where do you prefer?

gazkour

Theres no better place on this earth than Makkah, If i was to chose i would chose to live and die in Makkah..

during the migration to Madinah, he (saw) said about Makkah with tears in his (saw) eyes, "You are the most beloved land of Allah to me because you are the most beloved land of Allah to Allah."

Well that would be the 'ideal' . Unfortunately the 'ideal' is not always real. What I mean is that getting a residential visa , I've always heard that, is virtually impossible and that even if your kids are born there,because you're not from there, they will never get the citizenship. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحم الله

I have currently extremely conflicted views on this subject that I have been thinking about for a while. I live in the US right now, but I'm not sure if I should continue to live here after I finish college for a few different reasons.
#1- Quran tells us not to take unbelievers as protectors
#2- US is at war with Muslims
#3- Feeling guilty raising family here knowing that they would probably become kuffar after a few generations.
#4- I would be happier living around Muslims

Prophet Mohammed (saaw) said, "Whoever joins a Mushrik and lives with him is like him." (Abu Daud, at-Tirmidhi)

also Jabir relates the Prophet (saaw) said, "I am free of every Muslim who lives among the Musrikeen." We asked, "Why is that, O Messenger of Allah?" He replied, "Their fires should not be visible to one another." (Abu Daud)

for more details: http://www.allaahuakbar.net/scholars/uthaymeen/residing_in_land_of_unbelievers.htm

abdellah007

salam alaykum brothers and sister.

I hope we would only talk about family and raising children and not going further than this.

nblueblaze

A Brother
Salaam,

I am an Indian muslim. Love my country a lot and proudly call it as my dear home. I work in an US based IT Co. in India but would like to migrate to UK/USA soon (next yr to be precise, Insha-Allah) for better job prospects, planning to work there for 8-10 years.

I would definitely love to settle down in a Islamic country preferably safe Middle countries-UAE, Qatar, Oman for a long term, perticularly UAE. It would be very difficult for me to settle at K.S.A (Saudi Arabia) since I personally believe the social rules are ultra-conservative and ultra-strict over there.

nblueblaze

A Brother
Well that would be the 'ideal' . Unfortunately the 'ideal' is not always real. What I mean is that getting a residential visa , I've always heard that, is virtually impossible and that even if your kids are born there,because you're not from there, they will never get the citizenship. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

Correct....they can may you a visa valid for 90/99years but never a citizenship.!!!!!

Well if i chose to move to a muslim country the only choice i would have would be to move to pakistan...but then i wonder whether i can still call pakistan a muslim country anymore :confused:
I agree with you, some of the islamic countries are so corrupt now that it makes you think twice about them.

habib786

as for me i would like to raise my kids in a islamic country and if i'm given the choice i would prefer makkah or medina................ and i will inshallah try in the future some ways to settle there ... if Allah is willing ......

dianek

I am American. My husband is from Jordan. Before i met my husband, I thought the world was just a corrupt, loveless, selfish, dangerous and scary place. I was starting to think i was the only one left with a heart. All I saw around me was sex, violence, addictions, liars, cheaters, etc., and I was tired of it. I was giving up because I thought there was nothing left to hope for in this life. I don't know where I would be if I had not met him. I know that the morals I see in him are things I have never seen in anyone. I knew nothing about Islam or the middle east when I met him, but the moment I saw him I knew he was different. I believe it is because of the way AND place he was raised. He grew up in a kind muslim family in the middle east. Maybe there are issues there, but I would rather deal with them than the issues here. I would like to be in a place where people do not get murdered and raped everyday. I want to live in Jordan and raise my children there, because no matter what issues that country may have, I will chose those issues over the issues America faces ANY DAY. Everyday that I stay in America, I feel more and more ready to get out of here.

Salaam! I am American as well but I don't think I agree with you. I think it is all where you live in the US that makes the difference. I have no fear where I live, no worries about violence, no concerns. I am content where I am in the US. There is bad everywhere, but I have found that for the most part, if you keep your own nose clean, you aren't likely to find any trouble any more here than somewhere else. There is indiscriminate crimes that happen EVERYWHERE! But I am not fearful where I am, I am happy here in the US. On the opposite side of that equation, we own a home in Tunis, not middle eastern but still Muslim country, I just can't see myself LIVING there permanently......I just couldn't. Maybe it is because I have always lived relatively rurally here.....even in Richmond where I live now is all suburbs not CITY. Besides what God wills to happen will happen ANYWHERE to ANYONE...so why does it matter east or west. Isn't the content of the person's character the important thing? How they teach their kids? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than right here in the US as a permanent residence.

Salaam! I am American as well but I don't think I agree with you. I think it is all where you live in the US that makes the difference. I have no fear where I live, no worries about violence, no concerns. I am content where I am in the US. There is bad everywhere, but I have found that for the most part, if you keep your own nose clean, you aren't likely to find any trouble any more here than somewhere else. There is indiscriminate crimes that happen EVERYWHERE! But I am not fearful where I am, I am happy here in the US. On the opposite side of that equation, we own a home in Tunis, not middle eastern but still Muslim country, I just can't see myself LIVING there permanently......I just couldn't. Maybe it is because I have always lived relatively rurally here.....even in Richmond where I live now is all suburbs not CITY. Besides what God wills to happen will happen ANYWHERE to ANYONE...so why does it matter east or west. Isn't the content of the person's character the important thing? How they teach their kids? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than right here in the US as a permanent residence.
I couldn't agree with you more. I live in the same area as you do and the muslims here in the bay area are a lot better than some of the muslims in islamic countries that i've seen.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Wa alaikum salaam

well I had sister who lived in U.A.E. and she used to rave about it..saying how diverse it was and how there was so many muslims. and U.A.E is like the fastest developing country in the middle East...now before her..I never really thought about moving outside of country. Until I went to Morocco, now Morocco in my opinion or at least the part I visit which was Rabat and Sella were not how do I SAY THIS not as Islamic as I imagine it would be.But there was something about the culture...the tradition the way ppl live. That at first...I sorta hated it but eventually came to love it. now I really want to go to land of Sheba (Yemen) pretty much for the same reason because of the culture and the way ppl live...I feel being African American...that I really don't have culture and being Islamic country is a plus but there are also plus being America .....like one education system...and even though how health care system sucks..I think its better then most countries. plus my rights....I can pretty much say and act how i WANT and the government really can not do anything to. but insha'allah I am still deciding. I never dream of being a millionaire but i do know my family could live I think better in Yemen then in America...mainly because I am an American. At least that is how it is in U.A.E. u can make more money being American then from U.A.E. so I guess it's base on what is important to you

But also in america I want to help build an islamic school...my ultimate goal is to build an islamic community......by starting islamic stores....like the Jews did and Asisans have done in America. my only problem with that is Islam is such a diverse faith.........I am sorry for rambling but I think about my future a lot. the issue of leaving or staying crosses my mind alot

also i feel the need to say...my sister is not dead; she is living back in U.S. to finish school but inshaallah her family are going back to U.A.E. in December.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
I agree with you, some of the islamic countries are so corrupt now that it makes you think twice about them.

whoooo I think we should not generalize all middle eastern countries as being corrupt....all countries in this world are corrupt and that is because they are led by Man.

whoooo I think we should not generalize all middle eastern countries as being corrupt....all countries in this world are corrupt and that is because they are led by Man.
Oh I never said ALL middle eastern countries, I said SOME of them. Its just that some of the countries have more corrupt people in them than others, thats all.

abdellah007

Wa alaikum salaam

well I had sister who lived in U.A.E. and she used to rave about it..saying how diverse it was and how there was so many muslims. and U.A.E is like the fastest developing country in the middle East...now before her..I never really thought about moving outside of country. Until I went to Morocco, now Morocco in my opinion or at least the part I visit which was Rabat and Sella were not how do I SAY THIS not as Islamic as I imagine it would be.But there was something about the culture...the tradition the way ppl live. That at first...I sorta hated it but eventually came to love it. now I really want to go to land of Sheba (Yemen) pretty much for the same reason because of the culture and the way ppl live...I feel being African American...that I really don't have culture and being Islamic country is a plus but there are also plus being America .....like one education system...and even though how health care system sucks..I think its better then most countries. plus my rights....I can pretty much say and act how i WANT and the government really can not do anything to. but insha'allah I am still deciding. I never dream of being a millionaire but i do know my family could live I think better in Yemen then in America...mainly because I am an American. At least that is how it is in U.A.E. u can make more money being American then from U.A.E. so I guess it's base on what is important to you

But also in america I want to help build an islamic school...my ultimate goal is to build an islamic community......by starting islamic stores....like the Jews did and Asisans have done in America. my only problem with that is Islam is such a diverse faith.........I am sorry for rambling but I think about my future a lot. the issue of leaving or staying crosses my mind alot

also i feel the need to say...my sister is not dead; she is living back in U.S. to finish school but inshaallah her family are going back to U.A.E. in December.

the issue of not deciding yet is the same for me too. well i live in morocco and the destination is germany, so you have been in rabat and salle, i have been in rabat last october and as it is the capital ,people react and look as civilised people and so attrackted by the western stuff.

Córdoba

:salam2:

It's sad really but the influence of the west has spread everywhere - especially due to the weakness of our so called leaders. I remember being in Makkah a while back making Umrah. I was in awe of the beauty surrounding me but when I saw the 'golden arches' of macdonalds just outside the masjid, I felt sickened to the core!

At the end of the day, like so many brothers and sisters have said, each place has its benefits and disadvantages. Personally though, having spent most of my life in Britain and lived in two predominately Muslim countries for a couple of years each, I prefer the latter. Even though you may have to give up many of the luxuries, privileges and even in some cases basic rights which you take for granted in Western countries.

Wasalam

hager

well

well,
it's doesn't matter,the west,the east...

i don't think,that there's something gonna effect on my kids..cuz,i'll raise them up well,islamicly..
So,np:)

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
^ But the environment they are in will definitely have an impact on their characters, basically by the time they start school they're spending more and more time with people outside of your control because they spend more hours at school than at home, so however Islamic you make your household, unless you homeschooled or something the society you are in is important.

suhail_ahamed

i m completely agreed to sayedahash
and i also appreciate the thoughts that rtbour has said..
but i would like to add sth to it ,, that look inside of urself and think r u really afraid ,,do u really believe in Allah.. then
left all the circumstances to the almighty Allah ,allah will takecare of it ,,
just have ur love, faith and peace with u.. where ever u will live that place will be safe and good for u and ur kids also..and ur kids learn the most from u (parents) then school and other buddies comes..
:jazaak:

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam.

i'm origanally from morocco, but lived my entire life in foreign countries. but i would really like to return with my family, when i grow up and have a good payed career go back to morocco. then insha'allah start a family there. or maybe to the uae. Allah subhan wa ta3ala knows:)

um_mustafa

sister in Islam

It's sad really but the influence of the west has spread everywhere - especially due to the weakness of our so called leaders. I remember being in Makkah a while back making Umrah. I was in awe of the beauty surrounding me but when I saw the 'golden arches' of macdonalds just outside the masjid, I felt sickened to the core!

At the end of the day, like so many brothers and sisters have said, each place has its benefits and disadvantages. Personally though, having spent most of my life in Britain and lived in two predominately Muslim countries for a couple of years each, I prefer the latter. Even though you may have to give up many of the luxuries, privileges and even in some cases basic rights which you take for granted in Western countries.

Wasalam

Salams , I totaly agree with you as my own experiance is a bit like yours but I have lived now in Libya for almost 20 years, and even though there is a lot lacking etc, I still feel it has been the best place to rise my 6 children , especily as it has given them the arabic which is so important for their religion , which is the main reason for me leaving my own country , England,and even thought some cultural parctices are not from Islam a lot of it is there, in their hospitality, family and extended family life, caring for each other etc, I have met muslim friends from Europe and there is a diffence from the way their children react to every day situations which identify that they have been brought up in the West, it is really very important for your children, where you decide to live.

Of course there is no true Islamic country there days but it is a much better situation bring your children up among muslims rather then being guests in a country where their state religion is different and the goverment are actualy fighting Islam. I think if we chose to live in a non islamic enviroment we should not complain.Allah ta'laa has made the earth spacious for us.
Inshallah I hope this helps and of course in the end this is my own personal experiance, I pray that we all make the right choices and Allah to reward us for our efforts for the only real thing important in this life is our relationship with our Lord to do our best to please him and win a place in Jannah inshallah
W/salam
Um Mustafa

Salaam,

It depends solely on the person. There are advantages and disadvantages in both societies. Even disadvantage can actually have an advantage. You can learn from your mistakes in a disadvantage aspect of society. This is trial and learn not trial and error.

Thomas Edison, the American inventor of the electric light bulb failed 25,000 times in creating electricity for his light bulb. A reporter once said to him, "How do you feel about failing 25,000 times?" Edison replied, "I didn't fail 25,000 times, I learned that there are 25,000 ways electricity doesn't work!"

This simple story shows that humans are not perfect nor are any society. Look at the big picture, whether we choose to live in the East or West, life is still a test for a Muslim. See the forest through the trees.....