much pardon as will fill the earth."'

[At-Tirmidhi].

Contemplate on this Hadith. Allah is all-forgiving, Al-Gafur. We sin everytime with and without our knowledge. Allah knows what we do. Shame and guilt is a necessary element to prevent us from sin. It is not bad. But, Allah also asks you to never lose hope on him. And keep asking for forgiveness. We need his constant forgiveness and guidance. I wouldn't assume he has forgiven me and stop asking, rather, I have hope in Him and continue asking. Because, no matter how perfect we try to be, we sin knowingly and unknowningly. So, we need constant forgiveness and guidance.

From Islam QA

I hope this clears your doubts, Inshaa Allah.

Source:
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/13693

Shukran Brother, this does help a lot...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The thing about faith is that it can be very simple. It is a Trust factor. We ask Him to forgive us. We pray. We give zakat. We do good deeds. We try to be in constant remembrance of Him.

We are physical beings. And often we can tell when we are in a state of grace. I see those who are pious. You know they are always happy. No matter what the urgency of the issue is they find a way to smile.

The slave is pleased to Serve his Master.

In a state of sin there is no Trust. The body fights. There are mysterious ailments that impede joy.

As to the Brother who used a loving analogy of childbirth..upon birth a mother feels a total release of burden..a physical emptying..and then her eyes fall upon the best thing that ever can happen in life..a bundle of joy..

and that is kindasorta what the blessing of forgiveness can feel like..

How He Loves Us, Subhana Allah.

kalamazoo

Assalaam walaikum,

The thing about faith is that it can be very simple. It is a Trust factor. We ask Him to forgive us. We pray. We give zakat. We do good deeds. We try to be in constant remembrance of Him.

We are physical beings. And often we can tell when we are in a state of grace. I see those who are pious. You know they are always happy. No matter what the urgency of the issue is they find a way to smile.

In a state of sin there is no Trust. The body fights. There are mysterious ailments that impede joy.

As to the Brother who used a loving analogy of childbirth..upon birth a mother feels a total release of burden..a physical emptying..and then her eyes fall upon the best thing that ever can happen in life..a bundle of joy..

Subhaana LLAH

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Assalaam walaikum,

I love so much answers of Aapa.

:shymuslima1: And I love hers cookies too.